5770 will not seat all the way into slot on new build. Why?

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I am using the Rosewill Challenger case and Biostar TA785 motherboard. I screwed the motherboard down, installed the psu, CPU, drives, etc, went to put the gpu in, and it wouldn't slide all the way down into the slot. Looks like the mounting bracket where you screw it to the main housing is holding it up. Was I supposed to put a spacer between the motherboard and case or something ?

Also, the cables coming from the preinstalled usb ports on the front of the case do not match up to anything on the motherboard.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
You did remove the expansion ports in the back of the case correct?

And you would be best to reference your motherboard manual to see exactly where the USB headers are!

Good luck!

If you're still snagged post pictures so we can have a look at the situation!

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I think you've deciphered this one Outlander, he pretty much says he screwed the motherboard into the case.

Yeah those brass screw things are stand-offs, they lift the motherboard off the case.

Sidenote, a motherboard screwed directly into the case will not function because every part of it grounds out and it can't transmit signals.

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

I took the motherboard out and screwed the brass standoffs into the case. That would explain why the gpu didn't clear the mounting bracket :) I'll take a look back in the motherboard manual to see what's up with he usb connectors on the motherboard.

In the meantime, I'm gonna go buy a drill so I can take the case off the motherboard side is my old dell that I'm transplanting the hard drives and optical drives from. For some stupid reason, that side of the case is pop riveted on, so I can't get the drives out unless I drill the pop rivets out.

devorakman112

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
if the backside of the case is pop riveted on, especially with dells, chances are the whole drive mounting bracket comes off via some sort of clip. this is what i ran into working on my brothers old dell.

make sure you only h off installed where the mount holes are on the mb .

and use the little isolating washers between the mb and the stand off

and devorakman may be right about the dell too . The drives might have a catch that lets them swing out , or clip out

YOU! Drop the tools, put your hands up, and back away from that PC !!!

Seriously . . .

If you can't get the drives out of the Dell without a drill, the last thing you want in your hands is a drill lol. Trust us, they come out, without a drill. Find the way. Try to download the manual for the Dell, it will show you how to *gently* remove the hard drives.

Combine that with screwing the mobo directly into the case . . . you need to slow down, read, and study the problems before you act.

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Thanks. I broke open the manuals, and figured out how to take the drives out the correct way, also installed the standoffs for the motherboard. Now I have everything installed except for the RAM, which I'll pick up tomorrow and its time to fire it up!

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I installed my first motherboard sans standoffs! I was pissing and moaning trying to figure out why it wouldn't turn on.

I eventually figured out my mistake after talking to my friend about it, the board and everything survived. It took a long time to live it down.

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/50384913@N04/5013154483/sizes/l/

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/50384913@N04/5013148649/sizes/l/

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/50384913@N04/5013750986/sizes/l/

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/50384913@N04/5013748474/sizes/l/

Im still confused about a few things, like the connectors I have in the picture. There are two heads for each fan connector. Why? Also, usb connectors don't match to the motherboard. And the general placement of the connectors that go on the front panel grader I don't really understand too well. Like which way the arrows should point. Then heresy also all the free connectors coming from the motherboard.

I just want to make sure everything is connected correctly before I fire it up. This reminds of when I built my first engine. Closed my eyes and fired it up :)

same here, no speakie the flicker :p
as far as I can read, your two 'heads' (connectors) for each fan will be one small one for plugging into the motherboard, and one large one which you will find matches up to the lines from your psu, use either to power the fans, not both, one powerline only ok :)
usb connectors I'm afraid I cant say anything other than read your mobo manual for usb header pin arrangement guide, front panels can be a little intimidating at first glance,
just identify each wire from the front panel, label them up if you need to, then read what goes where on the front panel header on the mobo, then match them up, just take your time and triplecheck everything, your assembling a delicate piece of hardware, but pc's are far less forgiving than engines imo :p
Moto

cmcghee358

Distinguished

Let's try not to turn people off to asking for help. We all had to start somewhere. Talking down to him will deter him from asking for help and could make his situation worse.

If you're unable to provide help in an acceptable manner, simply allow others to.

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Yes I did read through the manual. It doesn't say anything about the non-matching usb connectors that came stock on the Rosewill Challenger I got.

What picture-hosting site should I use that everyone would have access to?

I use photobucket and I've not had anyone saying my piclinks dont work (yet :p)
I'm looking at a challenger on the rosewill site and the info for the front ports,
your usb connectors from the F.P, look down on them and you should see that its like a grid system, one gridspace will not have a hole where the others do,its a blank space on the grid and should stand out massively to the eye, now look at you mobo's usb headers, they will have a 10 pin grid, one pin is 'missing' though, this lines up with the blank spot on your F.P. connector
your audio cable only needs one of the connectors plugging in, use the hd one if you can, and leave the ac97 one unconnected.
hope this helps a bit?
Moto

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Thanks!

But the problem is that that the blank spot on the usb connector is in a different spot than the blank pin on the motherboard connector.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/kurtcrosbie/?action=view&current=IMAG0083.jpg

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u125/kurtcrosbie/?action=view&current=IMAG0085.jpg

I cant make out your pins on that pic too well, but I can see what you mean, other than maybe contacting Rosewill and getting some confirmations off them, i can only suggest chopping up the F.P. blocks and sliding the wires onto the pins after you identify which is what on them,
Sorry I can't be more help man,
Moto

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

Thanks. I'll just save myself the trouble and not use those usb ports in front.