Sign in with
Your question

I5 or i7 on a laptop?

Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2010 6:10:26 PM

Hello,
I am going to buy a laptop in the near future (2-3 weeks) and I wonder which CPU would be best. The laptop will be used for everyday use and also gaming. Will there be any big difference in gaming between the 2 CPU-s, and is the i7 really worth it. I don't do video editing and AutoCad and so the hardest thing for the machine to deal with will be some new game. I have chosen a Dell model with a 5650 ATI 1 GB , 4 GB 1333 RAM and don't know witch core to choose. Please help because i have been stuck with this dilemma for a long time.

More about : laptop

a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 6:18:48 PM

I'm in the market for a new lappy myself, but I plan to wait 4 weeks until the Sandy Bridge lappys get reviewed.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 10:21:14 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
I'm in the market for a new lappy myself, but I plan to wait 4 weeks until the Sandy Bridge lappys get reviewed.

I agree wait for the new Sandybridge laptops.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 244 D Laptop
December 14, 2010 8:17:49 AM

In gaming,you won't see much of a difference between them,so go with i5.
But as posters above suggested,you better wait a little more for SB lapotps
December 14, 2010 11:00:59 AM

But won't this new technology be very expensive. I read a couple of reviews and by the looks of it sandy bridge will be more useful for those working with video rendering. Would it be worth it for just gaming experience?
a b à CPUs
a c 244 D Laptop
December 14, 2010 11:20:21 AM

Gaming depends on the VGA.Hopefully, when SB is out,AMD has released HD 6xxx mobile series and Nvidia has GTX 5xx series for laptops.
But,if you need a laptop right now,then buy it.
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2010 2:46:27 PM

I dunno what the mobile versions of SB will go for, but Intel is IMHO being pretty reasonable with the desktop versions - supposedly only $317 for the highest-end 2600K version, which has HT, unlocked multi, etc.

What I'm interested in, is the onboard GPU for ordinary use (web browsing, etc). Should save considerably on battery life. But I plan to get one with a discrete GPU as well, since I also plan to game on the laptop.

FYI, Intel officially announces Sandy Bridge on Jan. 5th, at CES, so there will be a boatload of reviews out that day.
!