ATI HDMI Output - "Not plugged in"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinderaker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my desktop computer. My XFX ATI Radeon HD5970 *Black Edition* brings me sweet graphics and earlier even audio through the HDMI cable and up to my BenQ E2400HD.

So as you already guessed my problem is the sound. Earlier after Windows re-install I install newest CCC including drivers for my card. and "BenQ - Display - BenQ E2400HD (HDMI)" from Windows Update and everything works fine. But not this time.

In Windows -> Sound -> Playback Devices "ATI HDMI Output" shows as "Not plugged in". Weird, cause I use that BenQ to see what I am writing right now.

Only thing different with this re-install from my other re-installs is the CCC version. The Windows DVD and the BenQ drivers from Windows Update is the same. From Google - "Downgrading to an earlier CCC version will not fix your problem".

This is what I've tried allready:

Google - Thousands of thousands have had this problem before, as early as 2008 until today. But haven't found anything about how to fix it.

Re-install CCC

Looking for other BenQ drivers (none found so far, only ones you can find is through Windows Update).

Re-install Windows

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips or even solutions you might bring to the table.

ClabaG

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

How did you solve it? I've spent three days trying to re-install my HTPC after a disk crash, but cant get this to work with later versions of CCC and drivers.

On my AH3650 (AGP) it works with with the ASUS drivers supplied on the CD, but not with later ATI ones (patched for AGP). So I thought I'd try a 3450 PCI-e on another MoBo I had, but the same fenomena - No HDMI audio with later versions of the drivers. Frustrating... :(

Any help would be much appreciated.

ClabaG

ClabaG

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

I do use an ATI supplied (or rather ASUS supplied) DVI to HDMI adapter. And, as I said, it works fine using the ASUS supplied drivers (8.562 or something like that). But they're like 2 years old (10.7 is the latest), and I get some picture problems (decoding artefacts and stuff) that I don't get with the newer drivers. Only, with the newer drivers I don't get HDMI sound... Aaarrggghhh :mad:

As someone said in another (or was it this, I'm getting forum-blindness).. There seems to be thousands of users having this problem - someone must have an answer... PLEASE!!!

Btw. Thanks for your quick reply.

SupermanX5

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I had a issue like this with my 5770. What I did to fix it was download the latest version of the Realtek Drivers (realtek is what the ati 5700 series uses, not sure about the other ati cards though). On the realtek site, there is an option for ATI cards drivers, download and install that and it should work.

Here is a link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Click on high definition audio codecs. Then download the ATI HDMI Audio Device.

leon2006

Distinguished
I had this issue before with my 4890. It was fixed when i use ATI provided DVI/HDMI converter. I tried third party DVI/HDMI converter and nothing works. I use Belkin, BFG(from my nvidia card), and other brands. The only thing that works is the DVI/HDMI converter from ATI.

If your video card is from XFX... Call XFX tech support/customer service and ask them to send you the DVI/HDMI converter. The item is free and you don't need to pay for it. The GPU board makers are to provide this fixture for free.

I requested 2 from DiamondMM and they sent me 2. On one of my 4890 setup i run 2 HDMI connection to 2 HDMI-base display.

I always use the driver from ATI/AMD site. My DVI/HDMI converter have ATI/AMD logo on it. It is colored white.

leon2006

Distinguished
The audio driver is included on the GPU driver from ATI/AMD site. Conflict arises if your motherboard has built in sound chip from realtek. If you don't no need to get a driver from realtek.

Get the correct DVI/HDMI connector from ATI/AMD. Don't use a different brand and it will fix your problem.

leon2006

Distinguished
Also try not to install the display driver. See if it makes a difference. GPU driver normally dectects your monitor automatically.

I don't use display driver. Once connected through HDMI or DVI the GPU card should detect the display and audio option of BenQ.

Just try it

hinderaker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

After a random reboot it just worked. So I can't really help you. I went so far that I re-installed Windows, CCC and all updates from Windows Update. It didn't seem to work so I posted this post originally but after a couple of reboots I had sound through my monitor and the mini jack on my monitor :)

NeilR

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I had this same problem, my video worked but audio didn't, and I was at a loss as to what I did. I hadn't done a reinstall or anything. Then I remembered that the previous day I had been in the BIOS, and changed the primary graphics adapter from PCI to PCI-e. So I went into the BIOS and changed it back, and it worked fine, I'm listening to music from my HDMI output as I type. I'm not using any adapters, my HDMI output goes straight to my TVs HDMI input, so I don't know if this will work for those of you using adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS