It looks like I have to update my Bios. I need advise.

brin

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I built my PC three years ago And I want to upgrade my CPU. I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 on its way and it looks like I have to update my bios. I’ve tinkered with the bios many times but I never updated it. I'm not sure I should try it . I hear its risky . Anyone have any advise? Thanks

Motherboard – Gigabyte P35-DS3L socket 775
CPU - Intel core2 duo E6850 3.0 GHz
Video card - NVIDIA GTX 470
8Gb of RAM
Power Supply – 650W
Windows7 64

Follow the Gigabyte instructions for downloading and flashing the BIOS. If your system will boot from USB, that is faster than using a floppy, put the files on the USB stick and amke the USB the first boot device in the BIOS.

Caution: Do NOT re-boot, reset, or otherwise shut-off the power until the flash is complete - It will show you on the screen when it is safe to to reboot. It could take as long as 3 to five minutes to flash and verify the update.

brin

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007

I don't have a floppy drive and booting from USB is not an option in my bios. Is there any other way? Gigabyte has this program called @Bios . But im hearing mixed reviews on it.

You can get the latest version of @BIOS that will run in Windows XP 32bit,Windows XP 64bit,Windows Vista 32bit,Windows Vista 64bit,Windows 7 32bit,Windows 7 64bit,Windows 98,Windows Me,Windows 2000 OS's from here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/utility.aspx

Make sure your computer is not overclocked when performing the BIOS update with this Windows application.

Download and extract the latest BIOS file to your hard disk drive first.

Don't use the Internet Update Function. Problems could arise with an unreliable network connection.

brin

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I know this is a dumb question but I don't want to mess this up . I downloaded the new bios and extracted it. @bios says select the bios file.

1.JPG

Which one of these files do I select ?

3.JPG