Sign in with
Your question

GTX 470 advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2010 6:46:58 PM

Hey guys, have my new rig incoming on Saturday and need a little advice please.

Specs:

- Case: Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
- Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream II 600W
- CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz overclocked to 4.00GHz
- Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Akasa Venom CPU Cooler
- RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
- Graphics Card: OcUK Geforce GTX 470
- Sound: High Definition 7.1 Onboard Sound Card
- Optical Drive: 22x DVD+RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter

The question i need some advice on is this....... My case comes with 2 stock fans, a 140mm top fan and a 120mm rear fan ( both Exhaust i think ) .
There are 3 other available fan slots to fill, One on the side for the GPU and 2 at the front.

I have 2 new fans being delivered tomorrow and was wondering wheres best to put them. i know the GTX 470 has heat issues but isn't a straight, front to rear airflow set up the best, or should i put one on the front and one directly onto the GPU?

Thanks.

More about : gtx 470 advice

a c 125 U Graphics card
August 10, 2010 7:19:06 PM

You'll probably get a few people posting what they think is the best orientation, I think your best bet is to try out various fan orientations and see what works best.
August 10, 2010 7:58:01 PM

I would fill the front slots before worrying about the side, after that it depends on what needs cooling I think...I your temps are fine don't worry about it, if your GPU is hot, you might want to put an intake on the side. If your CPU is hot, a side exhaust might show improvement. Keep in mind that there is a chance that the side fan orientation may inversely affect your cpu/gpu temps, but if there is the drops in temps on one should be greater than the rise in the other, which should only be 1 or 2 degrees.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 5:00:53 PM

i'd go one front one side both as intakes as you already have 2 exhaust. but yea why not try all the possible setups and monitor temps see which is most effective then go with that
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 5:12:33 PM

The two stock fans are exhaust.
I have the same case.
I'm not fond of the side panel, I just leave it alone.
The front is filtered, so most air coming in there will be filtered (good imo)
So put the two new fans in front on low
Set the the back and top fan on medium, they come with molex power connectors and a 3 way swithc L M H.
Medium moves a good amount of air and is fairly quiet.
At antec's site you can read the specs, cfm, rpm of stock fans in the 300 pdf , I believe.
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2010 8:26:14 PM

Generally, I'd want good air intake through the front over a side intake. As notty22 mentioned, the front intakes having filters helps to keep dust bunnies from forming inside (just make sure you clean the filters now and again).

If you get sufficient front to back airflow, the GPU will have "cool" air to intake into itself anyhow. Later you can add an additional side intake if you want.

Or, as omgitzfatal suggested, you can always try both methods and see what keeps the GPU coolest. My guess is, a single 120mm side intake probably won't make a huge difference for the GTX 470 since it won't blow directly into the card anyhow.
September 9, 2010 4:12:30 PM

thanks all for your input
!