Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Front panel switch/audio/USB

Last response: in Components
December 13, 2010 11:46:33 AM

Hey there folks

I'm experimenting with building a computer outside of a regular buy-over-the-counter case. Is it possible to, without tearing apart an old case, buy front panel on/reset/LED/audio/USB as a bundle? (i.e. all on the same piece of plastic)

I've done a bit of a Google/TH/new egg search, and I must be typing in the wrong search terms, because I'm not coming up with much :S

Is it possible to get, for example, a panel that has:
1. On switch
2. Reset switch
3. Power LED
4. HDD LED...
And/or
5. Front panel audio jacks
6. USB

A combo panel with them all would be awesome!

Thanks in advance! :) 
December 13, 2010 12:37:10 PM

I know you didn't want to tear apart a case but a quick google reveals many cases <$20 (sans PSU) and no panels such as you describe. It is unlikely the quality of the bundle you get will be remarkably different from better brands. . . there's not a lot of quality variations of FP momentary switches, LEDs, and wires when you eliminate all else. . . .
-a
m
l
December 13, 2010 9:47:19 PM

Thanks mate.
I'm thinking that's my only option... it just seems like such a waste though! Plus I'm in Australia, the cheapest case I can find is $39. Maybe I'll be able to make use of the 5.25 drive cages too...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 14, 2010 9:07:10 AM

Hmm.. if there is one out there (which I would think there is) then it wouldn't be easy to get in Aus :/ 

You could probably make your own power/reset/LED/USB panel with some old parts you might have lying around and also some stuff from a run around the street before hard rubbish collection :)  but it'd probably take more efffort than its worth.
December 15, 2010 4:52:55 AM

Wow that's no cheap. But hey it works I guess.

All the best with your building :) 
m
l
December 21, 2010 11:47:14 PM

And if anybody else reads this for similar information, there is also http://www.frontx.com

I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately no power/reset switch option though.
m
l
December 21, 2010 11:47:35 PM

Best answer selected by outsidemyself.
m
l
!