Newbie question here, from a first-time builder. Please help!

opt1x

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I am currently in the process of buying all my hardware to build a new PC, and I was wondering what is the bare minimum of hardware that I need to make sure my mobo/processor is all working..

Obviously I need a processor, motherboard (heatsink as well), and power supply connected, but do I need RAM and a GPU installed as well in order to test? I just want to make sure the motherboard is running correctly, and that it's recognizing the processor, before I buy anymore components.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Solution
You definitely need at least one stick of RAM. Most mobo's have onboard GPU's: easiest way to check is see if there is a VGA/DVI port on your motherboard. If there is, you have an onboard GPU. You don't need a HDD for your mobo to boot. You should see your screen power up with the BIOS text, although it won't boot anything after that.

NeoElemental

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
You definitely need at least one stick of RAM. Most mobo's have onboard GPU's: easiest way to check is see if there is a VGA/DVI port on your motherboard. If there is, you have an onboard GPU. You don't need a HDD for your mobo to boot. You should see your screen power up with the BIOS text, although it won't boot anything after that.

Solution