Need help upgrading an Old Computer

Sony VAIO RA820G thats my old computer thats about 6-7 years old now. I got a new one but I still want to upgrade this one so I can use it for my TV. I want to change its case/tower and upgrade the ram and video card but I don't know which case, ram, and video card is compatible with it. I already changed the video card once to a 8500GT but that was 3 years ago. Now I really need more ram and a better case.

Please give me Canadian retailer site links to help. :) thank you
(NCIX. NEWEGG.CA, TIGERDIRECT.CA, CANADA COMPUTERS, ETC-)
6 answers Last reply
More about need upgrading computer
  1. i'm assuming that the mobo is ATX... i even saw a picture of the PC online and judging from it looks ATX... So you need a new case and memory and thats OK... if you are using it just for TV then the 8500 GT should be sufficient unless you need a new card for digital connectivity...

Any mid tower case should do the trick and since its a rebuild you should go for something feasible rather than expensive... for around US$ 40 you have a variety of choice in Silverstone Precision (with a $10 mail-in rebate), Cooler Master Elite 310 or 330 in newegg.ca...

You also have a mini tower option in Cooler Master Elite 360

Since i cant find your mobo specs from what i could find online about the VAIO, the original memory is 1GB PC-3200 400MHz DDR... if your mobo has 4 memory slots then add these Mushkin 2 x 1GB memory... if only 2 slots then replace them with these two new ones... I think that 2GB is the max expansion you can go...

If you need a new GPU (i seriously dont think you need more than your existing card) and if its just for streaming HD content on TV then the Sapphire Radeon HD 5450... it should fit into the pci express slot in your mobo...
  2. The case isn't ATX. I don't know what it is but its definitely not atx because my new comp is. The PSU is bigger then the ATX's PSU. The 5450 I already bought but its too old to support 2.1 PCI.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/VGCRA820G_mksp.pdf

thats the specs. x16 PCI. Everytime I throw in the 5450 it won't show up any screen so I have to stick with the 8500GT. Unless theres an BIOS update or something I have to do
  3. I didnt ask about the case, i wanted to know what your mobo is... from what i'm looking at it looks Micro ATX (4 expansion slots)... then a mid tower or mini tower shouldn't be a problem...

Stick with the 8500 GT if it has digital output like DVI or HDMI... the ones i have seen has atleast a DVI... it should be sufficient for TV playback...
  4. hmm, ive seen that case before, funky design for sure. why not stick with it?
  5. Friend broke the front panel thing so it looks retarded. Got the 5450 to work by updating my BIOS. At this point I just need a different case and probably PSU since it probably won't fit. This stuff is so outdated though. So if you have any recommendations for cases that would for sure fit please give me links (NCIX preferably).
  6. As i said earlier you could consider Silverstone Precision, or Cooler Master Elite 310 for midtower option... or a mini tower in Cooler Master Elite 360...

I have picked them out in NCIX for you... For the Cooler Master Elite 360 NCIX has an optional one with 350W PSU for CAD 58...
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Graphics Cards Computer Components