I've just turned my notebook on this morning and a screen came up
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
It then tells me that I can fix the problem using the original Setup CD-ROM...
The problem is, in the last couple of years that I've had it we've moved
twice and are about to move again and I can't find it anywhere! And, I need
the computer for work.
Is there any way I can do this without the CD?

Hi

You could try here for a replacement XP CD, if it was a Retail one:

"How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware"
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;3262­46

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User