New Build HDD Problems

alabamaguy

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I have just completed my first home built computer, and am apparently having problems with my Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive.

While trying to install Windows 7, it would hang at the 'Starting Windows' screen. So, I moved around a few cables and it passed the screen. After that, when prompted to select a HDD to install windows on (or partition the drive like I needed to do), it would say no HDD found. I checked the BIOS and found that the MB (ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard) recognized that 'something' was there because it showed a blank for the SATA port where normally it would show 'Not Connected'. It also showed it as having 0GB of storage and no serial # or manufacturers name. It recognizes the CD/DVD drive just fine, and I've used other cables to connect the HDD and still had the same problem.

Also, when it would hang at the 'Starting Windows' screen, it would rev up like it was working, then click a few times and rev back down. When it went down it sounds like I can hear the platters (or something) spinning slower and slower until it stops.

Is it a BIOS setting problem or hardware issue? I have not installed the drive onto my older PC yet, that was next on the list after posting this.

(Hopefully) My system specs:

Case: ENERMAX FULMO Advance ECA892AG-BL Black SGCC 0.7mm ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
DVD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R...

This is my first build and I prayed I would not have any defective parts so hopefully it's a setting problem; but, Tom's Hardware has never let me down before for any problem so please help!

--Frustrated Newbie

Solution
Try this, Download the UBCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Create a bootable cd. Boot to the CD and Try the utility called DLG Diaganotic (wester digital). to test the drive.

If the drive tests OK, clear any partitions that have been created, then;
For your Bios setting, try using AHCI for the HDD.
Try this, Download the UBCD http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Create a bootable cd. Boot to the CD and Try the utility called DLG Diaganotic (wester digital). to test the drive.

If the drive tests OK, clear any partitions that have been created, then;
For your Bios setting, try using AHCI for the HDD.

Solution

alabamaguy

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Ok, I'm not sure if I did this right but when I boot to the CD it says
"EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 180122
Initial menu has no LABEL entries!
boot: _"

UPDATE:

Did a little more research, turned out to be a bad .iso image. Re-downloading as I type, will report back when I get it to work.

alabamaguy

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I apologize for the delay, I was out of town for a few days.

Anyhow, right before I left I got a correct UBCD .iso file to work on the computer. It ran the tests (using the the DLG Diagnostic) and turned up error codes pointing to a faulty hard drive. RMA'd it and am waiting for the replacement.

Although it was unfortunately a bad drive, thank you for the help!