How to connect CPU cabinet to TV

ATi RaDEoN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
HI,
I have Samsung LED 40" 1080p HDTV and want to connect my PC to it.

AMD Phenom ii x4 945 O.C
Asus m4a78 em 1394 O.C
nvidia 9800gt O.C
4 gb ddr 2 ram O.C

Thanks in advance.
Would I be able to use HDMI feature??

Solution
I've recently done this with a Samsung unit a bit smaller and a video card based on an ATI chipset, but I know the tricks now.

Your video card has a DVI output, but not HDMI. As is common, the nVidea website says you can get HDMI from that DVI using an adapter. This works because the electrical signals for HDMI already are in the DVI output connector, so you just need the adapter to make the appropriate connections and change the connector type. Then you use a standard HDMI cable to connect to your TV. When you go shopping for the adapter, do NOT worry about audio from the DVI output for the HDMI cable. See next paragraph.

HDMI cables and systems include 2-channel (stereo) audio in them, but DVI outputs do NOT. ATI designed most of...

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hello.

You should check whether your TV has DVI input, most don't now days. If it doesn't you would have to get a DVI-HDMI converter.

Also its worth checking if your card has a HDMI output, but they're mainly on the cheaper cards.

If you don't care about quality then you could use VGA. Most TVs have them and your card probably came with a DVI-VGA converter.

Hope that helps.

multiscreenz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
If your computer has only VGA, then your TV needs to have VGA or RGB input. If your have DVI on your computer, then you can hook it to your TV via DVI or HDMI. If you don't have DVI on your TV and only HDMI then you will need a DVI to HDMI cable. They are less than $10 on Newegg.com. If your computer is VGA output only, and you don't have VGA or RGB on the TV, then you may be able to hook to it via S-Video. If you have onboard video on your PC then you probably don't have an S-Video output, but if you have an actual graphics card installed, it will probably have S-Video. Most TVs have S-Video, but it's not full HD. Still looks good though.

If you don't know what these formats are, simple google them and click on Images to compare to your equipment.

Ok premptying possible problems : if u do not have onboard HDMI atthe rear of that 9800GT:

Use either VGA or DVI according to what the connectors are on your LVD TV and use those to pass video to TV

Use a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable to pass audio from mobo to TV
image2552.jpg

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
So what does the back or your video card look like?

Is it like this? If it has an HDMI output (the small dark connector with the notched corners) then most likely all you need is a cable to connect the PC to the TV.

Or like this? This has no HDMI output, so you need to check your TV to see if there is a DVI input. If so, then get a DVI cable. If not, get an adapter to attach to your HDMI cable.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I've recently done this with a Samsung unit a bit smaller and a video card based on an ATI chipset, but I know the tricks now.

Your video card has a DVI output, but not HDMI. As is common, the nVidea website says you can get HDMI from that DVI using an adapter. This works because the electrical signals for HDMI already are in the DVI output connector, so you just need the adapter to make the appropriate connections and change the connector type. Then you use a standard HDMI cable to connect to your TV. When you go shopping for the adapter, do NOT worry about audio from the DVI output for the HDMI cable. See next paragraph.

HDMI cables and systems include 2-channel (stereo) audio in them, but DVI outputs do NOT. ATI designed most of their cards to add audio on unassigned pins, so using one of their cards with the right adapter CAN get you audio on HDMI from a ATI DVI output. HOWEVER, nVidea never did this, and their website for your card confirms that. So there is NO way to get audio from your card into the HDMI cable, and that's why I said don't worry about that in choosing your adapter. Instead, you use a normal stereo audio cable with male 3.5mm connectors on both ends (tip/ring/sleeve contacts) to connect from your computer's audio output jack to the TV's input jack. At your computer, you would probably plug into the jack intended for the Front (L/R) speakers and set the audio output system to send out only stereo audio for a 2- speaker system.

Now here's where the connection to the TV needs a little clearing up. If your Samsung is anything like mine (I'm pretty sure it is) it will have several possible inputs like NTSC Composite Video, Component Video, and several HDMI inputs, along with some audio inputs. The best quality is the HDMI video system. You use a Source selection key on the menu and remote control to select among those available. In designing the TV, Samsung anticipated your situation (and many other people's). They have set up ONE of the HDMI input connectors (labeled as HDMI from a DVI source) to be specifically associated with ONE of the stereo audio input connectors. You use that set to connect your HDMI cable (from the DVI output and adapter at the computer) and the stereo audio patch cable from the computer's stereo audio output to provide both signals to one selectable Source on the TV. (By the way, the TV is smart enough that it only lets you choose a Source that is actually connected - you can't choose one until you do connect it.) Of course, when you do this you also set your computer's video output to 1920 x 1080 to get the high-quality 1080P signal your TV can handle.

All that gets you best video quality and stereo sound from your TV. The TV cannot do any better than stereo audio itself. However, if you plan to provide a separate 5.1 channel audio system you certainly can. The simple way, of course, is to connect the speakers to the computer's audio outputs and control all audio from there, just turning the TV's speakers down to nothing. But if you have a separate receiver / amp, you can send the computer's 5.1 channel audio out to it via the SPDIF output of the computer and corresponding amp input. If you also want the TV's audio to go through that system, the TV has a Digital Audio Output as an OPTICAL SPDIF signal you can connect to an external amp. Note, however, that you cannot route the computer's digital audio signal through the TV first. The TV does not have any way to input a Digital Audio multi-channel signal (it cannot do anything with it), so such a signal from your computer must go directly to the external amp. However, that TV does have that Digital Audio (optical) output for cases where you use the TV to tune in an HDTV cable or OTA signal that contains 5.1 channel audio.

Solution