Screensaver won't display after installing flat panel

I installed a new flat panel monitor (Westinghouse) and at the same time I
installed a new wireless keyboard & mouse (Microsoft). Now the screensaver
(typical XP) won't activate. I can preview it, but it will not activate no
matter what time I set it to start. Same with the power option - no matter
what I set it to, my monitor will not power off.

This is a plug and play monitor, so no driver is necessary. Reloaded the
graphics driver. Rebooted, of course. Also reloaded graphics card driver. No
luck.

Anyone run into this before?
--
jcstevens
www.sitewitch.com

Does not matter. Still needs the correct driver installed for the monitor.
Failing that try switching back to the wired pointing and keyboard devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

jcstevens wrote:
> I installed a new wireless keyboard & mouse (Microsoft). Now the
> screensaver (typical XP) won't activate.

This a common problem with wireless keyboards / mice.

Try connecting them to the PS/2 ports using the included plug adapters,
instead of USB. That is rumoured to help, specifically with the Microsoft
kits.

--
Chris Priede (priede@panix.com)

jcstevens wrote:
> I installed a new flat panel monitor (Westinghouse) and at the same
> time I installed a new wireless keyboard & mouse (Microsoft). Now the
> screensaver (typical XP) won't activate. I can preview it, but it
> will not activate no matter what time I set it to start. Same with
> the power option - no matter what I set it to, my monitor will not
> power off.
>
> This is a plug and play monitor, so no driver is necessary. Reloaded
> the graphics driver. Rebooted, of course. Also reloaded graphics card
> driver. No luck.
>
> Anyone run into this before?

The new monitor has nothing to do with it. You could hook it up to a TV set
and since the monitor is an output device - not an input - it won't prevent
your screensaver from working. In other words - if you see the picture on
the screen and the screensaver preview works - then the problem is with some
input device sending a signal to the computer periodically and preventing
the start of the screensaver automatically.

Remove your wireless devices. See if all of a sudden you get functionality
back. Barring complete removal - just remove the batteries of the devices.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP