Solved

8GB Total, 3.99 GB "Usable"

I'm having a problem with my recent build. I have 8 gigabytes of RAM installed but only 3.99 of it are shown as "usable" while the rest is "hardware reserved" I've done a mem test and everything checks fine, the RAM shows correctly in the BIOS, and the sticks are in the proper positions to utilize "dual channel". I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I've checked the BIOS for Memory Hole Remapping but it isn't an available option.

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G45
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ Stock 3.2GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
Storage Device: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Graphics Card: XFX HD-685X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

I also have a Spinpoint F3 as "primary storage".

I've checked and my motherboard most definitely supports more than 8GB (Up to 32GB)

Screenshot of "System" screen and Resource Monitor: (I did Windows Experience Index after this screenshot was taken and received a 7.3)

31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about total usable
  1. The BIOS is turning-off 1 stick. Simple first verify the following:

Next, increase the DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v, and CPU NB Voltage -> 1.25~1.30v.

I assume DDR3 1600MHz 9-9-9-24-2T @ 1.50v:

DRAM Frequency - > DDR3-1600MHz

Optional:
    Advanced DRAM Configuration /Enter
    Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
  2. I checked and completed all of the above and I'm still receiving "3.99 GB Usable".
  3. Try Jumper method - Clear CMOS; page 2-17. Sorry I was out of the office...

I assume the 2x4GB is installed in the 'Blue' DIMM slots {DIMM 2 & 4}, you can 'try' 'Black' DIMM {1 & 3}.

To rule-out a bad DIMM slot: Boot with 1 stick DIMM 2 only then DIMM 4 only, in either case verify that the RAM is properly and securely seated. Failure indicates 'bad' DIMM slot.

If the DIMM slot fails - dampen the RAM contacts with Isopropyl alcohol, insert in DIMM damp, remove RAM clean/repeat, remove and allow to dry 5 minutes, re-install and boot. Production oils are supposed to be removed from the DIMM contact wire.

--

Otherwise, if you are using an aftermarket HSF and if there's any metal to MOBO contact e.g. metal backplate then this too has been know to cause a grounding short.

Screw -> | Metal Backplate | Plastic Washer | [MOBO] | Etc...
  4. Tried all of the above to no avail.

All four of the RAM slots show the correct RAM amount and work properly with it in but when using both sticks I get "3.99 GB usable"

I tried breadboarding it and making sure nothing metal was touching the mobo but with no change.
  5. What HSF?

edit: Since breadboarding -> re-install the Stock HSF...

Also, if you either 'upgraded' the OS from 32-bit -> 64-bit OR have a HACKED WAREZ Windows 7 then many/most are actually 32-bit made to look 64-bit.
  6. It's the one included with the processor.
  7. Also, if you either 'upgraded' the OS from 32-bit -> 64-bit OR have a HACKED WAREZ Windows 7 then many/most are actually 32-bit made to look 64-bit.
  8. It's a legally purchased, clean install of Windows 7.

Is it possible that underclocking it to 1333MHz would have an effect? I had read that AMD processors aren't made to work with 1600 by default.

Edit: That fixed it :D Is there a noticeable difference between 1333 and 1600 or will the underclock cause any negative effects on the hardware itself?

Thank you for all of your help, I'm truly grateful.

9. Your 955 BE is indeed 64-bit and can run 1333 or 1600 MHz RAM. No 1333 MHz has zip to do with this issue 1333 or 1600 MHz + 955 BE, which leads me to ask --- did you try the BIOS settings above as I recommended? IF you indeed did use the Jumper method per above then the RAM is running at 'SPD' 1333 MHz.

As I said, the BIOS 'sees' all the RAM.

Just to check, I assume that you have (2) Program Folders; see -> http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Windows764bitTwoProgramFilesFolders_thumb.png

My assumption is one of the sticks is indeed 'bad'. How many passes of Memtest? Were ALL Tests Pass = no errors and with 8GB being tested?

Next, I assume that you installed ALL of the MSI Drivers for Windows 7 x64 -> http://us.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G45.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7%2064 especially the ATI System Drivers.

You can try DCT Unganged Mode -> Ganged & Unganged; if that fixes the issue then the RAM is ether bad or incompatible with your MOBO + CPU.

---

Otherwise it's time for an RMA of the RAM :(
  10. eddie12390 said:
    Edit: That fixed it :D Is there a noticeable difference between 1333 and 1600 or will the underclock cause any negative effects on the hardware itself?

Thank you for all of your help, I'm truly grateful.

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2706/memoryfixed.png

What fixed it exactly?
  11. jaquith said:
    What fixed it exactly?

Manually setting it to 1333 MHz.

As soon as I booted Windows with that though it became extremely unstable and I got two blue screens, one for PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and one for IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. (Neither of which I received prior to changing the MHz)
  12. Did you ever --->>> DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v, and CPU NB Voltage -> 1.25~1.30v

Then add to the mix:

Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
  13. jaquith said:
    Did you ever --->>> DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v~1.60v, and CPU NB Voltage -> 1.25~1.30v

Then add to the mix:

Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24

I did all of that but it didn't seem to have an effect.

Edit: I don't know if it matters but it may be worth noting that I only have a 500 watt power supply.
  14. IF you don't OC then 450W is the minimum PSU; AMD Phenom II + (1) HD 6800 + 3 Drives {SSD + HDD + DVD}.

Voltages: DRAM Voltage/ SB Voltage/ NB Voltage/ CPU Voltage/ CPU-NB Voltage
    NB Voltage {Chipset} is NOT the same as CPU-NB Voltage {IMC}!

Okay, in CPU-z SPD tab what are the JEDEC CAS and Voltage of Frequency approximately 667MHz? CPU-z -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
  15. 9 and 1.5V
  16. Okay, so DDR3 1333 MHz CAS 9-9-9-24-2T @ 1.50v.

Next, what BIOS are you running? Use the 'Mainboard' tab. Often 4GB/stick density requires 'one of' the latest BIOS. This has been especially true for AMD.
  17. The only information I have is that it's American Megatrends and version 1.0. There were no other BIOS updates for this board.
  18. hOLA, TENGO EL MISMO PROBLEMA, CON LA MISMA PLACA, SOLO QUE TENGO UNAS MUSHKIN 2*2GB en dual chanel a 7-9-7-24

tengo un phenom be 550 y un ssd agylity 3.

En sistemas me dice:
    Ram 4GB (1.99 utilizable)

no se que hacer, lo de msconfig no funciona
  19. Just in case anyone didn't feel like translating it, he has the same problem with different hardware.

jaquith, anything further that I can try?
  20. Orco25 said:
    hOLA, TENGO EL MISMO PROBLEMA, CON LA MISMA PLACA, SOLO QUE TENGO UNAS MUSHKIN 2*2GB en dual chanel a 7-9-7-24

tengo un phenom be 550 y un ssd agylity 3.

En sistemas me dice:
    Ram 4GB (1.99 utilizable)

no se que hacer, lo de msconfig no funciona
    My spanish is close to inexistant, but what version of Windows 7 are you running as 2GB is also the limit of Windows 7 Starter. Otherwise it could be the same problem as Eddie.
  21. Zenthar said:
    My spanish is close to inexistant, but what version of Windows 7 are you running as 2GB is also the limit of Windows 7 Starter. Otherwise it could be the same problem as Eddie.

That was my first impression. He has 4 gigs but only 2 are being used. (He could be on a 32 bit Windows with a 2GB video memory graphics card, also)
  22. *IS THERE STILL A PROBLEM?

If there is still a problem, then let us know if running Memtest:
    1) shows 8GB of memory installed (8192MB), and
    2) Memtest has no errors after running at least two hours?

I'd be glad to help if there is still an issue.
  23. Spanish -> English
    "HELLO, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SAME (MOBO) ONLY Have a MUSHKIN 2 * 2GB 7-9-7-24 Dual Channel
    I have a AMD Phenom 550 and a SSD OCZ Agility 3.
    In systems tells me:
    4GB Ram (1.99 usable)
    MSCONFIG does not work."

There are a variety of reasons this happens, and having the same MOBO means -- zip.

BTW - I left from work and am home now...
    ------------------

Lets try slowing the RAM down:

DRAM Frequency - > DDR3-1333MHz
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v
    CPU NB Voltage -> 1.30v

Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
  24. jaquith said:
    Spanish -> English
    "HELLO, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SAME (MOBO) ONLY Have a MUSHKIN 2 * 2GB 7-9-7-24 Dual Channel
    I have a AMD Phenom 550 and a SSD OCZ Agility 3.
    In systems tells me:
    4GB Ram (1.99 usable)
    MSCONFIG does not work."

There are a variety of reasons this happens, and having the same MOBO means -- zip.

BTW - I left from work and am home now...
    ------------------

Lets try slowing the RAM down:

DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v
    CPU NB Voltage -> 1.30v

Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24

I did the above and now it's showing 6.99GB usable. I'm not sure where the other 1GB went, though. xD

As soon as I put the speed back it goes back to 3.99 usable.

Memory Test checked out fine for all 8192 MB

Edit:

After unchecking maximum ram in MSConfig with the above settings from your post I can use the full 8 gigs. If you know a solution I'd be glad to try it but if not I'm satisfied with the 1333 MHz.
  25. Best answer
    Try the following, the overall difference will be nearly 0 between 1600 CAS 9 vs 1333 CAS 8.

Same as before:
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v
    CPU NB Voltage -> 1.30v

Slight OC - call it a tweak:
    Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 8
    tRCD -> 8
    tRP -> 8
    tRAS -> 24
  26. jaquith said:
    Try the following, the overall difference will be nearly 0 between 1600 CAS 9 vs 1333 CAS 8.

Same as before:
    DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v
    CPU NB Voltage -> 1.30v

Slight OC - call it a tweak:
    Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 8
    tRCD -> 8
    tRP -> 8
    tRAS -> 24

Alright, that worked and I'm still showing 8GB. I'm content with the minor difference (that I'd never notice, anyways). I need the extra RAM though for virtual machines and it makes Photoshop faster.
  27. Unless you're a Borg you'd never notice the difference; it's <1%.

You 'can' try to OC the FSB -> 240 MHz, lower the CPU Ratio and try DRAM Frequency - > DDR3-1600MHz.

3200 / 200 = 16
    3200 / 240 = 13.3...

240 X 14 = 3360 or 3.36GHz

BIOS, OC the FSB:
    CPU Ratio -> 14
    FSB -> 240 Mhz

DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v
    CPU NB Voltage -> 1.30v

Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24
  28. Best answer selected by eddie12390.
  29. jaquith said:
    Unless you're a Borg you'd never notice the difference; it's <1%.

You 'can' try to OC the FSB -> 240 MHz, lower the CPU Ratio and try DRAM Frequency - > DDR3-1600MHz.

3200 / 200 = 16
    3200 / 240 = 13.3...

240 X 14 = 3360 or 3.36GHz

BIOS, OC the FSB:
    CPU Ratio -> 14
    FSB -> 240 Mhz

DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v
    CPU NB Voltage -> 1.30v

Command Rate -> 2
    tCL -> 9
    tRCD -> 9
    tRP -> 9
    tRAS -> 24

It's working well, I'd prefer not to mess with it :p
  30. The info is there -- in case you get in the mood. Good Luck! :)
  31. hi im having the exact problem you have with the 8gb ram and only 3.25 showing up, i have the exact same pc too!. Could you please give me a step by step on how to fix this as im not to bright with computer talk thanx :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory