Sign in with
Your question

File server buld advice

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2012 12:36:39 AM

Hello everyone,

I am looking to build a file server for a new business. This is my second go around for a new business. I sold the first five years ago and am now going at it again.

The file server will serve myself at first but hopefully a small office of five to seven within a year or two. I have been peeking around the internet and have come up with the following proposal for the build. I want to take advantage of older hardware and Linux. Any help from the contributors of this fine web page and associated forum is greatly appreciated. I am thinking that the box is kind of overkill but at the price, I think the value is acceptable. I think I can get more for my money.

I have a very old but nice server box which I have stripped of the motherboard. It has six external hot swappable slots and five internal bays. I plan to use an old 100 gig or so hard drive for the operating system that I have laying around. I have an old 17" dell monitor and pulled a keyboard and mouse out of my pile of junk.

I will use four new 1 terabyte drives in a Rad 10 configuration utilizing the Linux raid for the storage array. I plan on using Ubunto server simply because I have a workstation set up and kind of know my way around. I also set up a home server a year and a half go with an old P4 and was totally amazed at how well it runs for dishing out photo files I will be using samba file server for my windows clients.

I am thinking of an older Intel Xeon E5400 series processor and a dual socket 771 motherboard. I think I am going for a super micro board. I will purchase two processors. I am hoping that with the age of the equipment, Linux will have all the bugs worked out of the OS and the motherboard and other stuff will work well.

I hope to also use the server as a file server for an older cannon Pixima Pro 9500 Mark II that is USB only.

I am able to get the 1 motherboard, 5 drives, 2 processors, 2 heat sinks, and a new 750 watt power supply for around $575
I am not going for hardware raid because I want the universality of OS supported software raid. I figure that if a card crashes in the future I would have to match the card to recover but the Linux software raid is universal.

This build should cost me around $575 but should leave me with a strong file server for my small office that should last at least three years.

Please ponder the following questions.
The reason I am going for a dual processor is the thought that with software raid I will need extra capacity for the raid. Is this correct? Am I thinking right? Is it a good concept for substituting software raid for hardware raid? I suppose one processor is good enough but at the price of the older equipment another processor just seems like a good idea.

Am I in the right ballpark on the value of the older equipment?
How reliable are old used chips? I am actually purchasing a used chips from a local person or new chips in the box. I have not decided. At the end of the day is not a processor hard to break? Assuming of course you have not messed up the pins.
Is the processor series and the motherboard good values at this time? December 2012.
Can I place the OS on a different disk? Here I show my ignorance but at least I am willing to struggle through things (learn), I can’t see why I could not place the OS on a separate physical disk. I think it is a good idea. Don’t know why except that you are separating the os from the files. I just kind of like that thought.
If the OS crashes can I just stick the drives on a fresh recovered os drive and still have the data. This is kind of a stupid sure can answer but just in case I ask it here for the experts.
I should have a new unit here that should last for years. Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?Thank in advance for any input.
December 30, 2012 12:52:31 AM

ejrobau said:
Hello everyone,

I am looking to build a file server for a new business. This is my second go around for a new business. I sold the first five years ago and am now going at it again.

The file server will serve myself at first but hopefully a small office of five to seven within a year or two. I have been peeking around the internet and have come up with the following proposal for the build. I want to take advantage of older hardware and Linux. Any help from the contributors of this fine web page and associated forum is greatly appreciated. I am thinking that the box is kind of overkill but at the price, I think the value is acceptable. I think I can get more for my money.

I have a very old but nice server box which I have stripped of the motherboard. It has six external hot swappable slots and five internal bays. I plan to use an old 100 gig or so hard drive for the operating system that I have laying around. I have an old 17" dell monitor and pulled a keyboard and mouse out of my pile of junk.

I will use four new 1 terabyte drives in a Rad 10 configuration utilizing the Linux raid for the storage array. I plan on using Ubunto server simply because I have a workstation set up and kind of know my way around. I also set up a home server a year and a half go with an old P4 and was totally amazed at how well it runs for dishing out photo files I will be using samba file server for my windows clients.

I am thinking of an older Intel Xeon E5400 series processor and a dual socket 771 motherboard. I think I am going for a super micro board. I will purchase two processors. I am hoping that with the age of the equipment, Linux will have all the bugs worked out of the OS and the motherboard and other stuff will work well.

I hope to also use the server as a file server for an older cannon Pixima Pro 9500 Mark II that is USB only.

I am able to get the 1 motherboard, 5 drives, 2 processors, 2 heat sinks, and a new 750 watt power supply for around $575
I am not going for hardware raid because I want the universality of OS supported software raid. I figure that if a card crashes in the future I would have to match the card to recover but the Linux software raid is universal.

This build should cost me around $575 but should leave me with a strong file server for my small office that should last at least three years.

Please ponder the following questions.
The reason I am going for a dual processor is the thought that with software raid I will need extra capacity for the raid. Is this correct? Am I thinking right? Is it a good concept for substituting software raid for hardware raid? I suppose one processor is good enough but at the price of the older equipment another processor just seems like a good idea.

Am I in the right ballpark on the value of the older equipment?
How reliable are old used chips? I am actually purchasing a used chips from a local person or new chips in the box. I have not decided. At the end of the day is not a processor hard to break? Assuming of course you have not messed up the pins.
Is the processor series and the motherboard good values at this time? December 2012.
Can I place the OS on a different disk? Here I show my ignorance but at least I am willing to struggle through things (learn), I can’t see why I could not place the OS on a separate physical disk. I think it is a good idea. Don’t know why except that you are separating the os from the files. I just kind of like that thought.
If the OS crashes can I just stick the drives on a fresh recovered os drive and still have the data. This is kind of a stupid sure can answer but just in case I ask it here for the experts.
I should have a new unit here that should last for years. Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?Thank in advance for any input.

PS I forgot the memory. $100 for 4 gigs. Build is now at $675.
m
l
!