Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Window 7 keyboard stops working intermittently

Last response: in Components
December 13, 2010 10:41:22 PM

Hello,
Recently, my mouse has been working intermittently. If I do a fresh start of the computer, the mouse is fine for about 6-10 clicks, then I hear the computer sound when a device is removed. About 4-5 seconds later I hear the sound indicating a device has been found. About 2 seconds later, the mouse starts working again. This last for about 10-20 seconds and then the cycle starts again. During the times when the mouse is not working, the function keys on the keyboard will not work. Sometimes, even when the mouse is working, the function keys do not work. If I don't use the mouse, I have no issues with the keyboard. I am using a Logitech mouse and a DV Keyboard. I have had Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my desktop computer for over 6 months (a fresh install) and this issue started about 2 weeks ago.
December 14, 2010 8:14:53 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
Have you tried using the mouse with different USB ports ?

Best solution

December 14, 2010 5:25:19 PM

I had a similar issue with my mouse recently, my mouse ended-up being the problem. Look if the USB connection on the PC didn't get loose or the one on the mouse itself. I know there is no "connector" on the mouse, but it doesn't mean the wire soldering cannot fail; you can try moving the wire around to reproduce the problem (that is what happened to me).
Related resources
December 16, 2010 3:07:39 AM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums
Have you tried using the mouse with different USB ports ?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried that.
December 16, 2010 3:11:06 AM

Zenthar said:
I had a similar issue with my mouse recently, my mouse ended-up being the problem. Look if the USB connection on the PC didn't get loose or the one on the mouse itself. I know there is no "connector" on the mouse, but it doesn't mean the wire soldering cannot fail; you can try moving the wire around to reproduce the problem (that is what happened to me).

I was amazed when I held the mouse and moved the cord. I was able to cause the problem I was having. Even though I suspected the mouse might be the issue, I never thought about a broken (or frayed) wire. Thanks.
December 16, 2010 3:11:18 AM

Best answer selected by docwool.
December 16, 2010 12:21:53 PM

I think it took me weeks if not months trying to figure that out, I though my PC had been hacked or something and that some backdoor was trying to mount a virtual USB device or something like that. Glad I could help you in 2-3 days ;) 
!