power panel utility for sony pcg-sr17k

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Power Panel Utility for the sony pcg-sr17k is not available from
the sony site
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCGSR17K,
however it IS available for the SR7K
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCGSR7K

I'm looking to either (A) figure out if the power panel is the same for
both systems, or (B) Just have somebody hook me up with the power panel
utility for the sr17k straight from their restore CD (which I of course
don't have).

I've already talked to sony and asked them to host the sr17k's power
panel utility, but I don't have any expectations that they'll fufill my
request any too quickly.

I currently have the SR7k's download installed, and it appears to work
fine. My biggest concern is that the windows battery power meter and
the sony power meter disagree big time about remaining time. Frankly,
I'd like to keep the windows power meter from ever showing up in my
taskbar. Any clue if there is a registry setting to do that?

-Ethan

Nope.. can't do that... forgot to mention it's a win2k pro install.
This Sony only has 128 MB RAM so I went with win2k instead of XP.. I'm
thinking of trying to find some more for it, but I don't think it's all
that available. It uses an even smaller RAM form factor than SO-dimms.

So... windows 2000 power meter taskbar icon disabling anybody?
Thanks for the great suggestion Terry.

TC

Can you not just use 'Customize Notifications' (Right Click Start button and
choose 'Properties'-Taskbar tab-Customize button) and set to 'Always Hide'
Terry

<hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
> The Power Panel Utility for the sony pcg-sr17k is not available from
> the sony site
> http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCGSR17K,
> however it IS available for the SR7K
> http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=PCGSR7K
>
> I'm looking to either (A) figure out if the power panel is the same for
> both systems, or (B) Just have somebody hook me up with the power panel
> utility for the sr17k straight from their restore CD (which I of course
> don't have).
>
> I've already talked to sony and asked them to host the sr17k's power
> panel utility, but I don't have any expectations that they'll fufill my
> request any too quickly.
>
> I currently have the SR7k's download installed, and it appears to work
> fine. My biggest concern is that the windows battery power meter and
> the sony power meter disagree big time about remaining time. Frankly,
> I'd like to keep the windows power meter from ever showing up in my
> taskbar. Any clue if there is a registry setting to do that?
>
> -Ethan

>Nope.. can't do that... forgot to mention it's a win2k pro install.
>This Sony only has 128 MB RAM so I went with win2k instead of XP.. I'm
>thinking of trying to find some more for it, but I don't think it's all
>that available. It uses an even smaller RAM form factor than SO-dimms.
>
>So... windows 2000 power meter taskbar icon disabling anybody?
>Thanks for the great suggestion Terry.

It will run XPLite perfectly. It has a footprint as small as 600MB.
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

TC

I am not familiar with Win2K but on Win98 and XP, anything in the taskbar is
generally something that is automatically started and therefore can be
disabled with msconfig. I don't think that is available with 2k but most
programs there can be deleted from the various Run sections of the registry;
that is HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Run and
HKCU-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Run. Have you looked for a program there
that might be the power config?

> Nope.. can't do that... forgot to mention it's a win2k pro install.
> This Sony only has 128 MB RAM so I went with win2k instead of XP.. I'm
> thinking of trying to find some more for it, but I don't think it's all
> that available. It uses an even smaller RAM form factor than SO-dimms.
>
> So... windows 2000 power meter taskbar icon disabling anybody?
> Thanks for the great suggestion Terry.

TC

Oops
That should be Windows-Current Version-Run
Terry

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
>I am not familiar with Win2K but on Win98 and XP, anything in the taskbar
>is generally something that is automatically started and therefore can be
>disabled with msconfig. I don't think that is available with 2k but most
>programs there can be deleted from the various Run sections of the
>registry; that is HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Run and
>HKCU-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Run. Have you looked for a program there
>that might be the power config?
> Terry
>
> <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
>> Nope.. can't do that... forgot to mention it's a win2k pro install.
>> This Sony only has 128 MB RAM so I went with win2k instead of XP.. I'm
>> thinking of trying to find some more for it, but I don't think it's all
>> that available. It uses an even smaller RAM form factor than SO-dimms.
>>
>> So... windows 2000 power meter taskbar icon disabling anybody?
>> Thanks for the great suggestion Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS