Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD and HDD help please!!

Last response: in Storage
December 29, 2012 10:44:32 PM

So I have a HDD with my OS, games, etc. on it at the moment and I want to get an SSD and put my OS and a couple games on it instead of my HDD. I need to know how to take my OS off my HDD and put it on my HDD without losing everything else and I also would like some suggestions on which SSD under $100 would be the best. Any questions just ask, thanks!

More about : ssd hdd

a c 748 G Storage
December 29, 2012 10:58:21 PM

uninstall games and programs until the space used on your hdd will fit on your SSD then when you buy your ssd, get one that includes a transfer kit and then you can move whats on the hdd to the ssd easily. Then all you need to do is reinstall the rest of what you want.

The best way is a complete reinstall of windows with just the SSD. Then add in the hard drive and install your apps and programs.
December 29, 2012 11:11:22 PM

I can highly recommend the Intel SSD as I have recently bought one (120gb Intel 330 series for £76) and the Intel Data Migration tool is superb. I have Windows 7 64bit on my machine and was installed from scratch on my old HDD. I used the data migration tool (download from the Intel website) and it took well under an hour, copied everything accross and the partitions are correctly aligned and everything. Then just install the Intel SSD toolbox after (I had some trouble with this but my machine is basically ancient) and this will then set your machine up to work correctly with the SSD.

So basically easy as pie, seriously fast performance after and so far I can only say good things about it. I've read lots of reviews that say that although the specs of the Intel don't match up to the others on paper the real world performance and reliability more than make up for it.
Related resources
December 29, 2012 11:20:24 PM

Poprin said:
I can highly recommend the Intel SSD as I have recently bought one (120gb Intel 330 series for £76) and the Intel Data Migration tool is superb. I have Windows 7 64bit on my machine and was installed from scratch on my old HDD. I used the data migration tool (download from the Intel website) and it took well under an hour, copied everything accross and the partitions are correctly aligned and everything. Then just install the Intel SSD toolbox after (I had some trouble with this but my machine is basically ancient) and this will then set your machine up to work correctly with the SSD.

So basically easy as pie, seriously fast performance after and so far I can only say good things about it. I've read lots of reviews that say that although the specs of the Intel don't match up to the others on paper the real world performance and reliability more than make up for it.

I don't want to move everything I have on my HDD to my SSD, I just want to take Win7 off my HDD and do a clean install of it on my SSD and then I will reinstall whatever games I want on my SSD. How do I take Win7 off my HDD without deleting everything? Thank you for the suggestion too.
December 29, 2012 11:47:02 PM

Please help, how do I just delete win7 off my HDD and put it on my SSD without deleting everything else off my HDD??
December 30, 2012 12:32:30 AM

someone please help!!
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 12:50:56 AM

Patience!!!!

If you spent half the time you have waited here.. googling it.. you would have learnt by now...
But no.. its easier to nag for a reply and let others do the work!!!

For simpletons....
Take out old hard drive....
Add new SSD
Do clean install of Windows on SSD
Add back old HDD
It should boot to new SSD when you start...
Destroy old windows to be sure (e.g. delete the "windows" directory on old HDD)

Benefits = you have a clean install of windows.
Downside = you will need know how to reinstall/transfer your old progs...you dont sound like you know what you doing.. so good luck with that

HTH
Cheers
December 30, 2012 12:56:41 AM

I know what I'm doing but I googled it and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I will have to reinstall all my mobo drivers and other programs just like I had too when I first built my system with just the HDD correct? And can I use the same copy/product key of my win7 to install it on my SSD that I did on my HDD or will I have to buy another copy?

Best solution

a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 1:09:18 AM

Changing HD does not change the computer.. so even if your win copy is OEM.. it will still work/be valid.

Yes.. if the Win DVD does not have drivers... you will need download seperately.. but DVD will prob have what you need to get going.
Assuming main Mobo drivers are avail so Win starts... main one is Network card.. make sure thats avail so you can get windows update going ASAP which will prob have avail the majority of any other drivers you may be missing.

HTH
Cheers
December 30, 2012 1:15:05 AM

Okay thank you that is the answer I was looking for!
December 30, 2012 1:15:11 AM

Best answer selected by jordannn15.
!