Looking for a good reasonably priced upgrade to this card:

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127481&Tpk=R5570-MD1G

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to choosing hardware so I figured I'd come in here and ask you guys. You all do this kind of thing all the time so, what would be a good reasonably priced upgrade to that video card?

I'm running win 7 ultimate, 4GB of DDR2 800 corsair XMS ram on a gigabyte MA785GM-US2H Motherboards with an antec 550W power supply and an AMD Socket AM3 250 regor 3.0 GHZ CPU.

Thanks for the assistance.

4745454b

Titan
He already has a 5570, so staying with AMD shouldn't cause any driver issues. The 5770 uses less power. And he doesn't have the best of CPUs. I'm not sure if there would be an issues between his CPU and the GTX460, but I am sure if they exist they would be less with the 5770.

Uninstalling drivers is nothing I would put on a list of reasons to pick a one video card over another and a 550w Antec can easily handle a GTX 460 even fully overclocked. As for a possible CPU bottlenecking the two cards aren't so far apart in performance that I would say it should really be factor when deciding between the two. An OC of the processor is a good idea no matter which of the cards he ends up going with anyway.
I'm not saying the HD5770 isn't the right choice for him I'm just saying he should be deciding based on what he wants to spend and what performance level he desires. The way you stated it suggested he was going to have driver/power/cpu issues with the GTX 460 and that is simply incorrect for the first 2 and the last is a complex subject that depends on a lot of things and would apply to both though perhaps to a slightly different degree.

4745454b

Titan
The way you stated it suggested he was going to have driver/power/cpu issues

Not quite. I did list other better reasons first.

Totally agree with the above, but going to suggest the 5770. Can be found for ~$140, so its on the cheaper end of your budget. Should be good enough for 1680x1050, and no driver, power, or slower CPU issues. Just a good match for you.

I also said issues, not deal breakers. I probably should have said "possible issues". Of course the 550W PSU can power the GTX460. I never said it couldn't. When I say power I mean power draw. Meaning the GTX460 uses more power and will cost him more over the long haul. Not sure why your picking on this so much. Either choice is fine like I said, but if you can get what you want for $140 instead of $200 and save in your electric bill and not have to download new drivers then why not? Thats all I'm trying to say.

I understood what you were saying but you need to remember that the people asking questions here don't have the knowledge to fill in the blanks like I do. When someone is deciding between two cards and you list "no driver, power, or slower CPU issues" as an advantage for one of the two it is likely to be taken as meaning that the other WILL have issues related to such.