Sign in with
Your question

Beeps from PC

Last response: in Components
December 12, 2010 9:11:13 PM

I have a HP Pavillon 6580t three months old and have had quite a few problems with it. Twice the fan has made a very loud noise, which when I reboot goes away. Now I have three beeps on booting up, spaced about 1 minute apart, three times. I called on Saturday and the tech ran a 2.5-hour SMART test, which passed. Then, after spending 3 hours on phone with an HP tech yesterday reseating the RAM, unplugging and replugging both fans, and him running full diagnostic tests, everything seems to have "passed." I called back today (after being disconnected last night and not a call back) and was told that the next thing to do was to do a recovery as he said it must be software. This is Windows 7 64-bit, 6 GB RAM, 750 GB memory, 512 MB ATI Radeon graphics. I told him I would back up and call them back. The problem is that I do transcription for a living and the last time they I had to do a recovery (I believe unnecessarily), I lost everything I need to work, programs, macros, etc... Bottom line is, nothing I read on the net leads me to believe that it is software related, rather more like motherboard, RAM, video card or sound card. Any suggestions as to how I can figure this out without having to do another recovery and putting all my work back in?? :( 

More about : beeps

December 13, 2010 4:57:49 AM

I believe it is a component. Clear CMOS and restart. If it does the same, remove one ram stick one at a time and restart. If the problem persists remove cpu and hcf and reseat.
m
l
December 13, 2010 12:49:12 PM

When your computer boots take note of the brand of bios it is.
Why i say this is because what your getting is a bios beep error code.
As you have noted the pattern of beeps.

do a search for the brand of bios chip on the computer and type bios error beep codes (name/brand) in google.
Eg. Award bios beep code errors.
It will tell you exactly what the problem is or what bit of hardware is at fault in the pc.

Hp bios beep codes depending on type of bios chip.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2010 4:24:52 PM

I doubt this is a BIOS error code. BIOS error beep codes usually only last a few seconds, not minutes. This might be a PSU alarm. I've heard of failed/failing PSUs beeping this frequently to warn of voltage problems.

This would also explain why the idiot techs at HP couldn't detect it. No software-based test can detect PSU problems.

Go out and grab a new power supply (or PSU tester) and report back here with your results. Keep your receipt, if it's not the problem then you can take it back. Grab something in the 500W range.
m
l
December 14, 2010 6:27:48 PM

Quote:
so everything is working fine right now and you haven't performed the recovery or what.?

The computer hasn't beeped in two days now. I did call HP back yesterday evening though and talked with a supervisor who agrees that another recovery is not necessary. He said it needed to be shipped back to HP and let them work on it because we had tried everything via phone that could be done. He said it could be the fan and something else, such as motherboard or memory. Anyway, I asked to wait until after the 1st (providing it doesn't crash before then) because I work at home and need that time to transfer things back to my old HP that runs XP. (What a pain!). I guess this is what I will do even though it is not beeping now because having had it only 3 months I feel like something is going on and don't want to wait and get out of the warranty period.
m
l
December 14, 2010 6:35:11 PM

Shaun o said:
When your computer boots take note of the brand of bios it is.
Why i say this is because what your getting is a bios beep error code.
As you have noted the pattern of beeps.

do a search for the brand of bios chip on the computer and type bios error beep codes (name/brand) in google.
Eg. Award bios beep code errors.
It will tell you exactly what the problem is or what bit of hardware is at fault in the pc.

Hp bios beep codes depending on type of bios chip.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

HP bios beep codes says that it is a base 64 KB memory failure. I am not a techie, so when I read that is when I called and asked for a supervisor and said I was tired of fooling around with this and felt like I was just being put off by continuing to do recoveries. So, I guess I am stuck with sending it back to them for repair and going back to my old HP.
m
l
!