Sign in with
Your question

Male-to-male or female-to-female SATA 3 cable to connect an SSD?

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2012 12:28:24 PM

I'm getting a motherboard which only comes with two SATA 2 cables, and I need to buy a SATA 3 cable separately as I'll be connecting an SSD. Does it need to be male-to-male or female-to-female?

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 12:31:04 PM

just get a SATA2 cable as they are identical.

All sata cables are male to male, so it should not be a problem.
December 29, 2012 12:36:14 PM

You didn't mention whether the motherboard has SATA3 ports so, we'll assume that the motherboard has only SATA2 ports since it came with SATA2 cables.

In this case, the SATA2 cables that you have will work fine with your new SSD, as is. Of course, you will not receive the benefit of higher speeds that you would have if there were SATA3 ports on the motherboard.

There is no "sexing" of the cables. No M-M, F-F....
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 12:55:47 PM

I use SATA 1 cables on my SSDs and there is no performance hit. The only time it would be a problem running older cables is:
1) if they are super thin cables (like what comes in most Dell or HP systems)
or
2) if they are super long cables

Other than that there are no extra pins or any other cable-specific issues to worry about, it is pure marketing.
December 29, 2012 1:40:10 PM

JeauxBleaux said:
You didn't mention whether the motherboard has SATA3 ports so, we'll assume that the motherboard has only SATA2 ports since it came with SATA2 cables.

In this case, the SATA2 cables that you have will work fine with your new SSD, as is. Of course, you will not receive the benefit of higher speeds that you would have if there were SATA3 ports on the motherboard.

There is no "sexing" of the cables. No M-M, F-F....

The motherboard is ASRock Z77 Pro4-M. The manufacturer's website says it comes with 2 cables but doesn't specify whether they are SATA 2 or 3. I found a review, where the reviewer says they're SATA 2. Anyway, I need 3 cables as I'll be connecting a HDD, an SSD and an optical drive (3 devices in total).

Is this the cable I need? It says it's male-to-male: http://www.waeplus.co.uk/product/1912982/SATA-cable-6GB...
Can't find the female-to-female ones but I definitely saw them in a couple of places.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 1:58:42 PM

That board definitely has SATA3 connections. Just get a SATA3 cable as they are roughly the same price (usually exactly). Try to get one that isn't too long.
December 29, 2012 3:16:19 PM

noidea_77 said:
That's male-male also! The description is wrong.

Indeed. I've been taking a closer look and all SATA cables look the same. I've seen a few others described as female-to-female, hence the confusion.

I've chosen this one: http://www.waeplus.co.uk/product/1912977/SATA-cable-6GB... - 0.3m straight locking SATA 3 cable.

I'd mark this as [SOLVED] but I'm not able to edit my posts.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 4:24:19 PM

Actually SATA cables are female to female as the connector on the motherboard and drives are male. Just a semantics problem. Just choose a Best Answer and the Moderators will close it for you.
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 4:55:01 PM

^+1 to zdbc13 :) 
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 5:26:49 PM

th-newbuild said:
I'd mark this as [SOLVED] but I'm not able to edit my posts.

It gets marked that way automatically when you select a best answer. Took me a while to figure that out too.
!