Solved

Moving games from Win XP pc to External HD, to new PC with Windows 7

Hey, I just ordered a bunch of parts and am going to build myself a new computer. I'm planning on moving all my games (and my Adobe programs) to an external hard drive so I can then move it to the new computer once it's running. The original PC is running XP. I'm assuming this would cause a bunch of problems due to file locations/registry, but I'm still going to ask...Can this be done?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about moving games external windows
  1. Best answer
    In a word - No. You must re-install your games and apps once your new PC is up and running.

Oh, and almost forgot - welcome to the forum!
  2. I didnt think so. Was hoping there might be some super secret solution I wasnt aware of haha...

Oh well. Double thanks!
  3. PC Laplink, or reinstall.
  4. There was a product called uninstaller that would do that, back up reg settings etc.., but it worked best if it tracked the install first. Win95-8 days.
  5. rwinches said:
    There was a product called uninstaller that would do that, back up reg settings etc.., but it worked best if it tracked the install first. Win95-8 days.

ya... that dosn't work so well with newer versions of Windows, and winXP and win7 are entirely different monsters, there is no way that would work.
  6. All you people who say it is possible, you are misleading the OP. My reply is still stands.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computer Games Windows XP Storage