Sign in with
Your question

$1500 system good enough for FFXIV and SC2 on high setting?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2010 5:39:35 AM

hi, i wanted to get a new system to run on ffxiv and sc2 both on high setting on my 40" new LED hdtv on hdmi full setting(1920 x 1080). ive been checking on prebuild on dell xps 9100. please let me know if this can run on the ffxiv on high setting or i need a even better system. Thanks in advance!!

this is what i came up from dell custom build.

Studio XPS
Operating System Win 7 Home Premium, 64bit

Processors Intel® Core™i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz)

Memory 9GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 DIMMs

Video Card ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

Hard Drive 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Optical Drives Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability 16DVDRW

Sound THX® TruStudio PC™

power 525watts

this system will cost me around $1500 after tax and everything.

ps. dont plan to build my own system since i have not done it for so long and no time to deal with. thanks for helping me here.

More about : 1500 system good ffxiv sc2 high setting

September 20, 2010 5:55:25 AM

You might find this article an interesting read . . .

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/starcraft-ii-radeon-geforce,2728.html

. . . and you can decide for yourself whether you'll be OK with your buy, or whether more would be worthwhile.

It's a shame you won't be able to apply even a mild overclock to that Dell system, though, but you don't have the time for a build.
m
l
September 20, 2010 8:41:23 AM

yes, very interesting.. hmm, still thinking if i should get this
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2010 9:01:18 AM

It'll play it on high.. .. FF IX I havn't seen no benches for it (havn't really paid any attention though either).

But that has a good amount of ram, cpu, and vid. card. So ya it'll play what you want. Specially seing as hi def is a lower/mid resolution when it comes to computers.
m
l
September 20, 2010 6:35:03 PM

For $1500, get a gaming PC elsewhere other than Dell. I have heard bad reviews on customer service/ship times.

But yes, this setup will run FFXIV/SC2 on high.
m
l
September 20, 2010 10:43:47 PM

There isn't a vendor, review site, or forum I haven't heard "bad reviews" about. Dell support ratings are pretty good for a company that has to deal by phone with people who by and large know nothing about computers.

One thought for the OP - you might check out making a similar purchase from a vendor that builds using standard brand-name parts, like those you would purchase from Newegg. The benefit is you have full access to the BIOS, and full ability to upgrade, just as if you built. It might even be worth a few extra bucks to get that . . . if you can't build yourself.
m
l
September 21, 2010 1:10:33 AM

jirokun said:
hi, i wanted to get a new system to run on ffxiv and sc2 both on high setting on my 40" new LED hdtv on hdmi full setting(1920 x 1080). ive been checking on prebuild on dell xps 9100. please let me know if this can run on the ffxiv on high setting or i need a even better system. Thanks in advance!!

this is what i came up from dell custom build.

Studio XPS
Operating System Win 7 Home Premium, 64bit

Processors Intel® Core™i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz)

Memory 9GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 DIMMs

Video Card ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5

Hard Drive 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Optical Drives Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability 16DVDRW

Sound THX® TruStudio PC™

power 525watts

this system will cost me around $1500 after tax and everything.

ps. dont plan to build my own system since i have not done it for so long and no time to deal with. thanks for helping me here.

That system will completely destroy StarCraft II on Ultra, and should run FFXIV maxed out as well. I only played about 15 minutes of FFXIV before realizing how terrible the game is for PC (looks beautiful, but buy it on PS3 - the controls are horrendous on the PC version, as it's basically a console port) but I had everything maxed out at 1280x1024 and it ran very smooth, and I only spent $1k on my comp. Should run fine on yours.

Have to agree on the Dell being terrible computers, though. Worked as a PC Tech at Circuit City's corporate HQ for four years, and by far the least reliable computers were Dells and HPs. And when I say by far, I mean about 50% of all computers repaired company wide over the four year period were Dells, with another 40% being HP/Compaqs. I doubt they've gotten their act together that much in the last few years, but who knows.
m
l
September 21, 2010 4:36:38 AM

ic, thanks for all the advice. it seems like dell got a really bad reputation anywhere i read. now im thinking to hold off and build my own...
m
l
September 21, 2010 7:59:17 AM

Serejai said:
I mean about 50% of all computers repaired company wide over the four year period were Dells, with another 40% being HP/Compaqs.
What were the sales shares?

Also, telling a guy his system will absolutely destroy Starcraft II on Ultra because your (unspecified) system kicks ass at 1280 doesn't advance the conversation.

If he's gaming on a tiny square screen, he's wasting half his budget.
m
l
!