Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD and HDD Set up

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2012 4:47:25 PM

I'm not very familiar with Windows, I normally use Ubunutu Linux, but due to some difficulties I will be installing it. That being said, I have no idea what to do xD I asked about driver installation (don't think I have gotten replies yet though), but I also need to know how to set the SSD as the boot and the HDD as the storage. I know to install Windows before connecting the HDD, but what do I do from there? How do I mount or install or whatever the HDD? What do I put where? Complete noob in regards to this haha.

Components:
90GB Corsair Force3 SSD
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

If any additional info is needed, just ask.
Thanks in advance. =)

More about : ssd hdd set

a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 5:44:20 PM

LOL... if you use to Linux.. Windows will be a breeze...

No need "install windows before connecting the HDD"... just connect them up....
And go through the install... it will detect the drives... you can chose which to install windows on...
and then it will all "just happen"... windows will be installed and when you start it up the first time
your other HDD will be there... you dont need manually "mount" it etc.. . this is windows

Fro Drivers... Windows will prob have most of what you need within its installs... but as long as you have the network driver.. so windows can connect to internet when it starts.. it will find most of any remaining drivers it needs as part of its "windows update" process.

Have fun
HTH
Cheers
m
l
December 30, 2012 2:13:38 AM

yoji said:
LOL... if you use to Linux.. Windows will be a breeze...

No need "install windows before connecting the HDD"... just connect them up....
And go through the install... it will detect the drives... you can chose which to install windows on...
and then it will all "just happen"... windows will be installed and when you start it up the first time
your other HDD will be there... you dont need manually "mount" it etc.. . this is windows

Fro Drivers... Windows will prob have most of what you need within its installs... but as long as you have the network driver.. so windows can connect to internet when it starts.. it will find most of any remaining drivers it needs as part of its "windows update" process.

Have fun
HTH
Cheers

Well damn, wish I would have known that. I left it unconnected, what do I now? Any commands? xD

As for drivers, I didn't have the software my network thing, little wireless USB plug. (I can't think of the name for the life of me right now) That was awful. I couldn't get on internet to find the software, and I couldn't find the disk. I had to download it on my phone and then move it over haha.

Edit:
Wireless adapter! That's what it's called xD
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 8:48:17 AM

BloodyDream3 said:
Well damn, wish I would have known that. I left it unconnected, what do I now? Any commands? xD

As for drivers, I didn't have the software my network thing, little wireless USB plug. (I can't think of the name for the life of me right now) That was awful. I couldn't get on internet to find the software, and I couldn't find the disk. I had to download it on my phone and then move it over haha.

Edit:
Wireless adapter! That's what it's called xD

No commands... just turn off your comp and disconnect power (just to be safe)... connect your HDD SATA and power and start it up
Windows will detect.. and mount it automatically. You will just need format it and it will be ready to use.
Can recall if unformatted disks show up in "my computer"... in which case right click and format will be all you need do.
If it not show there... go to Start -> Control Panel --> System and Security -->Administrative Tools -> computer Management -> storage -> Disk Management (assuming Win7.. though others will be very similar)
and select the drive and select format from there.

Yes.. without the network driver thats exactly the problem... you then cant get online to get the network driver!!!!
So usual thing its to make sure you get that BEFORE you destroy your curent build.

Anyway.. sounds like you got it all sorted... well done :) 

Cheers
December 30, 2012 11:48:08 AM

yoji said:
No commands... just turn off your comp and disconnect power (just to be safe)... connect your HDD SATA and power and start it up
Windows will detect.. and mount it automatically. You will just need format it and it will be ready to use.
Can recall if unformatted disks show up in "my computer"... in which case right click and format will be all you need do.
If it not show there... go to Start -> Control Panel --> System and Security -->Administrative Tools -> computer Management -> storage -> Disk Management (assuming Win7.. though others will be very similar)

Yes.. without the network driver thats exactly the problem... you then cant get online to get the network driver!!!!
So usual thing its to make sure you get that BEFORE you destroy your curent build.

Anyway.. sounds like you got it all sorted... well done :) 

Cheers

I had to use a command last night for something else haha, something dealing with a virus (used Ubuntu forever and never got a virus, Windows for a day and got one).
I have already have the power cable connected and the SATA cable connected to my motherboard, all I have to do is put it in the HDD.
Yes it is 7 though haha. Thanks a bunch, will do it later.
m
l
December 30, 2012 2:22:37 PM

yoji said:

They don't show up in "my computer". You were right on how to format it, but I had to partition it before I could do that. Thanks for the help, I got it all worked out!
m
l
December 30, 2012 2:22:59 PM

Best answer selected by BloodyDream3.
m
l
!