How much volts(ac) a 550W PSU will consume ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unreal2010

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Hello guys

Well, my question is simple and straight .
I have cooler master 550W GX series PSU.
I am confused,
IS that mean " 550W GX PSU WILL BE TAKING LESS(90V-240V AC) FROM THE WALL AND WILL CONVERT IT INTO 550W OUTPUT?

SO

THAT MEANS FOR HE 550GX

INPUT POWER ---- less than 240V ac &
OUTPUT POWER ---- more than or equal to 550 W ?

I just wanna know , how much volts (v ac) it will/may take from the wall ? And how much it will deliver .
And will a 650 W ups be fine for this 550W GX power supply ?

Please en-light me , and if some1 know what is the meaning of :
ATX 12V V 2.31
THANK U GUYS :D

Solution
" 550W GX PSU WILL BE TAKING LESS(90V-240V AC) FROM THE WALL AND WILL CONVERT IT INTO 550W OUTPUT?
No.

how much volts (v ac) it will/may take from the wall ? And how much it will deliver .
120V AC and it will deliver +12V DC, -12V DC, +5V DC, +3.3V DC to the various components as needed.

Yes. The UPS will be capable of delivering 120V to a maximum of 5.4A. I doubt your computer will draw that much current.

The power supply's purpose is to convert 120V AC (alternating current) to the required DC voltages for various components.

So the Voltage is a constant. The power supply will not decide on the input voltage to draw. This is why things can be...
" 550W GX PSU WILL BE TAKING LESS(90V-240V AC) FROM THE WALL AND WILL CONVERT IT INTO 550W OUTPUT?
No.

how much volts (v ac) it will/may take from the wall ? And how much it will deliver .
120V AC and it will deliver +12V DC, -12V DC, +5V DC, +3.3V DC to the various components as needed.

Yes. The UPS will be capable of delivering 120V to a maximum of 5.4A. I doubt your computer will draw that much current.

The power supply's purpose is to convert 120V AC (alternating current) to the required DC voltages for various components.

So the Voltage is a constant. The power supply will not decide on the input voltage to draw. This is why things can be overvoltaged and why we need a converter if we use our equipment in europe where their power lines are 240V. So the input will be 120V. The power supply will however draw the Current it needs.

The output Voltage will be various, for various components. The various outs are indicated by the colour of the wires that you see. These are: +12V DC, -12V DC, +5V DC, +3.3V DC. Here is a detailed pinout:
http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

About the current: The power supply will draw the current it needs to power the components.
Wattage is Voltage multiplied by current. In this case, the output voltage multiplied by the output current. So each "rail" or power wire can have a measured maximum wattage. This is determined by the manufacturer and tested by them. The 550W you see is basically the maximum recommended power draw from the power supply. Going over that could lead to damage or it blowing up. Good quality power supplies will have more safety features in place and also have a tendency to have more available current on the +12V rails where it is most needed (the highest current draw is from components that heavily use the +12V rails)

So in summary
-120V AC input
-+12V DC, -12V DC, +5V DC, and +3.3V DC outputs
-The power supply will draw as much current as is needed to power your computer at any given moment.
-P=IV (power equals current multiplied by voltage. Power is measured in Watts.)

As summarized by you but corrected by me:
INPUT POWER ---- less than 120V ac &
OUTPUT POWER ---- Depends on the power the computer needs. Hopefully less than 550W because the power supply could run into serious issues or explode if you tax it past it's limit of 550W combined.

Please en-light me , and if some1 know what is the meaning of :
Quote :

ATX 12V V 2.31

In what context?

Solution

unreal2010

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Thnx enzo matrix , really appreciate ur reply, most of the things I understood and most I didn't :) .
SO , u r simply saying , that the 550W PSU will draw less alternate current(AC) about 120 or may be 200volts max , and will give an overall outcome power of about 550W, or give how much is required right ?
And about how much time the 650W ups will give as a backup on the scenario when the power goes ?
Thanks 4 ur reply my friend

Not quite.

that the 550W PSU will draw less alternate current(AC) about 120 or may be 200volts max
No. Current and voltage are different. It will draw the current requires. The voltage will be constant at 120V AC input.
volts X current gives wattage.

will give an overall outcome power of about 550W, or give how much is required right ?
Yep.

And about how much time the 650W ups will give as a backup on the scenario when the power goes ?
Time depends on the battery capacity of the UPS. But even on a normal office computer and a powerful one I wouldn't expect more than 30 minutes.
Tom's recently did an article on UPS's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apc-smt1500-cyberpower-cp1500pfclcd-tripp-lite-smart1500slt,2785.html

unreal2010

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Common mate, make it simple and clear .

In my socket , the running current is 240v, ok , now u just tell whether or not my cooler master 550W GX PSU will run if i take a new UPS of 650W output ?

I really don't know how much clearer I can make it. I'm sorry mate, maybe someone else can rehash what I have said in a way that you can understand better. ;)

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.