Your question

USB Wireless Adapters vs Network Cards?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 23, 2010 1:27:05 PM

Which would be better for a new build?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2010 4:10:39 PM

I'd always go with PCI wireless card rather than the USB versions. Reception is often better with PCI and some USB wireless adapters overheat and fail.
July 23, 2010 8:50:49 PM

Okay cool, thanks for the reply. Anyone else got any opinions?
Related resources
July 28, 2010 7:48:46 AM

PCI or PCIexpress Wireless Adapters - because they have direct connection to the motherboard.... USB Adapters have to go into the USB ports then to the mother board, etc... After constant use the USB adapters performance starts failing - our get knocked off by accident because they're sticking out too much...either way I have gotten max speed on a USB 300Mbps Wifi N Adapter throughput at between 40 to 50Mbps... I was able to get around 80Mbps+ on a PCIe wireless card.
July 28, 2010 9:28:58 AM

Wireless USB Adapter is more convenient than PCI Adapter.
July 28, 2010 6:25:53 PM

sgvtech said:
PCI or PCIexpress Wireless Adapters - because they have direct connection to the motherboard.... USB Adapters have to go into the USB ports then to the mother board, etc... After constant use the USB adapters performance starts failing - our get knocked off by accident because they're sticking out too much...either way I have gotten max speed on a USB 300Mbps Wifi N Adapter throughput at between 40 to 50Mbps... I was able to get around 80Mbps+ on a PCIe wireless card.

^^^^^^^^^^ What he said
!