Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build using Phenom II x2 555

Last response: in Systems
September 20, 2010 7:11:31 PM

This is a second part of a new build question the first was solved and thanks to all that replied you guys are the best. Well here is the question I have a Phenom 555 Black and I am thinking of using this mother board GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P here is the Newegg would like to know if anyone would foresee any problems with this. Also should I get a board that also supports DDR3 in case in the future I want to up grade if so please direct me in the path of a suggested board. Any and all replies would be very useful to me. Below are all the other parts that I have to put into it. (I know that the video card is not that great that is next to be upgraded) I have about $110.00 to put towards a board. I game but not to heavy most of what I do is video editing and converting, AutoCAD, watch movies and surf I like to do this stuff at the same time so I do put the processor through it's paces.

Windows 7 Home Premium

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P (going to order)

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black

4 sticks of Corsair XMS2 Xtreme 1 GB DDR2

1 WD Caviar Green 500 GB

1 WD Caviar Blue 640 GB

Coolmax CU-600B Power supply - 600 Watt

Rocketfish universal CPU cooler

nVidia GeForce GT220 1 GB DDR2 (soon to be upgraded in about 3 months)

SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L

PLEXTOR 22X CD/DVD Burner

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming

More about : build phenom 555

Best solution

September 20, 2010 7:30:09 PM

The board you linked to seems solid enough. It supports DDR2 memory but not DDR3 memory. DDR3 and the AM3 socket would be the wise solution long-term but you would have to shell out for new DDR3 memory now unless you can find a board that supports both DDR3 and DDR2. The only issue with this is that I *think* the only boards that support both DDR2/DDR3 are AM2+ which means you're likely to be limited with regards to processor upgrades in the future (Bulldozer etc). If you can afford it, I would grab an AM3 board and some DDR3 memory but have a look around beforehand and see if anyone else has anything to add here. Good luck!
September 20, 2010 9:50:34 PM

moody89 said:
The board you linked to seems solid enough. It supports DDR2 memory but not DDR3 memory. DDR3 and the AM3 socket would be the wise solution long-term but you would have to shell out for new DDR3 memory now unless you can find a board that supports both DDR3 and DDR2. The only issue with this is that I *think* the only boards that support both DDR2/DDR3 are AM2+ which means you're likely to be limited with regards to processor upgrades in the future (Bulldozer etc). If you can afford it, I would grab an AM3 board and some DDR3 memory but have a look around beforehand and see if anyone else has anything to add here. Good luck!

Thanks. That is what I figured. Do you know of any boards that support DDR2 and DDR3 I am having a hard time finding one
Related resources
September 20, 2010 10:04:58 PM

petevan1970 said:
Thanks. That is what I figured. Do you know of any boards that support DDR2 and DDR3 I am having a hard time finding one

I dont think its possible for a board to be compatible with both ddr2 and ddr3. Just spend the few extra bucks on the ddr3 its much faster and worth it.
September 21, 2010 3:45:20 AM

you will not find a board that supports both DDR2 and DDR3 .

If you already have the RAM then the board you have selected will work well .

I dont think your choice of processor is a good one though for your usage. You would be better off with an athlon x4 or x4 which will be faster encoding that an X2 phenom .
Have a look in the CPU charts in the charts tab of this website
September 21, 2010 10:06:45 PM

Outlander_04 said:
you will not find a board that supports both DDR2 and DDR3 .

If you already have the RAM then the board you have selected will work well .

I dont think your choice of processor is a good one though for your usage. You would be better off with an athlon x4 or x4 which will be faster encoding that an X2 phenom .
Have a look in the CPU charts in the charts tab of this website

Ok thanks I already have the processor it was given to me as a gift.
October 2, 2010 12:36:19 AM

Best answer selected by petevan1970.
!