Upgrades hdd to ssd AND XP to win 8

gaborgabor

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hello community

I am trying to upgrade my XP to win8 AND at the same time replace my laptop's (thinpad T61) hdd to a freshly bought sammy 840 sdd. I am trying to figure out the order of things, but not sure. I prefer a clean install but not sure win8 allows it. I have a win 8 Pro upgrade disk I got with the 840.

Shall I upgrade to win8 on hdd and then clone (which software?) to ssd? Or shall I put in the ssd and try install win8.

Many thanks,

Gabor

a clean install is required to go from XP to 8. If you already have the disk just install it on the SSD. If you don't download it and burn the iso using the upgrade advisor, then do a clean install on the SSD

gaborgabor

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks much!

Unskol, so you mean, just take out hdd, put in sdd and put in win 8 upgrade disk and go?
(I have run a bios upgrade, do i need anything else there?)

Thanks again!

gaborgabor

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Thanks, I'll check it out. What would "clone xp" to sdd imply? Thanks again

gaborgabor

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I just realized I do not have the XP install disk anymore. (I only have the win8 disk) will I not need it when I run the upgrade win8 disk? Thnaks

gaborgabor

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I bought a samsung 840 sdd that included a win8 upgrade disk. Plus an external rack. All around 100 euros.

To sum up for benefit of others, moving hdd to sdd in a T61 laptop AND moving from XP to Windows 8. Maybe there is a simpler way. It worked for me.

0. updated bios - you can download from laptop maker's site
1. copied the contents of hdd to an external drive, incl documents, and stuff.
2. cloned the hdd by using Macrium (about 90mins) and created a boot disk
3. replaced hdd w sdd in laptop (video on youtube)
4. booted XP by disk and copied back image files (about an hour). Restarted two times
5. took Win8 upgrade disk and followed clean install suggestions in http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm
6. installed win 8 (30mins)
7. downloaded new versions by Ninite
8. copied back doc files.

Overall, the 4-year old laptop is much faster, boots quickly. It has 2gb mem, as DDR2 is damn expensive, I kept it this way, but for an extra 50-100 euros, you can go up 4gb and make a difference.

One last thing. Win8 without a touchscreen is stupid, so if you have an extra 100euros, buy win7.