Solved

New build using Phenom II x2 555

This is a second part of a new build question the first was solved and thanks to all that replied you guys are the best. Well here is the question I have a Phenom 555 Black and I am thinking of using this mother board GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P here is the Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Motherboards+-+AMD-_-MSI-_-13130265 would like to know if anyone would foresee any problems with this. Also should I get a board that also supports DDR3 in case in the future I want to up grade if so please direct me in the path of a suggested board. Any and all replies would be very useful to me. Below are all the other parts that I have to put into it. (I know that the video card is not that great that is next to be upgraded) I have about $110.00 to put towards a board. I game but not to heavy most of what I do is video editing and converting, AutoCAD, watch movies and surf I like to do this stuff at the same time so I do put the processor through it's paces.

Windows 7 Home Premium

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P (going to order)

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black

4 sticks of Corsair XMS2 Xtreme 1 GB DDR2

1 WD Caviar Green 500 GB

1 WD Caviar Blue 640 GB

Coolmax CU-600B Power supply - 600 Watt

Rocketfish universal CPU cooler http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish%26%23153%3B+-+Universal+CPU+Cooler/9462609.p?id=1218108988702&skuId=9462609

nVidia GeForce GT220 1 GB DDR2 (soon to be upgraded in about 3 months)

SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L

PLEXTOR 22X CD/DVD Burner

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build phenom
  1. Best answer
    The board you linked to seems solid enough. It supports DDR2 memory but not DDR3 memory. DDR3 and the AM3 socket would be the wise solution long-term but you would have to shell out for new DDR3 memory now unless you can find a board that supports both DDR3 and DDR2. The only issue with this is that I *think* the only boards that support both DDR2/DDR3 are AM2+ which means you're likely to be limited with regards to processor upgrades in the future (Bulldozer etc). If you can afford it, I would grab an AM3 board and some DDR3 memory but have a look around beforehand and see if anyone else has anything to add here. Good luck!
  2. moody89 said:
    The board you linked to seems solid enough. It supports DDR2 memory but not DDR3 memory. DDR3 and the AM3 socket would be the wise solution long-term but you would have to shell out for new DDR3 memory now unless you can find a board that supports both DDR3 and DDR2. The only issue with this is that I *think* the only boards that support both DDR2/DDR3 are AM2+ which means you're likely to be limited with regards to processor upgrades in the future (Bulldozer etc). If you can afford it, I would grab an AM3 board and some DDR3 memory but have a look around beforehand and see if anyone else has anything to add here. Good luck!

Thanks. That is what I figured. Do you know of any boards that support DDR2 and DDR3 I am having a hard time finding one
  3. petevan1970 said:
    Thanks. That is what I figured. Do you know of any boards that support DDR2 and DDR3 I am having a hard time finding one

I dont think its possible for a board to be compatible with both ddr2 and ddr3. Just spend the few extra bucks on the ddr3 its much faster and worth it.
  4. you will not find a board that supports both DDR2 and DDR3 .

If you already have the RAM then the board you have selected will work well .

I dont think your choice of processor is a good one though for your usage. You would be better off with an athlon x4 or x4 which will be faster encoding that an X2 phenom .
    Have a look in the CPU charts in the charts tab of this website
  5. Outlander_04 said:
    you will not find a board that supports both DDR2 and DDR3 .

If you already have the RAM then the board you have selected will work well .

I dont think your choice of processor is a good one though for your usage. You would be better off with an athlon x4 or x4 which will be faster encoding that an X2 phenom .
    Have a look in the CPU charts in the charts tab of this website

Ok thanks I already have the processor it was given to me as a gift.
  6. Best answer selected by petevan1970.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build New Build Phenom Systems Product