System32 missing or corrupt!

I've just turned my notebook on this morning and a screen came up
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
It then tells me that I can fix the problem using the original Setup CD-ROM...
The problem is, in the last couple of years that I've had it we've moved
twice and are about to move again and I can't find it anywhere! And, I need
the computer for work.
Is there any way I can do this without the CD?
1 answer Last reply
More about system32 missing corrupt

    Hi

    You could try here for a replacement XP CD, if it was a Retail one:

    "How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware"
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;3262­46

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "SteveP" <SteveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've just turned my notebook on this morning and a screen came up
    > "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    > \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
    > It then tells me that I can fix the problem using the original Setup
    > CD-ROM...
    > The problem is, in the last couple of years that I've had it we've moved
    > twice and are about to move again and I can't find it anywhere! And, I
    > need
    > the computer for work.
    > Is there any way I can do this without the CD?

Configuration System32 Windows XP