Trying to find best processor

JayLind

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Hello,
I have a Dx4200-09 and i have been going through the posts here but all the links are to discontinued items, i would really like to order a processor tonight for this unit.. im tired of the 1.8 and would love to get 2.5 to 3.0 range of speed

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
You should contextualize "Dx4200-09" for us. I mean you should tell us what that string of letters and numbers mean. Is it a model number of a pre-build system (it is, as it turns out after a quick Google search) or anything? Next time, provide as much info as possible so that we can help you better. :)

Anyways,

Your motherboard supports AM2+, which means you can also get AM3 parts like the quad core Phenom II series processors if you like. How much are you planning to spend on your processor upgrade? (See what I mean by "provide as much info as possible"? It's in a sticky at the top by the way) Also, newer processors might be unsupported by the motherboard until you update your BIOS. Do some research if you haven't already to ensure the compatibility of hardware you will be buying.

According to newegg.com, your system only has a 300W PSU. Have you upgraded your graphics card as well? You might need to order a larger PSU (maybe around 500W) as well to cope with the increasing demands of your system. What are you using the system for? If you're planning on a huge Christmas upgrade, you might want to look at some graphics cards as well if you need it.

MultiPress

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I agree with gracefully. You do have to provide more information. Otherwise you won't get useful advise for your needs. How much are you willing to pay and what purpose has your system upgrade ?

Phoenixlight

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
If those numbers are referring to Ghz then that's not what you should be looking at for a better CPU, there are far more important things like lithography and architecture which determine performance.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
@phoenixlight

We are comparing CPUs of the same generation and the same architecture. All else equal, more GHz = better.

Without changing the motherboard, I'm afraid the choices are limited. Besides, current gen CPUs can be used on older gen motherboards, and all the associated advantages such as lower TDP because of the smaller manufacturing process, and power management (which hasn't really changed much except for the new Turbo Core function of the hexa-core Phenoms).

Also, don't forget core count. It's currently the big thing, next to GHz.

JayLind

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Lol okay sorry, i should be clearer, It is a Gateway DX4200-09 and i am upgrading the whole thing. I got a new Power supply, a new video card, new HD, and new memory, which i can send links to everything i purchased, now im just looking to upgrade processor from the quad-core 1.8 to something in the mid 2.5 to 3.0 range...

JayLind

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
8 gig of Crucial Ballistix, OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular Power, EVGA GeForce GT 240 512MB DDR5 SuperClocked Ed., and a 2 tb seagate hd. All my past Asus MBs were easy to ID, but this MB is like looking just a bunch of numbers there is a white label sticker that reads 686 AMIBIOS WU85 7649.... Also another really small number right next tot he pci-e slot.... but nothing around any heat sinks or around processor

JayLind

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
okay so i had the Evga GT 240 but am returning for the
EVGA 01G-P3-1452-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Also i went with
AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W
i already received everything else, including the video card which i was happy with the looks but for another 25 bucks i got the 1 gig superclock... so far the 8 gig of memory and new PSU and blu ray drive work really good and i do notice a improvement with memory. i also scored a lot more points when i did the performance tests... i am looking for the BIOS update so if you find it before myself, please let me know...another thing was a cyberlink dvd and blu ray software did a test to see if my system could run the blu ray, which is another reason why im returning the card it showed a gray area that the card wasnt good enough also the processor came up in gray, but everything else was good. If you need anymore information just send a message. Also what is a good system performance test program i remember about 10 years ago they had them but i forget the names...

JayLind

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
1279.4 on this computer that i hooked everything up to for passmark... i figured it woulda been a lot higher...i also did a windows update and it found nothing, also went into device hardware to manually update, said everything was up to date but still shows unknown processor