Sign in with
Your question

Headaches?

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2010 6:02:45 PM

Hi.

I've built a new PC but I've noticed that the new build tires me out more,giving headaches etc. I know it's not that unusual after long gaming sessions but I usually get them even when web browsing or watching films,etc.
I've got a laptop and I don't suffer from headaches when using it.
I wonder if a part of the new system causes this? The monitor is the same as my old PC,but now I'm conneting it to the VGA with and adapter.
(The VGA is HDMI and the mıonitor is analog.)I suspected the VGA,tried replacing it with my old one,didn't differ that much...Is it possible for another component to cause headaches?

Thanks

More about : headaches

a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2010 8:51:27 PM

What's the refresh rate and resolution? Usually, a low refresh rate and a using a high resolution (as in really small text, and you arn't zooming) can cause head aches. This are the only thing I can think of. But, this really is not normal...
September 20, 2010 6:21:21 AM

1280x1024 at 60 Hz. Though it was the same before building the new system...Also,does Hz matter at LCD monitors?
I've changed the calibration (brigtness,contrast etc.) a bit after buying the new system,but I'm not sure if that's the reason...

Another thing is that I've noticed my (new) GTX 470 casuses pixellation when enlarging a video meant to be played by REAL PLAYER.Only happens with that format.Switching back to Radeon X1600 changes that at least but I still gat headaches...=(
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 9:44:05 AM

I basically agree with Shadow703793 :
Headache is caused usually by the flickering picture on your monitor, you might not recognize the flickering instantly but you will get headache after a while.
This effect is strenghten with lower refresh rate, to small letters/icons, higher contrast and brightness.
Trust me, those above are written by me according to my own headache experiences.

An LCD monitor has less problem to headache than the CRTs, LCDs consume also less power for the same screen size. That is why I have thrown away all of my CRTs about 3 years ago.

I say... :
1. Increase the refresh frequency (lower the resolution if you have to)
2. increse the size of the letters and icons
3. don't put too high contrast and brightness

But remember : The best solution is to replace your CRT and get a LCD monitor.

Infos :
1. About the pixelallation...this could be caused by the immature driver...but I dunno for sure..
September 20, 2010 11:20:26 AM

guanyu210379 said:
I basically agree with Shadow703793 :
Headache is caused usually by the flickering picture on your monitor, you might not recognize the flickering instantly but you will get headache after a while.
This effect is strenghten with lower refresh rate, to small letters/icons, higher contrast and brightness.
Trust me, those above are written by me according to my own headache experiences.

An LCD monitor has less problem to headache than the CRTs, LCDs consume also less power for the same screen size. That is why I have thrown away all of my CRTs about 3 years ago.

I say... :
1. Increase the refresh frequency (lower the resolution if you have to)
2. increse the size of the letters and icons
3. don't put too high contrast and brightness

But remember : The best solution is to replace your CRT and get a LCD monitor.

Infos :
1. About the pixelallation...this could be caused by the immature driver...but I dunno for sure..

I'm already using a LCD actually. LG1960SR...Seems like it's no longer produced though...
The brightness is 40 and contrast is 75.I took the laptop screen that doesn't disturb me as the reference.
I'll try changing the icon size,and,thanks.

a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 1:32:10 PM

Hmmmm...headache caused by LCD monitor?...hmmm....
My LCD monitors at home don't cause headache anymore, I got those d*mn headaches only in front of tube monitors.
Interesting.

Perhaps it is better to start thinking how to reduce the headache not only from adjusting the settings.
Hmmm...OK...now
What is the full spec of your monitor? (I have tried to search for that monitor in google, but no success of finding decent information)
especially the max refresh rate and on what resolution.

Your situation :
Your GPU should has : DVI-D and HDMI. You should also receive DVI-D to VGA converter.
Your monitor should has : VGA and/or DVI-D connectors.
Hmmm...you must be using DVI-D to VGA adapter correct?

I am also using the converter to my monitor,no problems so far...hmmm...
My monitor is a 75Hz for resolution under 1680x1050 but it goes to only 60Hz for 1680x1050....I am using 1680x1050 at the moment...no headache at all...
My monitor is also about 3 years old and can not be found anywhere anymore on market..
I am really curious about this problem..
September 20, 2010 1:57:16 PM

Well,actually I'm using windows 7 and could not find the driver for that.The CD given with the monitor has Vista drivers but it didn't work.Therefore I cannot tick the "hide the modes this monitor cannot display" box.
The monitor is now at 1280x1024.At 60 Hz.I can make it 75 Hz (but of course the box is unselected),looks like 75 is the max.If I change the resolution to 1024x768,the refresh rate goes 75 automatically.

The thing is,I have used this monitor without problems for like 3-4 years.I'm not really sure if it's the monitor's fault,the only thing changed with the monitor is the calibration I made after getting the new system.
It's not like a motherboard or a CPU can cause headaches,right?I'm kinda suspecting the graphics card though.The calibration too,maybe?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 2:07:34 PM

1. Monitor drivers? Hmmm...try to contact LG..
2. Try 75Hz, the higher the Hz is the less probably you would get the headache.
3. Other components do not have anything to do with this kind of headache.
4. I think the card is fine.
5. I think the monitor is also not yet broken.

a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 3:34:13 PM

^ What he said.
September 20, 2010 4:36:48 PM

So,maybe a monitor with higher refresh rates would help? Still,don't you think it's a little weird for such a thing to occur after using the same monitor at its native refresh rate (60) for 3-4 years?
September 20, 2010 5:39:38 PM

Try 75Hz or anything at 72Hz or above.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 5:46:18 PM

Try changing the lighting in the room.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2010 7:21:54 PM

^+1 changing the light in your room also helps.
!