Great read/write speeds but slow boot??

dj3ntz

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Hey all,

I have a Samsung 830 128gb internal SSD installed in my laptop which I've installed Windows 7 on. Adittionally I have a 500GB Segate Momentus XT hybrid drive which I'm using as a storage drive.

I've benchmarked my SSD using the Samsung Magician Software that came with the 830, and scored at:
- just over 500mbs for Sequential Read
- 300 mbs sequential write
- 60000 IOPS random read
- around 13000? random write

To my knowledge, these are pretty fast speeds, as most "help my SSD is slow" posts have times of 200mbs less for read/write speeds.

My question is, why is my Windows 7 boot so slow? I see posts saying that with an SSD they don't even get the windows dots/intro animation, and go straight to login, yet my computer plays out the full animation each time, and the boot speed/responsivness of initial windows log on is hardly better than it was when I used the Momentus XT as the OS drive.

I checked in console and I do have TRIM enabled.
BIOS says that the SATA drive mode is set to AHCI (as it was when I installed the OS, and BIOS has always been set to AHCI before I even installed the SSD).

This is my second clean install with the SSD. The first time I installed the Intel SRT driver that came on my manufacturer's driver disk without knowing that it was really only for RAID (or is it) right in the beginning after the clean install, and the OS booted faster than it is now (now Windows logo - would go through on spinning dots).

Now however it plays the full animation as I said. I re-installed ISRT to see if it would make a difference, but I can't notice any.

I appreciate the help, thanks for reading!