Sign in with
Your question

New hard drive only sometimes detected

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2012 8:18:35 PM

I recently bought a new hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 2tb) and I'm having trouble with it. My computer is an old one my brother gave to me (AMD Athlon 64, NVidia GeForce 8500 gt, 4 gb ram) The reason I bought the new hard drive was because I had filled up the original one (80gb, not sure of brand) When I first connected the hard drive it showed up in windows explorer, I reset my computer and it disappeared, it wouldn't show up in the BIOS either. I found a temporary solution, if it is not showing up I turn off my computer unplug the hard drive then plug it back in, if I turn it on the hard drive shows up and works normally until I turn my computer off. Any help will be very appreciated! :) 

More about : hard drive detected

March 16, 2013 7:44:07 AM

jackbonjour said:
I recently bought a new hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 2tb) and I'm having trouble with it. My computer is an old one my brother gave to me (AMD Athlon 64, NVidia GeForce 8500 gt, 4 gb ram) The reason I bought the new hard drive was because I had filled up the original one (80gb, not sure of brand) When I first connected the hard drive it showed up in windows explorer, I reset my computer and it disappeared, it wouldn't show up in the BIOS either. I found a temporary solution, if it is not showing up I turn off my computer unplug the hard drive then plug it back in, if I turn it on the hard drive shows up and works normally until I turn my computer off. Any help will be very appreciated! :) 

Hi I have the exact same problem. I recently built a gameing pc. For my primary hard drive i have samsung SSD and my secondary is TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda. The ssd is running windows 8. The problem is if i turn my pc on windows dos not find the seagate hard drive but my bios does. My first solution was exactly like yours just plug out and in the hard drive but i found a better solution is to before i turn my pc on I plug out all USBs like my keyboard etc and it will boot and windows will pick up on the second hard drive no problem and i just plug my USBs back in. But i would really love a full solution. Its been a while since your post have u solved this issue? I really want a solution
m
l
!