USB 2.0 speed variations during transfer

dcvrtila

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hi, My 32GB USB Flash key transfer rates vary a lot

When I am transferring something to it, in first 10% of transfer, speed (currently under Windows 8 Pro) is approx. 10-12 MB/s.
Then after it drops fast to some 5-7 MB/s and stay like this until transfer is done!
Is there anything I can do? Meaning to keep higher transfer rate?

It depends where the files (and parts of a file) actually are on the hard drive platters that you are copying them from. If some of the files are spread all over the platter, the hard drive's read/write heads have to travel back and forth looking for those files, and that slows down the transfer time. Additionally, transferring a lot of small files will reduce the transfer rate compared to transferring one large file.

So the problem is actually caused by the data fragmentation on the hard drive, it's not a problem with the USB drive. Defragment your hard drive and you should see an improvement, and then consider installing a defragmenting tool that can be set to run automatically in the background, such as "Smart Defrag":
http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

dcvrtila

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for your answer but I think not!
Regardless of what I am copying, one largefile of 7GB or ton of small ones same behaviour I see.
First part ofcopying process is fairly fast, then transfer speed drops and stays almost constant until it ends.I would bet on some cache issue or cache buffer that emties itself fast and then "real" speed of USB key memory chips is shown ...

Damir

TRENDING THREADS