Sign in with
Your question

Secondary PC for Temporary use then Portability/HTPC(?)

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2010 6:24:31 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within 1 Month

Budget Range: $1 - $1000 (Would like to say as cheap as possible while fulfilling criteria)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming....

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor (Possibly a video card as well)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com for pricing is fine

Country of Origin: Canada, but buying in the states (see: additional comments)

Parts Preferences: Maybe mini ITX form factor?

Overclocking: I would like to

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

Additional Comments: Basically I'm going to be in the states for about 2-3 months, and I don't have the ability to bring my desktop. Therefore, I would like a computer that will handle the games I like to play, in which the most intensive is probably BF: BC2. I can borrow a friends keyboard, mouse and monitor (in the states) so I do not need to purchase those, but I am then limited to 1280x1024 resolution. :(  I have some delusions of trying to make this computer very compact so that I can bring it back up to Canada and use as a secondary computer, or HTPC. I am OK with buying it in either the US or Canada but to transport it to the US it would have to be about the same volume as a very large laptop bag. I also have a 4890 video card just laying around so if I can make use of that, all the better.

More Info for Intrepid Readers: I have some vague ideas on maybe what to get, but I always find myself drifting towards getting stuff that will max out games at 1920x1200 and neglecting the fact that I have a limited budget. Also, I have built a few computers so I'm not worried about taking on strange form factors, but I have not overclocked any CPU. Any additional help/info anyone can provide is welcome!
September 20, 2010 7:27:45 PM

1) I won't be flying, will be driving, but the car is old and very small and I need room for other things... so if possible then yes in terms of size, though not actually carrying this in carry on luggage so weight isnt an issue

2) Lets assume not, as this is more of a discussion for best possible options as I do not have a fully outlined strict purpose

3) There is one according to the micro center website that is within a reasonable driving distance, so yes
September 20, 2010 9:46:06 PM

Here is a an i7-870 gaming configuration, including shipping and after rebates. (Taxes are extra)

Processor: Core i7 870 Processor for $230 from Micro Center

Motherboard: ASRock H55M Pro LGA 1156 or $90 from Newegg

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB for $80 from Newegg after rebate. Check this stuff out, it has excellent cal of 8 and voltage of 1.35.

Graphics: If building from scratch, this would call for a GTX 460. Since there is a spare 4890 floating around, then that’ll do. Can you find another one? The board will handle crossfire, so if you want to max out the settings, then that should come close. Here, take a look: THG Graphics Chart for Battlefield Bad Company 2, 1920x1200, 4AA, 8AF, High Quality, DX10.

HDD: Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB for $60 from Micro Center

Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK 120mm Fan MicroATX Mid Tower
Combo including case and OS for $130 from Newegg

Power Supply: ModXStream Pro 700W for $57 after rebate from Micro Center. This PSU should be able to handle an additional HD 4890 in CF.

Heatsink: COOLER MASTER GeminII S for $47 from Newegg. Low profile (88 mm) to fit in a downsized case.

Optical: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R for $20 from Newegg.

Total: US$ 714, $347 is subject to sales tax. You could save an additional $60 if you went with an i5-760. You could purchase another HD 4890 and still stay under total budget.
!