Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New power supply, new problems

Last response: in Motherboards
August 10, 2011 11:29:23 AM

Hello,

This is my first post on these boards, they always pop up in google when im looking for computer help so i thought i'd give it a go.:) 

Here's my problem, I was hoping you could help me with:

I just bought a new PSU a week ago, switched from my Corsair tx650w V2 to a Be-Quiet Dark Power Pro p9 650w.

The first time i switched on the computer with the new psu, it wouldn't work. All the fans started, including the GPU fan, but the monitor (a 42" LG tv) said "connecting...no signal".

So I restarted the computer again, and this time it worked. The same thing happens about 1 in 5 times when starting the computer.
I noticed that whenever it fails to boot, the DRAM LED on my motherboard doesn't flash...Edit: It actually did flash the last time and still failed to boot, however there's never any activity from the HDD LED.

Also, after a period of inactivity, when i switch from the tv to the hdmi port on the tv display, the monitor gives me the same "connecting...no signal" message, until i move the mouse, I dont think this happened with the old PSU.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I've contacted the Be-Quiet tech support, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Is this problem most likely due to a faulty PSU or are there any settings i need to adjust? This PSU is modular unlike the last one.

Here are the rest of my computer parts:

Antec Three Hundred ATX
Intel Core i5 2500K
Asus P8P67 B3 P67 ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 1280MB PCI-Express
Kingston DDR3 1333 MHz 4 GB
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB S-ATA/300
Samsung DVD±RW 22x Double Layer
Corsair TX 650W

Any help you could give me would really be appreciated!

More about : power supply problems

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 297 V Motherboard
August 10, 2011 3:35:41 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Can you test again with your Corsair PSU?
m
l
August 10, 2011 4:21:54 PM

Thanks! :) 

I'll give it a go, and get back to you.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2011 10:10:21 AM

Ok, so I've had the old power supply in since yesterday, started up the computer a number of times without any failures.

The only difference between the setups, is that i use 2 molex connectors to the GPU with the Corsair, and one of the case fans runs on full power, also with a molex connector.
The B-Quiet one has its own fan contacts which i used for that case fan.

None of that should make any difference, should it?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 297 V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 1:08:32 PM

Uhmm.

Try to connect now the new PSU in the same way than the Corsair.
m
l
August 11, 2011 1:42:49 PM

I don't have enough molex connectors for that on the BQuiet, but ive connected the GPU via molex now, the fan still goes to the PSU fan contact.
No failures so far, I'll keep rebooting and see.
m
l
August 11, 2011 1:50:22 PM

It just failed again...4th or 5th try.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 297 V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 2:17:53 PM

The problem is the PSU.
August 11, 2011 2:20:45 PM

Best answer selected by ArtfulBotcher.
m
l
August 11, 2011 2:20:46 PM

Ok, I contacted the place where i bought it and they said that it was probably the PSU aswell. Wasn't sure though, because they're not primarily a computer store.
Thanks for the help. :) 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 297 V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 2:25:02 PM

Not problem, but your Corsair is a very solid GPU for your rig.
m
l
August 11, 2011 3:07:12 PM

Yeah, people have warned me about switching to Be-Quiet, but it is REALLY quiet. ;) 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 297 V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 3:24:22 PM

I still prefer Corsair :D 
m
l
!