Mouse cursor distorted / corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasmaau

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hi everyone,

In response to http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277133-33-mouse-pointer-cursor-distorted#t2082223

I am still experiencing this issue, whereby the mouse cursor would become corrupted looking:

* Appears as a long line
* Flickers
* Appears as 3-4 cursors all split into quarters etc

Like the original poster in that thread, and the related thread I am running two monitors as well.

Reproduction
Today I happened to possibly catch how to reproduce this bug.

Try moving your mouse from one corner of the screen at the lower right to the other. I can get it to corrupt.

I can fix it by just shaking the mouse really fast for 5 seconds or so.

See these steps to reproduce:

Can anyone else reproduce this bug (If you've been experiencing it too) using this method?

makrish

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, I can reproduce it too. I too am using two monitors, with a 5970. I also get it appearing as a black square when hovered over text. Didn't know how to get rid of it before your method, other than rebooting, thanks!

naisanza

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I get this problem after playing BFBC2. I don't know why. And it only occurs on the monitor (I have dual monitors) that was running the game on. If I move the mouse to the other monitor it's just normal.

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Also have this with an XFX 5850, happens randomly, though generally only on the desktop. The mouse appears normal on my secondary monitor.

I should mention that enabling pointer trails made the artifacting go away for me, and I find the shortest trail slightly more tolerable than the corrupted appearance so I'm using it for now. Changing it back corrupts it again. : /

ghostsquad

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I have the ATI HD 5770 and it gets corrupted randomly, usually while/after playing Rift. It only happens on one of my 3 monitors. I can confirm that turning on pointer trails gets rid of the artifacts. I'd really like to know if there is a fix out there.

Kbreese

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I have this problem too, I have an ATI HD 5800 series card and get the corrupt cursor randomly when playing DoW SS. Very annoying, and even more annoying that there is apparently STILL no fix yet. I also wasn't able to update my drivers in windows 7, the ATI program wouldn't work

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Unfortunately, after living with this off and on for several months I finally gave up and just formatted the computer because it was driving me up the wall. The problem has since stopped entirely, though I have no idea why since I didn't do anything differently (at least so far as I know).

Sorry I have no real words of wisdom to contribute, but I was never able to find a legitimate solution to the issue. I even tried changing cursors and that didn't do anything, though if you're willing to tolerate one of the third-party cursor apps (cursorFX, etc.), that will "fix" it as they use their own methods of drawing the cursor.

It's very odd that this is still popping up nearly a year after the OP; one would think this had been ironed out by now.

ghostsquad

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

I don't think that using a third party program would fix this issue.. the mouse pointer is corrupt in and out of the game. Very rarely, it will just fix itself after a few minutes. Other times, I have to reboot to fix it. Anyways.. the cursor in-game is different than the Windows cursor...

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006

I was speaking from experience, CursorFX at least did fix the problem for me. I just found it obnoxious to use in the longterm, as the last thing I need is more bloatware running in the background.

ghostsquad

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

Thanks for the info, I'm sure it will useful to someone. I'm not going to settle though until I get someone from ATI/AMD to acknowledge and fix this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.