IWD 1/2 and NWN

Just curious how you all think these compare to BG 1/2. Are they similar
enough if you enjoyed BG? I've heard that they are more hack'n'slash
than BG, but are they still pretty deep games?

Also, anyone play Temple of Elemental Evil and have opinions on that one?
25 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Tag Plastic wrote:

    Thanks for the comments you two!

    > Obligatory "If you like story, have you played Planescape:Torment?"

    No, I'm still searching for it. Supposedly one website gets in a few
    each month, and I'm on the list, but I haven't heard from them.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just curious how you all think these compare to BG 1/2. Are they
    similar
    > enough if you enjoyed BG? I've heard that they are more hack'n'slash
    > than BG, but are they still pretty deep games?

    IWD 1 was a lot more hack-n-slash - in fact IMHO it was too much so,
    because one ended up with situations where you quite literally had to
    rest after each and every fight. (Especially when dealing with the
    Barrow Wights, Drowned Ones and Wailing Virgins in the expansion set.)
    This is bad because it means you end up resting two or even three
    times in the day - one should not have to rest more than once every 24
    hours.

    (Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 cope with this by putting greater emphasis on
    exploring and role-playing: while in some cases you may find yourself
    with a fight that leaves you completely depleted, out of spells,
    injured, fatigued and forced to rest once or even twice afterwards,
    the chances are that there won't *be* more than one of those forced on
    you within 24 game hours, whereas in IWD you know that the very next
    fight is going to be just as bad.

    In BG1 and BG2, generally if you have to rest, it's because of fatigue
    due to being awake too long, or having been twice under the influence
    of a Haste spell. In IWD, if you have to rest, it's because you have
    to heal up after getting badly beaten up in the fight you had three
    minutes after waking up (and are possibly fatigued after ONE haste
    spell).

    IWD2 - I just do *not* like the changed system of AD&D 3rd Edition. I
    got bored halfway through Chapter 1. It also suffers from the same
    problem of IWD1, of making the characters rest for 8 hours after 2
    hours of activity because they get so badly beat up in those two
    hours. Role-playing goes completely out the window.

    Both IWD1 and IWD2 have a backstory of sorts, but I think both would
    have been that much better if they had actually concentrated more on
    role-play and less on the fights.

    > Also, anyone play Temple of Elemental Evil and have opinions on that
    one?

    No. Have heard it's extremely buggy, and besides it uses AD&D 3rd
    edition which I hate. For the same reason I have not played
    Neverwinter Nights.

    Jonathan.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Tag Plastic wrote:

    > NWN is very different. You only have proper, fine control over your one
    > character

    That's fine with me, because I like when it's a single main character.
    That's one reason I love Morrowind.

    > samey and a lot of people can't stand the graphics. The HS/Roleplay
    > level of the game, however, depends entirely on the module you are
    > playing.

    Would you say the campaign that comes with NWN is a good game to play on
    its own?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hi,

    As with the others in the newsgroup I agree the baldurs gate series has a
    great story and is for a large part non-linear. You can do a lot of quests
    in any order. Planescape torment has an unique story and a lot more
    conversation than baldur's gate. If you liked BG then I think you like
    planscape too.

    IWDI/IWDII (I am still playing II for the first time). Very linear story
    (there isn't much of a story anyway) lot's of hack and slash. I don't think
    it is even near the quality of BG and planescape. Though I seem to like
    IWDII a bit more than IWDI but that;s because the graphics are better
    (higher res).

    NWN is fun to play too. Only you can't create a party as in the other games.
    Though you sometimes can ask somebody to tag along. Especially the expansion
    'hordes of the underdark', which I am currently still playing, is very good
    (better get NWN and the two expansions).

    Regards, Ron AF Greve.

    "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just curious how you all think these compare to BG 1/2. Are they similar
    > enough if you enjoyed BG? I've heard that they are more hack'n'slash
    > than BG, but are they still pretty deep games?
    >
    > Also, anyone play Temple of Elemental Evil and have opinions on that one?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Tag Plastic wrote:
    > John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    >>Just curious how you all think these compare to BG 1/2. Are they
    >>similar enough if you enjoyed BG? I've heard that they are more
    >>hack'n'slash than BG, but are they still pretty deep games?
    >>
    >>Also, anyone play Temple of Elemental Evil and have opinions on that
    >>one?

    Extremely bug ridden - in fact a 5 star cockroach motel even with the
    official patch.

    would recommend the following

    Planescape Torment

    The might and magic series aren't too bad and Vampire:The Masquerade is
    good for a change in style.

    Kharsis
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:

    > Tag Plastic wrote:
    >

    > Would you say the campaign that comes with NWN is a good game to play on
    > its own?

    I wouldn't recommend the original campaign on its own. Shadows of
    Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are so much better.
    NWN Gold includes SoU - so the only extra purchase would be HotU.

    Kharsis
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Kharsis wrote:

    > I wouldn't recommend the original campaign on its own. Shadows of
    > Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are so much better.
    > NWN Gold includes SoU - so the only extra purchase would be HotU.

    My only concern there, as I've learned with the BG bundle packs, is that
    I'm sure NWN Gold doesn't include the original manuals and maps and
    things like that, which I like to have. Besides, even if I got Gold,
    wouldn't I have to play through the original game first before moving on
    to SoU, or is it all integrated?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hi,

    > Kharsis wrote:
    >
    > > I wouldn't recommend the original campaign on its own. Shadows of
    > > Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are so much better.
    > > NWN Gold includes SoU - so the only extra purchase would be HotU.
    >
    > My only concern there, as I've learned with the BG bundle packs, is that
    > I'm sure NWN Gold doesn't include the original manuals and maps and
    > things like that, which I like to have. Besides, even if I got Gold,
    > wouldn't I have to play through the original game first before moving on
    > to SoU, or is it all integrated?

    No, you can play all three of them seperately. They are independent modules
    (luckily, since my harddisk crashed I wouldn't want to spend months playing
    before reaching HoU again).

    Regards, Ron AF Greve
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Moonlit wrote:

    > No, you can play all three of them seperately. They are independent modules
    > (luckily, since my harddisk crashed I wouldn't want to spend months playing
    > before reaching HoU again).

    Oh, that's interesting. So, is any one of the three modules affected at
    all by any of the others? For example, installing ToB along with SoA
    immediately raises the XP cap, adds Watcher's Keep, etc. Do the NWN
    expansions add content (or anything at all) to the original game, or to
    the other modules?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:

    > Moonlit wrote:
    >
    >> No, you can play all three of them seperately. They are independent
    >> modules
    >> (luckily, since my harddisk crashed I wouldn't want to spend months
    >> playing
    >> before reaching HoU again).
    >

    > Oh, that's interesting. So, is any one of the three modules affected at
    > all by any of the others? For example, installing ToB along with SoA
    > immediately raises the XP cap, adds Watcher's Keep, etc. Do the NWN
    > expansions add content (or anything at all) to the original game, or to
    > the other modules?

    Yes, they add prestige classes, improved AI in your companions, the
    ability to manage your companions' inventories, some spells...lots of stuff.

    Additionally...NWN itself expects you to start with a first-level
    character, and end at level 15-20.
    SoU expects you to start with a first-level character who has /not/ been
    through the events of NWN.
    HotU, however, expects you to start with a fifteenth-level character who
    has been through the events of SoU--not NWN.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Kish wrote:

    > Yes, they add prestige classes, improved AI in your companions, the
    > ability to manage your companions' inventories, some spells...lots of
    > stuff.

    So you'd recommend installing all three at once?

    > Additionally...NWN itself expects you to start with a first-level
    > character, and end at level 15-20.
    > SoU expects you to start with a first-level character who has /not/ been
    > through the events of NWN.
    > HotU, however, expects you to start with a fifteenth-level character who
    > has been through the events of SoU--not NWN.

    Hmm, how confusing. :) So you should start anew with NWN, also with SoU,
    and then import your SoU character into HotU?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Kish wrote:

    > Yes, they add prestige classes, improved AI in your companions, the
    > ability to manage your companions' inventories, some spells...lots of
    > stuff.

    Sorry, for posting twice, but: can you use all of these additions in the
    original NWN campaign, or only in the expansions?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hi,
    > Kish wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, they add prestige classes, improved AI in your companions, the
    > > ability to manage your companions' inventories, some spells...lots of
    > > stuff.
    >
    > So you'd recommend installing all three at once?
    >
    > > Additionally...NWN itself expects you to start with a first-level
    > > character, and end at level 15-20.
    > > SoU expects you to start with a first-level character who has /not/ been
    > > through the events of NWN.
    > > HotU, however, expects you to start with a fifteenth-level character who
    > > has been through the events of SoU--not NWN.
    >
    > Hmm, how confusing. :) So you should start anew with NWN, also with SoU,
    > and then import your SoU character into HotU?

    Well, how I played it. I finished NWN then played a lot of user modules and
    started SoU. However in SoU I imported the character I always played with,
    this character was so strong that I could defeat any monster with one hand
    while reading a book with the other (it spoilled the game a little for me).
    In HotU you get the chance in the beginning to either use a predefined
    character leveled up automatically to I believe 15 or so OR (what I did)
    level the character up yourself to 15, before the game really starts.

    Regards, Ron AF Greve
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Oh , ye,s as someone else mentioned, morrowind is pretty good too (not to
    mention extremely large). Though the gameplay is quite different (first or
    third person instead of an isometric view).

    Regards, Ron AF Greve

    "Moonlit" <news moonlit xs4all nl> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > As with the others in the newsgroup I agree the baldurs gate series has a
    > great story and is for a large part non-linear. You can do a lot of quests
    > in any order. Planescape torment has an unique story and a lot more
    > conversation than baldur's gate. If you liked BG then I think you like
    > planscape too.
    >
    > IWDI/IWDII (I am still playing II for the first time). Very linear story
    > (there isn't much of a story anyway) lot's of hack and slash. I don't
    think
    > it is even near the quality of BG and planescape. Though I seem to like
    > IWDII a bit more than IWDI but that;s because the graphics are better
    > (higher res).
    >
    > NWN is fun to play too. Only you can't create a party as in the other
    games.
    > Though you sometimes can ask somebody to tag along. Especially the
    expansion
    > 'hordes of the underdark', which I am currently still playing, is very
    good
    > (better get NWN and the two expansions).
    >
    > Regards, Ron AF Greve.
    >
    > "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Just curious how you all think these compare to BG 1/2. Are they similar
    > > enough if you enjoyed BG? I've heard that they are more hack'n'slash
    > > than BG, but are they still pretty deep games?
    > >
    > > Also, anyone play Temple of Elemental Evil and have opinions on that
    one?

  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Moonlit wrote:

    > Oh , ye,s as someone else mentioned, morrowind is pretty good too (not to
    > mention extremely large). Though the gameplay is quite different (first or
    > third person instead of an isometric view).

    Yeah, not really comparable to the BG games, but Morrowind definitely is
    one of the best (maybe the best) game I've every played. I had such a
    blast with it.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Kish wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, they add prestige classes, improved AI in your companions, the
    >> ability to manage your companions' inventories, some spells...lots of
    >> stuff.
    >

    > So you'd recommend installing all three at once?

    Yes.

    >> Additionally...NWN itself expects you to start with a first-level
    >> character, and end at level 15-20.
    >> SoU expects you to start with a first-level character who has /not/
    >> been through the events of NWN.
    >> HotU, however, expects you to start with a fifteenth-level character
    >> who has been through the events of SoU--not NWN.
    >

    > Hmm, how confusing. :) So you should start anew with NWN, also with SoU,
    > and then import your SoU character into HotU?

    Yes.

    > Sorry, for posting twice, but: can you use all of these additions in the original NWN campaign, or only in the expansions?

    In the original NWN campaign.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in <408b0a2e$0$28898
    $61fed72c@news.rcn.com>:

    >Tag Plastic wrote:
    >
    >Thanks for the comments you two!
    >
    >> Obligatory "If you like story, have you played Planescape:Torment?"
    >
    >No, I'm still searching for it. Supposedly one website gets in a few
    >each month, and I'm on the list, but I haven't heard from them.

    Another "if you like story" plug:

    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

    It uses a core engine similar to neverwinter nights, although the graphics are
    better. The ruleset is a modified version of the 3d-edition D&D rules,
    translated to the Star Wars universe. I think the rules set work better
    outside of the fantasy setting (fewer, streamlined skill and feat choices, and
    the envisioned world feels more like a *world* than a collection of rules).

    There's NPC interaction on par with BG2, some interesting side-quests, and
    different good and evil story arcs (and the story, in general, is better put
    together than Episode 1 or 2).

    If you're not married to fantasy, and if you like Star Wars, check it out.

    Hound
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hound of Cullen wrote:

    > If you're not married to fantasy, and if you like Star Wars, check it out.

    Yeah, that one's definitely on my list too. I'm looking forward to it.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in <408c1c52$0$28896
    $61fed72c@news.rcn.com>:

    >Kish wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, they add prestige classes, improved AI in your companions, the
    >> ability to manage your companions' inventories, some spells...lots of
    >> stuff.
    >
    >Sorry, for posting twice, but: can you use all of these additions in the
    >original NWN campaign, or only in the expansions?

    You get *some* of the additons in the original campaign. You can't manage your
    hireling's inventory, some crafting abilities aren't available, and some
    prestige classes aren't available.

    Hound
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hound of Cullen wrote:
    > John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in <408c1c52$0$28896
    > $61fed72c@news.rcn.com>:
    >

    >>Kish wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yes, they add prestige classes, improved AI in your companions, the
    >>>ability to manage your companions' inventories, some spells...lots of
    >>>stuff.
    >>
    >>Sorry, for posting twice, but: can you use all of these additions in the
    >>original NWN campaign, or only in the expansions?
    >>

    > You get *some* of the additons in the original campaign. You can't manage your
    > hireling's inventory,

    You can't? I can. Might be another mod I have installed, then.

    > and some
    > prestige classes aren't available.

    Hmm? Which?
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Hi,

    Regards
    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Hound of Cullen wrote:
    > > John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in <408c1c52$0$28896
    > > $61fed72c@news.rcn.com>:

    > >>Sorry, for posting twice, but: can you use all of these additions in the
    > >>original NWN campaign, or only in the expansions?
    > >>

    > > You get *some* of the additons in the original campaign. You can't
    manage your
    > > hireling's inventory,
    >
    > You can't? I can. Might be another mod I have installed, then.

    You are right, you can.

    With HotU you can modify your hirelings inventory. click on hireling->(Click
    somwhere at 11'o clock in the radial menu (forgot the name )->(Click at 3'o
    clock in the radial menu)->Inventory. You can also open you own inventory
    and exchange items.

    > > and some
    > > prestige classes aren't available.
    >
    > Hmm? Which?

    Regards, Ron AF Greve
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Moonlit" <news moonlit xs4all nl> wrote in <408d30d6$0$574
    $e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>:

    >Hi,
    >

    >Regards
    >"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> Hound of Cullen wrote:
    >>> John Salerno <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in <408c1c52$0$28896

    >>> You get *some* of the additons in the original campaign. You can't
    >>> manage your hireling's inventory,
    >>
    >> You can't? I can. Might be another mod I have installed, then.
    >
    >You are right, you can.
    >
    >With HotU you can modify your hirelings inventory. click on hireling->(Click
    >somwhere at 11'o clock in the radial menu (forgot the name )->(Click at 3'o
    >clock in the radial menu)->Inventory. You can also open you own inventory
    >and exchange items.

    I do that (with NWN gold ed. installed) get 'you cannot modify this
    character's inventory' when playing the original campaign.

    Hound
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Moonlit wrote:
    >
    >> Oh , ye,s as someone else mentioned, morrowind is pretty good too (not to
    >> mention extremely large). Though the gameplay is quite different
    >> (first or
    >> third person instead of an isometric view).
    >

    > Yeah, not really comparable to the BG games, but Morrowind definitely is
    > one of the best (maybe the best) game I've every played. I had such a
    > blast with it.
    I found exactly the opposite with Morrowind - boring and tedious.

    Actually took it back to the shop and got a refund.

    Kharsis
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Kharsis wrote:

    >> Yeah, not really comparable to the BG games, but Morrowind definitely
    >> is one of the best (maybe the best) game I've every played. I had such
    >> a blast with it.
    >
    > I found exactly the opposite with Morrowind - boring and tedious.

    Wow, that's too bad. I found that game to be so impressive. I'm
    beginning to see why everyone thinks BG2 is one of the best RPGs, but
    for a while I was underwhelmed by it. There are many gameplay decisions
    the developers made that I don't like, and that I think BG1 does better.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Hound of Cullen" <s2szalbxro001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > "Moonlit" <news moonlit xs4all nl> wrote in <408d30d6$0$574
    > $e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >

    > >Regards
    > >"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message

    > >> You can't? I can. Might be another mod I have installed, then.
    > >
    > >You are right, you can.
    > >
    > >With HotU you can modify your hirelings inventory. click on
    hireling->(Click
    > >somwhere at 11'o clock in the radial menu (forgot the name )->(Click at
    3'o
    > >clock in the radial menu)->Inventory. You can also open you own inventory
    > >and exchange items.
    >
    > I do that (with NWN gold ed. installed) get 'you cannot modify this
    > character's inventory' when playing the original campaign.

    Does that include Hordes of the Underdark?. Only with that expansion I could
    (ex)change equipment, at least I didn't try it with the NWN or NWN/SoU so it
    might or might not be possible with that.

    But it sure works if you start HotU anew like I did. I just changed some
    armor of my hireling an hour ago. That's one of the improvements I like with
    the latest expansion.

    > Hound

    Regards, Ron AF Greve.

Games Video Games