Solved

I feel like a noob!

I am wondering if you guys could help me make a decision on what i should up grade first to get the most fps out of my games.

athlon 2 x2 at 3ghz stock cooler
4gb of 333mhz ddr2
gts 250 512
windows 7
1680x1050

games are BFBC2, crysis, orange box and some rts's like starcraft

my price range is 100 to 150 dollars

I would like to buy a week before christmas so the packages will come in somewhere near the end of december.

I appreciate any help that i get! thx :D

also how much does a ssd drive gain in fps over a hdd? :p
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about feel noob
  1. Best answer
    A new CPU like Phenom II X4 955(if your motherboard supports it) is a good choice
    And SSD won't give you a FPS boost at all,it only lowers the load/boot times
  2. Maziar said:
    A new CPU like Phenom II X4 955(if your motherboard supports it) is a good choice
    And SSD won't give you a FPS boost at all,it only lowers the load/boot times

So would be going lower say a athlon 2 x4 and upgrading the ram be a better thing to gain more fps or just buying your suggested quad core be more than that?
  3. Athlon II X4 is also good especially if your main task is gaming.
  4. Maziar said:
    Athlon II X4 is also good especially if your main task is gaming.

So how much does my ram setup affect my frames because i am wondering if i should just go lower on the quad core and buy myself faster ram as well?
  5. A faster RAM will give you a better performance but not as much as an effect of a faster CPU.
  6. Maziar said:
    A faster RAM will give you a better performance but not as much as an effect of a faster CPU.

So will the cpu also help with games like oblivion and fallout 3 better than going to athlon x4 and some faster ram?
  7. Best answer selected by The Warden.
  8. The Warden said:
    So will the cpu also help with games like oblivion and fallout 3 better than going to athlon x4 and some faster ram?

Oblivion and Fallout 3 mainly benefit from a faster VGA rather CPU(It still makes a difference though).
    Some RTS games and other titles such as GTA IV,Prototype Etc. are CPU limited.
Ask a new question

Read More

Games FPS Components Product