whats the best setup for this?

Pandiedog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2004
Hi all, hoping someone can help here. I know a bit about networking although be it not alot either, i can network 2 comps on dialup without a hassle but here's what i want to do...

I now have a PII 400(128mb ram), PIII 550 (196mb ram), P4 (768mb ram). What i'd like to do is use the PII as a firewall and trying to stop viruses getting to the P3 and P4, also i'd like to use the PII for any file share programs such as kazza/ imesh or the like and since thats all i need the PII to do i'd like to access it by a remote administrator software than have a monitor connected to it.

What would be the best way to set all this up or would it just be as easy to use the firewall or a router to protect everything and use the PII just for the file share.

I forgot to mention at present on dialup and going to ADSL as soon as i figure out how to set up the network i'd like properly.

Thanks to anyone that can offer some help on this matter

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you want to be able to run those p2p apps then you are going to need windows on the machine. In that case I highly recommend buying a router and plugging all the comps into that. If you were just using bittorrent you could make your PII a linux firewall/router and just buy a switch. Bittorrent has a linux port and it works WAY better in linux. I don't think many/any other p2p software has been ported to linux.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

skaarj

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2004
you're wrong :p

there are Direct Connect clients (dcgui-qt for example), eMule (xmule) and so on :p
I'd recommend GNU/Linux router.

Electrical engineers do it with less resistance

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
They have linux clients out for those? I'll have to check it out. Bittorent is probably still the best though, at least it has been for me.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I agree with Folen in regards to just buying a router with built in hardware firewall.

As far as the computer being used for p2p applications with no monitor, go to <A HREF="http://www.realvnc.com" target="_new">RealVNC</A> and download their server/viewer package. Its really easy to use, just install the server software on the PII, and the viewer program on the other computers. Then you can link to the IP address of the PII and control it from your computer.

The good thing is, if you decide to go with Linux, it is both Linux/Win32 compatible.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

Pandiedog

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2004
ok thanks for all that guys, I went out and got a router (netgear WGR614). now just got to wait a few days for payday to organise going back to ADSL again or if this dialup annoys me to much lol.

One final thing though, when setting up the router can it be done from any of the 3 comps, and ( i know this will seem stupid), can the router be used like a hub just for across the network of the 3 comps without ADSL and set it up after once i get online with the speds again

Once again thanks for all the help guys

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
yes, you can set it up from any of the three computers. And Yes,it will function "like a hub" so that all computers can see each other.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink: