Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Moving games from Win XP pc to External HD, to new PC with Windows 7

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2012 7:50:58 PM

Hey, I just ordered a bunch of parts and am going to build myself a new computer. I'm planning on moving all my games (and my Adobe programs) to an external hard drive so I can then move it to the new computer once it's running. The original PC is running XP. I'm assuming this would cause a bunch of problems due to file locations/registry, but I'm still going to ask...Can this be done?

Best solution

a c 79 G Storage
December 29, 2012 8:04:50 PM

In a word - No. You must re-install your games and apps once your new PC is up and running.

Oh, and almost forgot - welcome to the forum!
December 29, 2012 8:09:46 PM

I didnt think so. Was hoping there might be some super secret solution I wasnt aware of haha...

Oh well. Double thanks!
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2012 9:01:30 PM

PC Laplink, or reinstall.
m
l
December 29, 2012 9:34:53 PM

There was a product called uninstaller that would do that, back up reg settings etc.., but it worked best if it tracked the install first. Win95-8 days.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 29, 2012 9:52:55 PM

rwinches said:
There was a product called uninstaller that would do that, back up reg settings etc.., but it worked best if it tracked the install first. Win95-8 days.

ya... that dosn't work so well with newer versions of Windows, and winXP and win7 are entirely different monsters, there is no way that would work.
m
l
a c 327 G Storage
October 11, 2013 12:55:00 AM

All you people who say it is possible, you are misleading the OP. My reply is still stands.
m
l
!