Sign in with
Your question

SSD for gaming, worth it??

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2012 11:26:45 AM

Hey guys I'm building myself a gaming rig and I'm considering adding a SSD, something like the Samsung (840 Basic 256GB / 840 pro 128GB ).
I would use the SSD for a couple of games, OS and the rest would go on the HDD.

My question is:
What kind of games would benefit from this and is it worth it overall?

More about : ssd gaming worth

a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 12:07:20 PM

everytime you find yourself sitting there staring at a loading screen, know you could have loaded in a third of that time had you been using a ssd.
December 29, 2012 1:04:56 PM

It depends on what games you play, not all games are optimized and benefit from a SSD so don't except buying one is going to drastically increase loading times so keep that in mind. Games that would see the most benefit from it are games that heavily access storage to load textures even more so if you are running allot of texture add on's - so for example MMORPG's, RPG's, ARMA series, FSX flight simulator to name a few.

That being said and the gaming aspect aside - if you have the money to spend I recommend buying one you won't regret it - it makes the whole computer snappier.
Related resources
December 29, 2012 1:10:19 PM

well if its only a couple of games why not use ram disk if you have 16 to 32 gig of ram ?
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:12:43 PM

adding an SSD will improve performance across the board and IMO there's absolutely no reason NOT to have one these days

it's a no-brainer, if you're building a system an SSD as the boot drive and an HDD for data is the norm today
December 29, 2012 1:13:28 PM

Orlean said:
It depends on what games you play, not all games are optimized and benefit from a SSD so don't except buying one is going to drastically increase loading times so keep that in mind. Games that would see the most benefit from it are games that heavily access storage to load textures even more so if you are running allot of texture add on's - so for example MMORPG's, RPG's, ARMA series, FSX flight simulator to name a few.

That being said and the gaming aspect aside - if you have the money to spend I recommend buying one you won't regret it - it makes the whole computer snappier.

What about for an example Planetside 2, how much would it benefit from it?
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:22:02 PM

^+1 to Dingo07. In any circumstance, you will see improvements. Just think about booting up into Windows in less than 20 sec from the time you hit the power button and shutdown in about 5 :D  .
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:22:58 PM

AdamsBC said:

there's no way to know exactly what the benefit will be... if the program reads/writes to the drive, it will be Much faster than a HDD
December 29, 2012 1:39:46 PM

dingo07 said:
adding an SSD will improve performance across the board and IMO there's absolutely no reason NOT to have one these days

it's a no-brainer, if you're building a system an SSD as the boot drive and an HDD for data is the norm today

OK OK I am convinced, converted, halleluiah praise SSDesus the ayatollah of storagetollah...lol I guess It's like back when people were wondering if HD monitors were worth it. Once I'll make the transition there will be no going back.
December 29, 2012 1:46:43 PM

AdamsBC said:

That is hard to say and honestly I don't know my only experience with Planetside 2 is the 3 hours I've played and even then it's installed on my 1TB black drive, doing a quick search I can't seem to find any information regarding this though.
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:47:55 PM

I have my SSDs in RAID0 (a lot of controversy here at Tom's) but I am getting over 1GB/s Reads and 800MB/s Writes with SSD compared to about 120MB/s Read/Writes with traditional HDD.

December 29, 2012 1:59:36 PM

AdamsBC said:
OK OK I am convinced, converted, halleluiah praise SSDesus the ayatollah of storagetollah...lol I guess It's like back when people were wondering if HD monitors were worth it. Once I'll make the transition there will be no going back.

I'm sorry I may have come off as being negative in regards to purchasing an SSD for gaming :lol:  I just wanted it to be clear to you that not ALL games will see a benefit(and if there was it wouldn't be noticable) instead of being disappointed because there was that one game that had no difference due to a misconception.
a b 4 Gaming
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 2:03:04 PM

No hard feelings Orlean. It's just that the overall performance improvement of R/W speeds is unsurpassed, not just in games.
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 3:09:25 PM

makes a pretty big difference in most games actually
!