ACET98

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hello,
The other day I turned on my PC. The monitor was blank. Nothing. I noticed one LED light on the face of the CPU wasn't on. Also noticed that neither the mouse nor the keyboard was being recognized. I opened the case and traced the wires from the light that wasn't working to LED, power and reset connections.
Are all these issues connected? Do I need to install a USB card? how would that solve the light/power issue?
Please let me know what I need.
THANK YOU

If the cpu heatsink is still intact; either the power supply or motherboard needs replacing. But first reseat the power supply cord and check for a power supply toggle switch in back. Don't adjust any red switches; they're for american versus european outlets. (115 or 240)

ACET98

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
i was afraid it might be the mother board....how would i 'reseat' the power supply cord? also the machine is only 2 years old, if that - is that when power supplies usually go?

thanks again.

Can't predict how long any system will last especially after a power surge. All I meant was to check for loose stuff such as the power cord. Other than that, you can check inside for a loose cable, but if you didn't move it recently, my first advice is more likely.

ACET98

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

i reseated the CMOS battery and that seemed to do the trick. there's still one light on the front of the tower that doesn't come on, but, all systems are 'go' for now anyway.

but does this mean that the battery is dying? or do they just stop working all at once?

thanks.