Sign in with
Your question

Slow performance of OS

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2010 11:23:26 AM

Hi, I am Kashif Riaz from Pakistan (Lahore)

I am using the following Hardware: -

Processor: Core2Due 2.93 GHz, L2 Cache 3mb

Model: E7500

MotherBoard: Intel DG41 RQ

RAM: Transend 1GB 667

Hard: WD Cavier 1.0 TB (64mb Cache)

My PC is not as fast as it should be, previously i was using Duel Core 2.0GHz but Core2Due is having following problems: -

1. Taking time on OS installation i.e 55 min Approximately (I have checked it many time by changing DvD Discs and optical drives and hard disks and I also sure that there is no virus in HDD because i repartitioned the HDD by windows cd , acronis true image etc, so there is no chance of virus)

2. taking approximately 40 seconds in shutting down of windows 7, whereas my old processor was taking 4 to 6 seconds.

3. CPU slow down while i do multi functions, for example while i copy some data and i ran windows media player or any other software, it is acting very slow.

More about : slow performance

a c 159 à CPUs
December 13, 2010 12:20:20 PM

Windows 7 doesn't run well with 1 gb of ram; I recommend 4 gb; I use 6 with my 64 bit version.
m
l
December 13, 2010 1:29:11 PM

Get ur self a second 1Gb ddr2 ram from hafiz center or any other area in Lahore. Try to find the same model Ram or else buy a 2GB ram of some other model. 2Gb is minimum for win 7 to run smoothly. Ram increase will make things smoother. For slow shutdown, search in google "windows 7 slow shutdown" and it will give u gud results of many tips for making shutdown faster, it is related to many things so i cant post each one here.
m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
December 13, 2010 1:43:15 PM

And just to confirm, the only change you made to the computer was changing the processor?
Can you try the old processor again to confirm that that is the change causing issues?

A possibility is that the heatsink was improperly installed, causing high temperatures and therefore causing the CPU to slow itself down in order to protect from damage.
m
l
December 13, 2010 2:27:57 PM

Hmmm.....The problems are due to:
1) RAM: Windows 7 64 bit vresions need a minimum of 2 GB RAM (Recommended 4GB).
Solution: Check the configuration: Is it 2X512 MB or 1X1GB. If it is 1X1GB just 1GB more. Otherwise, for better performance remove 1X512MB and add 1X2GB. If your budget is not too tight i recommend 2X2GB. It will make your PC smooth.
Why to do so: I am running Windows7 Ultimate (64-bit) on 2X2GB RAM, when i open my task manager i see that idle system takes up to 700MB RAM, i.e. just the OS. For other programs there is only 300MB more if you have 1GB. You can open the task manager using (ctrl+alt+del) and check the physical memory usage under the performance TAB.
Referrence: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-r...

You said that your old core2duo performed much faster. I would just like to ask you a few questions to clarify your problems:
1) Could you specify the model no. of your old CPU?
2) Also what OS did you use on your old CPU?
3) Is your Windows 7 a clean install? (I mean how much is it used after installation? and did you format the windows drive before installing windows? because if there are registry errors or mallware problems they can be solved without the need of changing the hardware.)
4) Are all the drivers properly installed?
I can help you more efficiently with more knowledge of the problem.......
m
l
December 13, 2010 3:02:18 PM

chintandhandha said:
Hmmm.....The problems are due to:
1) RAM: Windows 7 64 bit vresions need a minimum of 2 GB RAM (Recommended 4GB).
Solution: Check the configuration: Is it 2X512 MB or 1X1GB. If it is 1X1GB just 1GB more. Otherwise, for better performance remove 1X512MB and add 1X2GB. If your budget is not too tight i recommend 2X2GB. It will make your PC smooth.
Why to do so: I am running Windows7 Ultimate (64-bit) on 2X2GB RAM, when i open my task manager i see that idle system takes up to 700MB RAM, i.e. just the OS. For other programs there is only 300MB more if you have 1GB. You can open the task manager using (ctrl+alt+del) and check the physical memory usage under the performance TAB.
Referrence: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-r...

You said that your old core2duo performed much faster. I would just like to ask you a few questions to clarify your problems:
1) Could you specify the model no. of your old CPU?
2) Also what OS did you use on your old CPU?
3) Is your Windows 7 a clean install? (I mean how much is it used after installation? and did you format the windows drive before installing windows? because if there are registry errors or mallware problems they can be solved without the need of changing the hardware.)
4) Are all the drivers properly installed?
I can help you more efficiently with more knowledge of the problem.......

Reply chintandhandha

Sir, 1. Old Procesor was duel core 2 GHz, and i don't remeber its model.

2. Windows 7 was old OD

3. I did clean installation every time (Many time) and format the HDD even repartition, and C drive takes different space on deferent versions of win.7 (gamer edition, matrix edition, nvidia edition, fusion edition, simple window, blood bath edition, Last OS edition etc mean i have checked many many version of windows 7 and OS takes 7 or 10 or 12 GB of HDD space on C drive.
4. yes drivers are properly installed, Original disc is within and i have also downloaded latest from homepage.

m
l
December 13, 2010 3:09:58 PM

mianmars said:
Get ur self a second 1Gb ddr2 ram from hafiz center or any other area in Lahore. Try to find the same model Ram or else buy a 2GB ram of some other model. 2Gb is minimum for win 7 to run smoothly. Ram increase will make things smoother. For slow shutdown, search in google "windows 7 slow shutdown" and it will give u gud results of many tips for making shutdown faster, it is related to many things so i cant post each one here.

I have checked it by using the same bus speed ram, but result is same
and i was also using 1 GB RAM on my old system, DvD drive is same, even discs are same
m
l
December 13, 2010 3:15:06 PM

^ u mean u have added another 1GB ram and speed was still slow?
m
l
December 13, 2010 3:31:19 PM

enzo matrix said:
And just to confirm, the only change you made to the computer was changing the processor?
Can you try the old processor again to confirm that that is the change causing issues?

A possibility is that the heatsink was improperly installed, causing high temperatures and therefore causing the CPU to slow itself down in order to protect from damage.

I have checked heat sink thoroughly
m
l
December 13, 2010 4:19:40 PM

It is a bit strange though. Anyway, for now try this:
1) If possible get a set of 2X2GB or 1X1GB RAM set either 667mHz or 800mHz (both of same speed). There is no need of purchasing at the moment, you can borrow from a friend of yours, if possible.
2) As i mentioned earlier use (ctrl+alt+del) to open task manager and navigate to the performance tab. you will see some graphs. Two will be showing CPU usage and one for the physical memory usage. Check the physical memory usage. How much % or MB is it?
3) Was the OS a Win7 64-bit on the old CPU?
4) IF everything except the processor was left unchanged then the only problem i can think of is with the BIOS settings. Maybe you changed the processor but the BIOS settings are left unchanged creating compatibility issues for you new CPU. I am not sure about this so, i don't want you to tweak with those settings. Anything wrong in the BIOS can lead to serious problems.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
December 14, 2010 2:18:24 AM

kashifarri said:
I have checked heat sink thoroughly

And you checked the temperatures with a program like HWmonitor or coretemp, I assume.

4) IF everything except the processor was left unchanged then the only problem i can think of is with the BIOS settings. Maybe you changed the processor but the BIOS settings are left unchanged creating compatibility issues for you new CPU. I am not sure about this so, i don't want you to tweak with those settings. Anything wrong in the BIOS can lead to serious problems.
+1. I recommend checking your CPU settings in the bios and ensuring they read as they should for your processor model.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 8:12:16 AM

1) reset cmos, then set date/time and boot order ONLY
2) check temps in bios - should be below 55*c (incorrectly installed HSF will cause throttling)
3) test all hardware using memtest, furmark, prime, hdtune etc
4) (if all hardware passes tests) backup all data and zero write the hdd
5) install windows (please DONT use partitions - there useless)
6) goto manafacturers websites for the latest drivers (eg intel for intel chipset, realtek for realtek's chips etc)

1gb is useless for todays systems - 2gb is for a budget system, 4gb is average.
m
l
December 14, 2010 4:17:08 PM

After a little bit more digging, i suggest you to try this:
-On the boot screen GO TO THE BIOS MENU (The button will be specified on the screen. Eg: Del)
-There will be an option to reset the bios settings to defaults. Do it. Save and exit.

Now if the problem still persists. I would like you to do the following:
1) Remove the heatsink and the CPU carefully.
2)Check for any missing Pins on the motherboard or for any damaged pads on the processor. It will not be clear so i recommend to use a magnifying glass. DO NOT TOUCH ANY PAD OR PIN. Before you do so, inform that reset BIOS did not work.
m
l
December 15, 2010 3:06:11 AM

apache_lives said:
1) reset cmos, then set date/time and boot order ONLY
2) check temps in bios - should be below 55*c (incorrectly installed HSF will cause throttling)
3) test all hardware using memtest, furmark, prime, hdtune etc
4) (if all hardware passes tests) backup all data and zero write the hdd
5) install windows (please DONT use partitions - there useless)
6) goto manafacturers websites for the latest drivers (eg intel for intel chipset, realtek for realtek's chips etc)

1gb is useless for todays systems - 2gb is for a budget system, 4gb is average.

Thanks Brother!
1- i have checked it by reseting the bios settings to default
2- I have checked the Temp it is below 51
3- Plz tell me in brief that how i can test all hardware using memtest, furmark, prime, hdtune etc

Regards!
Kashif_Riaz
m
l
December 15, 2010 3:08:38 AM

chintandhandha said:
After a little bit more digging, i suggest you to try this:
-On the boot screen GO TO THE BIOS MENU (The button will be specified on the screen. Eg: Del)
-There will be an option to reset the bios settings to defaults. Do it. Save and exit.

Now if the problem still persists. I would like you to do the following:
1) Remove the heatsink and the CPU carefully.
2)Check for any missing Pins on the motherboard or for any damaged pads on the processor. It will not be clear so i recommend to use a magnifying glass. DO NOT TOUCH ANY PAD OR PIN. Before you do so, inform that reset BIOS did not work.

Thanks for your kind reply and suggestions

I have checked all these things carefully and also my motherboard is absolutely new
m
l
December 15, 2010 3:12:01 AM

o1die said:
Windows 7 doesn't run well with 1 gb of ram; I recommend 4 gb; I use 6 with my 64 bit version.

You are right but i was using the same RAM on my old system that was duel core speed 2.0GHz and even windows was also 7
m
l
December 15, 2010 3:25:26 AM

chintandhandha said:
It is a bit strange though. Anyway, for now try this:
1) If possible get a set of 2X2GB or 1X1GB RAM set either 667mHz or 800mHz (both of same speed). There is no need of purchasing at the moment, you can borrow from a friend of yours, if possible.
2) As i mentioned earlier use (ctrl+alt+del) to open task manager and navigate to the performance tab. you will see some graphs. Two will be showing CPU usage and one for the physical memory usage. Check the physical memory usage. How much % or MB is it?
3) Was the OS a Win7 64-bit on the old CPU?

You r right , it is strange i am also surprised because i have never seen it.

1- I have checked it by using 1x1GB 667 and 01x667+01x800 but shutting down time is same as on single RAM
3-Yes OS was 7 on my old system
4-I have checked the bios settings thoroughly, and i changed the motherboard+processor both by purchasing the newone

Regards!
Kashif_Riaz
m
l
December 16, 2010 6:50:18 PM

Strange...then the only problem could be a manufacturing defect as you said you have already swapped the drives.You said that your motherboard is also new.Did you change it with the cpu? Then there could be a problem with the motherboard too.As suggested above run all the hardware tests to make sure everything its alright with the hardware.Also just for making sure you can try using another core2duoon your motherboard. Try to get it from a friend.In fact you can use any processor that is supported by the motherboard.
Well this is the strangest problem I have heard of with intel

keep posting.......
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2010 7:15:55 PM

It may be strange that if the only thing to change was the CPU it suddenly got slower, however, I'm am fairly certain that as many have said, adding more RAM will do more to increase your PC's speed than any other upgrade you could perform right now. It may or may not be the problem at this time but it will for sure be a bottleneck.

And just another thought, did you make sure the motherboard supports the CPU you put into it, and do you have the latest BIOS for it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2010 8:44:56 PM

2214498,6,783268 said:
Reply chintandhandha

Sir, 1. Old Procesor was duel core 2 GHz, and i don't remeber its model.

2. Windows 7 was old OD

3. I did clean installation every time (Many time) and format the HDD even repartition, and C drive takes different space on !!!"""deferent versions of win.7 (gamer edition, matrix edition, nvidia edition, fusion edition, simple window, blood bath edition, Last OS edition etc""""!!!!! :non:  mean i have checked many many version of windows 7 and OS takes 7 or 10 or 12 GB of HDD space on C drive.

What do you mean by these different editions?
I am familiar with starter,home premium,ultimate,professional etc that are legit windows 7 editions.
I hope you are not using Pirate editions are you?
No good comes from downloaded Windows (Bots,Trojans ect)
Maybe I am wrong and there are legit versions named matrix,gamer etc....
Never heard of them
If somebody has info on these please let me know
m
l
July 27, 2011 11:02:49 AM

Windows 7 is an advance and fast perfirming operating system but sometimes it performance get degraded due to some internal changes. If you have very large amount of data on your system then you should add extra RAM. Along with this you should also make some internal changes to speed up windows 7 performance such as removal of unwanted start up items, deleteing invalid short cuts and cleaning privacy and temporary files. Make these simple changes on your system and look how fast it will run.
m
l
!