Ebay fun...

bblackmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hey guys, im not too experienced with a lot of technical issues with motherboards booting up and what is required. But i'll give you the situation im running into.

Just sold a MB on ebay, no damage, nothing wrong with it. They guy is claiming it was packed damaged because he said the corner of the MB was already off when he opened the box. Before he mentioned this he stated that "The MB is non functioning" and that "there was a poor attempt to glue it". SO my big thing is, how would he possibly know that the MB is non functioning unless he mounted it in the case, yada yada. And pretty much hes saying i took the corner of the MB and threw it in the package lol.

So aside from what hes telling me, is it possible to run a POST on the motherboard without properly grounding it to the case. It sounds like me, that he just overtighted one of the screws and cracked it, and now he wants to get his money back.

Thanks in advance guys :D

1) You can test out a motherboard without mounting in a case. The psu does the necessary grounding. I test out a new motherboard this way to make certain that all parts are good before mounting in the case. To power up without a case, short the pwr switch pins for a moment.

2) On E-bay, your reputation is gold. Have the buyer send the motherboard back at your expense, and refund him what he paid.

3) Then retest the motherboard yourself, and if it really is good, then initiate a dispute with paypal. Keep all documentation. Also, see if you can verify that he returned the same motherboard that you sent him. Some unethical people will return a different broken part and keep the good one you sent.
I keep a record of the serial # or a photo of anything I send.