Newbie with SSD and want to know how to install for OS drive

maravill

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Hi,

I just got my samsung 840 pro 256 gb SSD drive and need to install it into my i7 3820 system. The motherboard is the asus P9x79 LE. I don't have a clue and the mobo manual is not too clear on how I attach it. I am backing up the pc as I write so I can start from scratch. I will be installing Windows 7 as the OS on the SSD and then use the hd for data, etc. My mobo has sata III ports.

Anyone who can help? I don't consider myself a pc guru but I am not a newbie either.

If anyone knows of a good video tutorial perhaps... I have searched but haven't found a very clear and detailed one.

Thanks,
Esther

1.)Connect your SSD to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA6G_1 or SATA6G_2).
See page 2-2 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.

2.) Change the mode of the SATA port your drive is connected to AHCI.
See section 3.5.4 (page 3-31) for instructions on how to do it.

3.) Install Windows
4.) After Windows installation is complete reboot and run WEI (Windows Experience Index). Windows will detect your SSD and automatically disable Defrag.

maravill

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Ok i've got the pc open i see the sata 6g uh... How do i connect the two? I was thinking i would have push the SSD card into a slot. Before ordering the ssd i called samsung to see if i needed the adapter, she said no. I have some connectors in the cyberpowerPC kit but they aren't labeled. Not sure what to do.

No, the Samsung 840 Pro is a SATA drive, so you connect it to a SATA port, not a slot on your motherboard.

You need a SATA data cable. One end of the cable connects to your drive and the other end connects to the SATA port on your motherboard.

You also need a SATA power connector. If you have a newer power supply then one end should come from your power supply and the other end connects to your drive.

maravill

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Ahh, I got it. It's so small it looks like you just push it in somewhere... like a flash drive. :) I called a local pc tech guy and he will put it in for $65.00 the Geek Squad for $120.00. :-( I saw on a youtube video that I can just use double sided tape to stick it. I am wondering if this is okay though.