Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cpu compatibility

Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2011 7:41:16 PM

I recently purchased a kit from tigerdirect. Got it all put together, up and running fine now. Then I got an e-mail stating "we regret to inform you that there may be an incompatibility with the ZOTAC GF6100-F-E Quad Core Barebones Kit. Unfortunately we discovered a possible voltage discrepancy between the motherboard and the processor which may result in the kit not functioning properly." So they are sending me a Biostar N68S3B GeForce Socket AM3 motherboard as a replacement. The cpu in the kit is an AMD Athlon II X4.

I could use some help, I don't want to take my pc apart to switch this out, then mess around to get my OS running again. Best I can tell from a quick google search, I don't have to re-install windows 7, but I still don't take to take the hour to do this.

Any thoughts? Anything in the bios settings I can change? Any idea if this could even be an issue?

Thanks.

edit: after looking, I think the mb is rated for 65w power draw and cpu is 95w. Can I run this for a short time before my new mb arrives???

More about : cpu compatibility

August 10, 2011 3:45:27 AM

its the Athlon II X4 630 ADX630WFK42GI, so yes, 95 tdp.

not to second guess you, as I'm not sure, but is a re-install a must? Because that really sucks. Not hard, just time consuming. No other choices??? Sorry to ask, but this is the 2nd pc I have build, and the comment about bridge is above me.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.
m
l
August 10, 2011 12:32:11 PM

Great, thanks. I will just give it a try, like you said, can't hurt. Thanks again for the help.
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2011 3:06:28 PM

I will let you know how it goes. I will probably just change the mb out, just to be safe. But I did watch cpu temps all day yesterday, the highest it got was during a full virus scan (which I did to check temps), it hit 43c. Normal temps were in the33-35c range.
m
l

Best solution

September 3, 2011 6:47:45 PM

This is funny, i bought the same kit from tigerdirect. They never sent me a email about the incompatability issue, they just sent me the Biostar mobo. I used the Zotac mobo for a month before i switched out to the Biostar and never had any problems what so ever and i was even using a Sparkle GTX 460 vid card that draws alot of power. I also didnt have to reinstall windows 7. I just repaired the files and everything worked fine, i was up and running in about 10 min after the mobo was installed. I'm trying to figure out how to overclock this mobo and cpu now!!!! I have never overclocked before so this should be interesting :)  If anyone knows anything about overclocking this mobo and cpu please let me know, i have no clue what im doing , lol!!!!!
September 13, 2011 12:07:44 AM

Awesome, thanks for the input.

klewlis1 said:
This is funny, i bought the same kit from tigerdirect. They never sent me a email about the incompatability issue, they just sent me the Biostar mobo. I used the Zotac mobo for a month before i switched out to the Biostar and never had any problems what so ever and i was even using a Sparkle GTX 460 vid card that draws alot of power. I also didnt have to reinstall windows 7. I just repaired the files and everything worked fine, i was up and running in about 10 min after the mobo was installed. I'm trying to figure out how to overclock this mobo and cpu now!!!! I have never overclocked before so this should be interesting :)  If anyone knows anything about overclocking this mobo and cpu please let me know, i have no clue what im doing , lol!!!!!

m
l
September 13, 2011 12:08:15 AM

Best answer selected by hpower1.
m
l
September 13, 2011 6:50:26 AM

Athlon II X4 630 2.8Ghz, got it overclocked to 3.2 now, need a diff mobo to go higher now cause its a piece and dont have very many options.
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:05:19 AM

I'm just gonna stick with what i got atm till the BD comes out then plan my real build. I can deal with 3.2 Ghz for now.. But i will need great help later down the road when i get all my gear together to build my system the right way.!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys!!!!
m
l
!