Sign in with
Your question

Which would make a better system (gaming/work)

Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2010 6:46:21 AM

In a few weeks It looks like I'll have a choice to put these three combos together with their prices in the same ballpark. I am assuming The new Sandybridges will give at least a modes price cut to the current I7 lines.
So which would be better for a gaming/working system (65%/35%)?

1) I7-875 on higher performance mainboard (1156)with 4gig performance memory (dual channel)

2) I7-950 on middle to better mainboard (1366) with 6gig (tri channel) performance mem.

3) I5-2500K on higher performance mainboard (1155) with 4 gig performance ram

Some moderate overclocking will be done
SLI/crossfire option nice but not a real need

I will be reusing the rest of my current systems hardware (case, PSU, etc...)
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 7:48:54 AM

Sandy Bridge pricing and performance are still somewhat of an unknown, so it's a tough pick until these numbers become available.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 7:53:38 AM

If its ok with you to wait for the SB would say get that. But the other rigs you mention are also good enough for gaming for the next 2-3 years.

Also define "work". What kind of work would you do?
Related resources
December 13, 2010 8:30:43 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
If its ok with you to wait for the SB would say get that. But the other rigs you mention are also good enough for gaming for the next 2-3 years.

Also define "work". What kind of work would you do?

Some photoshop and hopefully Autocad on this system. I also intend to use this as more of a multimedia system than previously. No heavy video encoding.
I'm trying to stay higher end to add longevity rather than massive power next week.

I tend to upgrade my gpu card every year or so.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 8:38:51 AM

January 5th is the release date of the SB, if you can be patient till then, then i suggest you do that. Of course high end SB would be coming out later in the year.

But for the task you mentioned, the X58 route is best if you buy now.
December 13, 2010 11:31:38 PM

I'm definately waiting, but like I said, all three setups should be in the same ballpark price-wise. I guess we'll have to wait and see on SB benchmarks, but as far as the 875 and the 950...which would you rather have?
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 6:05:26 AM

950, because LGA1366 chips perform a bit better in the multi-threaded apps and you photoshop stuff may benefit. But also you need a good GPU. But gaming wise they are the same.

Also the 950 would up your budget a lot. X58 boards are expensive than the P55 one's, plus triple channel RAM's.
December 14, 2010 8:04:10 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
950, because LGA1366 chips perform a bit better in the multi-threaded apps and you photoshop stuff may benefit. But also you need a good GPU. But gaming wise they are the same.

Also the 950 would up your budget a lot. X58 boards are expensive than the P55 one's, plus triple channel RAM's.

I took that in to consideration as an i7-875 is a bit more expensive so I figured it would be a wash. If the benchmarks on these 2500's and 2600's are as good as we're hoping, the prices for 1366 platforms have to fall, too...right?
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 8:16:14 AM

They already have fallen in late August, quite a lot to make room for the upcoming chips. If there's a chip in the same segment as the current i7/i5 chips are then you may see a drop in the older chips. Otherwise you may not. Pretty hard to tell actually. E8400 still costs a bomb even after 2 generations of chips have passed!
!