Stiff cpu lever and cracking sound while applying pressure O.o?

alan_carter

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Hey i was installing my Q9550 on a cheap Asus Socket 775 (best i could find)
when i heard like a metal crack/scratch noise while i was applyin pressure to the lever.

It was totally aligned, and it was really stiff and hard to pull down, i've mounted lots of cpus on other mobos and the lever just lifted down so naturally, u felt the pressure u were applyin, but it was gentle.

This time at first i was kinda unsure because i was doing decent pressure n it seemed like if i had to apply more force, so i pulled back and the cpu was ejected to the other end of the cpu socket... and happened twice lol, well i think my boy is strong enough to afford that aha.
Well at third attemp, i harshly applied all the force i could to pull the lever down and lock it, and when the lever was at the middle i heard like a crack, or scratching noise, n not sure if i busted one of the mobo pins or damaged the cpu. I don't care if i destroyed the mobo pins aslong as my cpu is alright. In the best case, it was a scratching from the plate that holds the cpu.

Can't say if it boots cos my psu has an 8pin cpu power connector and this cpu has a 4pin one. I'll get an adapter tomorrow, and by the way, having an adapter, will affect the performance or overclocking capabilities?

Thanks

EDIT: Regarding testctv post i add that i've also noticed some scratch marks, on both sides of the cpu, so i'd be vry grateful to Asus if finally it fkd my cpu as i expect they won't give me any kind of refund. Well thankfully i purchased this board on a local store so return and assistance won't be a problem.

Any one I've installed took force, that's normal.

I have heard cheap board make a cracking sound, but it was ok.

Even newer psu's have a 4+4 connector so you can use it as 4 or 8pin cpu power, never seen one that only has a 8pin.

alan_carter

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks for replying, if cracking on cheap mobos is normal now i hope that it survived to those ejections while closing lever attemps ahah

Well about 4+4 pins, i've seen many and they just split but doesn't seem very safe as the other 4pins part is hangin there, and also my 8pin connector doesn't seem to split in two, so it's not 4+4, best thing will be to find an adapter.
I've been asking around several local hardware stores and they said that they've never seen 8pin lol.
In the store where i purchased the mobo they said that the tech is coming tomorrow so will ask him.

Thanks