Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Doesn't Recognize MyBook 2.0

Last response: in Storage
December 30, 2012 12:39:38 AM

Hey guys,

I'm building a computer for my parents to replace the Dell that they purchased in 2003. Suffice to say, its time had come.

Everything is going great with the build, but I'm having trouble getting the computer to recognize the external hard drive that my parents had bought to store their media/pictures/music.

The drive is a 500 GB Western Digital MyBook 2.0. It's formatted with the FAT32 filesystem. I know it works because I can plug it into other computers (my macbook pro, and my parent's old computer running XP) and it works fine.

I've seen quite a few posts regarding a similar issue, but none of the solutions have been able to resolve my issue. Here's what I have tried.

1. The disk does not show up when I go to my computer.

2. If I go to computer management -> Disk Managment , the drive shows up, in the bottom half and has not been assigned a letter. My options are ghosted if I right click on the partition. If I choose "Change Drive Letters and Paths" I get an error message that says, "The operation has failed to complete because the Disk Management console is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists, close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer." I've tried restarting Disk Management and restarting the computer, neither allow me to assign the drive a letter.

3. I tried running the DiskPart application, by going to CMD and typing in DiskPart. I can select the partition, but when I type List Volume, the volume does not show up, so I cannot assign it a letter.

4. I tried uninstalling the USB 2.0 driver and then letting Windows reinstall, but that did not work either. I also went to the Motherboard manufacturer's website (It's an ASRock Z77 Pro 4 M), and reinstalled the USB 3.0 drivers, but that did not work either.

5. Some people online have stated that it worked when they switched to a shorter USB cord. I tried a different cord that I found that was slightly shorter (though not much), but that didn't work either.

What can I do so that this computer can recognize the disk and allow me to access it?
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 1:02:32 AM

this might seem a bit lengthy but I think it might have something to do with FAT32 and win7...not sure so don't quote me...
If you need to get this resolved very quickly and with little fuss...
1. hook up the my book to a system that can read the drive and copy the contents of that drive to a safe place.
2. reconnect the my book to the pc that won't recognise it and re-formatt it as NTFS or get new drive...which ever works for you...
3. connect the newly formatted drive back to the system that has all the data safely copied to and copy them all back to this drive.
4. connect drive to original pc that should now read all the data....
then you can delete all the stuff from the safety system or I would burn them to DVDs as a hard storage just incase that external ever dies...
hope this helps...JQ
December 30, 2012 1:22:57 AM

That's a good idea but it seems like it would take quite a bit of time, and then it makes it challenging to read that data if I ever need to access it on a Mac.

Is there a way to resolve the issue with Fat32 and Windows 7?
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 1:32:16 AM

You will pobably have options for formatting the drive so you could try FAT32 and see what happens...But this is why MS went to NTFS as it is more stableand efficient..
Plus there should be some decent programs to allow NTFS on a mac...shouldn't there?
JQ
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 1:38:37 AM

the MAC should be able to read from the NTFS, but won't be able to write to the NTFS partition unless you get some 3rd party software on the mac.
December 30, 2012 5:36:21 AM

For some reason there were two partitions on the drive. A 465 MB one and a 9 MB one. When I combined the two of them together, the disk worked fine. Thanks for your help!
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 8:00:01 AM

cool beans then.
a b G Storage
December 30, 2012 1:33:41 PM

Great!!!
Happy New Year!!!!
!