Sign in with
Your question

How to get ATI sound in to surround sound system?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
August 10, 2010 5:39:00 PM

Hi,
I have a ATI 4850 video card. it says it has a built in sound card in it. like if i plug my HDMI cable in to a monitor that has speaker in it, it should out put the sound. I was wondering if there is a way I can get that sound in to another external speaker system? Thanks

August 10, 2010 5:48:02 PM

does your monitor have connections for 5.1/7.1 sound? if not, then you have to plug the external speaker system into a seperate sound card or your motherboard (if it has the right connectors built in)
m
l
August 10, 2010 5:58:19 PM

I have 4890s CF so our card is very close.

Sound on HDMI/DVI only comes out on the video port designated as primary display. I have 2 display connected via HDMI. The 2 DVI ports have DVI->HDMI converter from ATI.

On board sound card or additional sound card (i.e. Xfi) will enable you to provide audio to a receiver.

You select audio playback (i.e. HDMI or Xfi) from the SOUND option of the control panel.

Take note if you select the sound-card (i.e. xfi) as default sound playback, there will be no audio on the HDMI. Its vice versa so the situation is reverse if you select HDMI.

m
l
August 11, 2010 12:30:40 AM

If you external external speakers are connected to a receiver that has an HDMI input and does process HDMI-Audio (no HDMI Audio Pass-through), then just plug in the HDMI cable to that.

But I think we need more detailed information (make and model numbers) of what components you are trying to get working together.

-Wolf sends
m
l
Related resources
!