user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Ok, so you like creeping around up in the hills and rooftops, sending out
surprise Valentines to your enemies with your trusty sniper rifle?

Me too.

And while for some reason NOBODY has come out with a lowcrawl mutator
(YET! I still have hope!), I think I came up with an idea for the next
best thing.

OK, fellow snipers, it's time to crack open your user.ini file and bind
this to a key:

Toggle bDuck

This basically binds the key of your choice to a "crouchlock". You crouch
down and STAY down, allowing you to creep around in small areas without
holding down the crouch key...it also has the advantage of making sure
you don't slip and fall off those high cliffs and rooftops.

The trade-off? You move slower and can't jump until you hit that
Crouchlock key again.

Enjoy!
---

13 <13@1000corpses.org> wrote in

> Ok, so you like creeping around up in the hills and rooftops, sending
> out surprise Valentines to your enemies with your trusty sniper rifle?

No, my new favorite thing is to pop up on enemy snipers on towers and
shield-blast them to the ground. :D

what do u wanna tell by that? is it your personal tactic? i sometimes
also like sniping around and the enemy not knowing where the headshots
came around, but with no need to crouch. there are in most maps places
where u can hide.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Klaus Bregel wrote:

> what do u wanna tell by that? is it your personal tactic? i sometimes
> also like sniping around and the enemy not knowing where the headshots
> came around, but with no need to crouch. there are in most maps places
> where u can hide.

When crouching, you can't fall off cliffs, ledges, or rooftops. That's why
I wanted a crouch-lock. It frees up one finger that I can otherwise use to
control my directional movement.

--
---
13

Vimes

"Klaus Bregel" <space-orbit@gmx.de> wrote in message
> what do u wanna tell by that? is it your personal tactic? i sometimes
> also like sniping around and the enemy not knowing where the headshots
> came around, but with no need to crouch. there are in most maps places
> where u can hide.

would be useful of high platforms using scope(which suks tho - i prefer
sniper melee)

---

> When crouching, you can't fall off cliffs, ledges, or rooftops.
> That's why I wanted a crouch-lock. It frees up one finger that I can
> otherwise use to control my directional movement.

Could be handy driving the Redeemer on ONS-ArcticStronghold. Grab 'deemer,
crouch-lock, fire.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Could be handy driving the Redeemer on ONS-ArcticStronghold. Grab
> 'deemer, crouch-lock, fire.

I hadn't even thought of that, great idea.

--
---
13

Andrew

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:10:56 -0500, "Matt" <nospam.hciss@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Would that be considered cheating? Hate to get banned?

IMO, if it is a simple console command built into the game, Epic can
hardly ban you for using it.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Matt wrote:

> This is a user.ini dummy. What do I put in the user.ini to bind say
> "Z" to it? And what section of user.ini?

Open up your user.ini in a text editor. Scroll down to the section called
"[Engine.Input]". You'll see a long list of all your keyboard keys, and
the commands attached to them.

Just pick the key of your choice and type in this line, exactly, after
the equals sign:

Toggle bDuck

Then save the file.

--
---
13

Kilowatt

Can you make the space bar turn off crouch?

I always thought crouch should be a toggle by default and jump should also
turn it off.

I don't have enough fingers to play this game. Well I have plenty of
fingers they just don't move well enough to play.

"13" <13@1000corpses.org> wrote in message
> Matt wrote:
>
> > This is a user.ini dummy. What do I put in the user.ini to bind say
> > "Z" to it? And what section of user.ini?
>
> Open up your user.ini in a text editor. Scroll down to the section called
> "[Engine.Input]". You'll see a long list of all your keyboard keys, and
> the commands attached to them.
>
> Just pick the key of your choice and type in this line, exactly, after
> the equals sign:
>
> Toggle bDuck
>
> Then save the file.
>

> --
> ---
> 13

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Kilowatt wrote:

> Can you make the space bar turn off crouch?

You can assign the duck toggle to the space bar, but you'll have to
assign whatever command is assigned to the spacebar to a new key.

> I always thought crouch should be a toggle by default and jump should
> also turn it off.

Jump doesn't turn it off.

> I don't have enough fingers to play this game. Well I have plenty of
> fingers they just don't move well enough to play.

That's why I needed a crouch toggle. I use the directional keys and the
mouse to play. I hate using WASD, and haven't EVER used it, and I've been
playing FPS's since Duke Nukem. I need four fingers to control movement
and one finger free to do everything else; my thumb, which is on the
wrong side of my left hand to reach any of those hotkeys, which are all
to the left of the directionals. It was hard to move around crouched,
because using my regular crouch key (right shift) required me to use my
left pinky finger, which means I can only move in three directions when
crouched, since that finger usually controls 'left strafe'.

---

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:37:56 -0500, 13@1000corpses.org <13@1000corpses.org> sayeth:
>> I don't have enough fingers to play this game. Well I have plenty of
>> fingers they just don't move well enough to play.
>
>That's why I needed a crouch toggle. I use the directional keys and the
>mouse to play. I hate using WASD, and haven't EVER used it, and I've been
>playing FPS's since Duke Nukem.

I knew someone who did that (used arrow keys instead of WASD). Trust me,
it's worth using WADS because of the very issue you describe. It'll
take a bit, but once you get used to it, you'll never go back.

The WASD keys are in the exact same pattern and layout as most arrow keys,
so the conversion should be pretty natural.

--
Chris B.
furrier@iglou.com

Kilowatt

I started out using a much diffrent configuration than wasd.
You really should give it another try. I use it now and I am used to it.
I switched for two reasons. The first was UT needs both mouse buttons for
fire.
I used to use a mouse button for move forward.
Every game in the free world now uses that for the default config.

When you get used to it, it is as good as any. I use a foot pad for crouch
because you can't move and crouch at the same time. A toggle that spacebar
cancels would remove the need for a foot pad.

> Kilowatt wrote:
>
> > Can you make the space bar turn off crouch?
>
> You can assign the duck toggle to the space bar, but you'll have to
> assign whatever command is assigned to the spacebar to a new key.
>
> > I always thought crouch should be a toggle by default and jump should
> > also turn it off.
>
> Jump doesn't turn it off.
>
> > I don't have enough fingers to play this game. Well I have plenty of
> > fingers they just don't move well enough to play.
>
> That's why I needed a crouch toggle. I use the directional keys and the
> mouse to play. I hate using WASD, and haven't EVER used it, and I've been
> playing FPS's since Duke Nukem. I need four fingers to control movement
> and one finger free to do everything else; my thumb, which is on the
> wrong side of my left hand to reach any of those hotkeys, which are all
> to the left of the directionals. It was hard to move around crouched,
> because using my regular crouch key (right shift) required me to use my
> left pinky finger, which means I can only move in three directions when
> crouched, since that finger usually controls 'left strafe'.
>
> ---
> 13

Kilowatt

I use wads and I still need a crouch toggle. How do you move and crouch at
the same time?
Not very well I would think.

"Chris Bradley" <furrier@iglou.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:37:56 -0500, 13@1000corpses.org
<13@1000corpses.org> sayeth:
> >> I don't have enough fingers to play this game. Well I have plenty of
> >> fingers they just don't move well enough to play.
> >
> >That's why I needed a crouch toggle. I use the directional keys and the
> >mouse to play. I hate using WASD, and haven't EVER used it, and I've been
> >playing FPS's since Duke Nukem.
>
> I knew someone who did that (used arrow keys instead of WASD). Trust me,
> it's worth using WADS because of the very issue you describe. It'll
> take a bit, but once you get used to it, you'll never go back.
>
> The WASD keys are in the exact same pattern and layout as most arrow keys,
> so the conversion should be pretty natural.
>
> --
> Chris B.
> furrier@iglou.com

what config do you guys use?

i use
left mouse=move forward
right mouse=move backwards
right ctrl=crouch
0(on number pad)=secondary fire
up=primary fire
left=strafe left
right=strafe right
down=jump
mousewheel up=link gun
mousewheel down=avril

the rest of the weapons i just use the number keys.

i find that using other keys on the main keyboard gets confusing
especially when in a tight situation.

damyjuk

That is the most confusing layout I've ever seen!
I use wasd for movement, mb1/mb2 for fire, and weapons assigned to all
the other buttons on my mouse and all the keys around wasd.
Space= jump
alt =crouchtoggle
Pretty standard I think.

--
Toby
asktoby.com

I have crouch assigned to my mouse thumb button, that way it doesn't eat up
any occupied fingers, and it relatively fast-responding.

I have a Logitech Mouseman Wheel, which has a perfect, big mouse buton at
the bottom of the mouse.

The newer mice have the thumb buttons high up, which require you finger to
move upwards before you can press a button, that's slower/more fatigueing
IMO. With the Mouseman Wheel I can leave my thumb resting low and still
press the thumb button. It's the reason I don't have an optical mouse yet...

"Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> schrieb:

>I use wads and I still need a crouch toggle. How do you move and crouch at
>the same time?
>Not very well I would think.

thats why i play with mouse & joystick

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:14:36 -0500, 13 <13@1000corpses.org> wrote:

>And while for some reason NOBODY has come out with a lowcrawl mutator
>(YET! I still have hope!), I think I came up with an idea for the next
>best thing.

Red Orchestra has "prone".
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Julian Richards wrote:

> Red Orchestra has "prone".

That's cool, I hope there's a way to use it within the regular un-modded
game.