Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best LGA1366 for overclocking/gaming to replace P6T Deluxe V2

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 10, 2011 11:39:16 PM

Hi,

I am in need of replacing my ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. It was very effective at overclocking my CPU (I had about a 60% OC on my i7 920). I am looking the best possible motherboard for overclocking at a price around $350 or less. I have already looked at the Gigabyte G1 Sniper and Asus Rampage III but am unsure which would be better or if there is a sleeper out there I haven't found. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreicated.
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2011 11:54:24 PM

LGA1366 is dead. Intel will actually stop making processors for this chipset by the end of the year: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/20417/wave_goodbye_to_20_...

I would not sink any more money into 1366. Your budget is 350 which is great for a 1155 mobo and a 2500k processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - 220

Asrock extreme4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - 150

For 20 dollars more than your current budget, you get a much longer shelf life and a good mobo to OC with.
August 11, 2011 12:52:41 AM

Not a bad suggestion. I didnt even think of totally upgrading my chipset...hmm maybe a dead mobo was a blessing.

In your opinion, would there be any benefit in going up to the i7-2600k?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 3:12:47 AM

Only if your livelihood depended on making and editing videos. If it does not then there is no benefit to going up to 2600k
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 4:35:17 AM

Sandy Bridge 'as we know it' is soon there after dead with LGA 2011 and Ivy Bridge. The current Sandy Bridge will have a much shorter lifespan than the LGA 1366...

You might want to look before labeling -> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

LGA 1366 is more than i7 930/955, it also includes LGA 1366 Xeon which can access 288GB and the Xeon LGA 1155 craps-out at 32GB.

I'll take my year-plus old i7 980X against any i7-2600K, I can 5GHz with 6-core ;) 
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 4:55:49 AM

IF you need a replacement until the LGA 2011 then I'd look at either the EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR or G1.Guerrilla {Marvell 9182 - x2 lanes} if you have an SSD faster than 370 MB/s.
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 5:00:57 AM

jaquith said:
Sandy Bridge 'as we know it' is soon there after dead with LGA 2011 and Ivy Bridge. The current Sandy Bridge will have a much shorter lifespan than the LGA 1366...

You might want to look before labeling -> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

LGA 1366 is more than i7 930/955, it also includes LGA 1366 Xeon which can access 288GB and the Xeon LGA 1155 craps-out at 32GB.

I'll take my year-plus old i7 980X against any i7-2600K, I can 5GHz with 6-core ;) 


The LGA 1366 Xeon is by no stretch of the imagination flying off the shelves...I would put money on the fact that the 2600k outsells the xeon by more than a 20 to 1 margin.

Also, the i7 980x sells for twice the price of the 2600k...definitely not mainstream. In any situation, my initial recommendation stands, 1366 is pretty much dead. From a price to performance perspective, xeon is not worth it. Just like from a price to performance perspective, a tri sli or tri cf setup is not worth it.

LGA 1155 will be compatible with ivy bridge and since ivy bridge is delayed, you will get much longer shelf life going LGA 1155.

a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 5:07:30 AM

jaquith said:
IF you need a replacement until the LGA 2011 then I'd look at either the EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR or G1.Guerrilla {Marvell 9182 - x2 lanes} if you have an SSD faster than 370 MB/s.


When will LGA 2011 come out? Ivy bridge is delayed and I presume LGA 2011 will be also...I doubt it will come out even by Q1 2012...

http://lenzfire.com/2011/07/intel-sandy-bridge-e-x79-lg...

Even when lga 2011 does come out with the processors, when will the mainstream solutions be released and at what price? Waiting for technology is a losing game....

a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 6:33:16 AM

The Core i7 Extreme 3960X is due out in November 2011 or 'Q4 2011' the Core i7 Extreme 3980X Q1 2012. I Don't know when or IF a SB-E (8-core) will be released, it 'was' slated...

I've guessed before 3960X/3980X = $700~$1000, the Core i7 3930K $450~$600 = GUESSING.

I'm not 'mainstream' - hopefully never will be either; in my world the i7 930's I have are 'mainstream'. You're construing LGA 1155 with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, the Ivy Bridge is LGA 1155 and that's the beginning and end, the Ivy Bridge besides being more efficient and ~20% faster has PCIe 3.0 -- meaning you'll have to toss your current LGA 1155 MOBO to see the PCIe benefits plus the additional new chipsets features.

LGA 1156/LGA 1155 = Consumer Line {aka Mainstream} ; since day 1

LGA 1366/LGA 2011 = Extreme Line ; since day 1

The Ivy Bridge will arrive in about March and the SB-E should have been released already *** CAUSE -> FAILED P67/H67 B2 chipsets *** Intel purposely delayed both SB-E & Ivy Bridge to make-up for lost sales time = money.

You gotta understand -- not everyone's the same, in my area people can afford this easily. However, because of the recession and from what I've known since 2005 pricing is very unpredictable -- we are guaranteed another equally harsh recession -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Forec... so I seriously doubt Intel will charge like they have in the past; we'll see.

In my world {small data center} I have close to the opposite, (1) i7 9xx : (18) Xeon {2-4 CPUs (LGA 1567)}. 9.99/10 this site and most every other site you visit, financial centers, most anything commercial are being run on LGA 1366/1567 Xeon. LGA 1366 is going to be around for a sometime yet.
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 6:45:03 AM

jaquith said:
The Core i7 Extreme 3960X is due out in November 2011 or 'Q4 2011' the Core i7 Extreme 3980X Q1 2012. I Don't know when or IF a SB-E (8-core) will be released, it 'was' slated...

I've guessed before 3960X/3980X = $700~$1000, the Core i7 3930K $450~$600 = GUESSING.

I'm not 'mainstream' - hopefully never will be either; in my world the i7 930's I have are 'mainstream'. You're construing LGA 1155 with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, the Ivy Bridge is LGA 1155 and that's the beginning and end, the Ivy Bridge besides being more efficient and ~20% faster has PCIe 3.0 -- meaning you'll have to toss your current LGA 1155 MOBO to see the PCIe benefits plus the additional new chipsets features.

LGA 1156/LGA 1155 = Consumer Line {aka Mainstream} ; since day 1

LGA 1366/LGA 2011 = Extreme Line ; since day 1

The Ivy Bridge will arrive in about March and the SB-E should have been released already *** CAUSE -> FAILED P67/H67 B2 chipsets *** Intel purposely delayed both SB-E & Ivy Bridge to make-up for lost sales time = money.

You gotta understand -- not everyone's the same, in my area people can afford this easily. However, because of the recession and from what I've known since 2005 pricing is very unpredictable -- we are guaranteed another equally harsh recession -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Forec... so I seriously doubt Intel will charge like they have in the past; we'll see.

In my world {small data center} I have close to the opposite, (1) i7 9xx : (18) Xeon {2-4 CPUs (LGA 1567)}. 9.99/10 this site and most every other site you visit, financial centers, most anything commercial are being run on LGA 1366/1567 Xeon. LGA 1366 is going to be around for a sometime yet.


nice explanation. Only thing is there are now mobos coming out with pcie 3.0 support with ivy bridge..ie. the asrock extreme4 gen3
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2011 8:05:16 AM

I guess no one told the board makers that LGA 1366 was dead because Asus, Gigabyte and Evga have all released new 1366 boards with USB 3.0 and Sata 6G. I guess they'll smarten up eventually.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 3:05:25 PM

chillin15 said:
nice explanation. Only thing is there are now mobos coming out with pcie 3.0 support with ivy bridge..ie. the asrock extreme4 gen3

I know of them and I posted them prior to their release -> http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/overview.html , and I have my reservations on will/how the Ivy Bridge will 'see' {SWITCH} the PCIe 3.0 on those MOBOs. My feeling it's another 'bastardized' attempt to 'sell' MOBOs using the PCIe 3.0 with questionable Ivy Bridge support; I get the pathways.

Also, knowing the PCIe 2.x x8 -> x16 0-6FPS gains -> PCIe 3.0 {??}FPS gains ; this further requires everything to be PCIe 3.0 {MOBO, CPU & GPU(s)} to have any benefits. I'm 'hoping' to see 4-WAY SLI, but I can see the PCIe lanes division arguments holding it back.

Again, since EVERYTHING MUST be PCIe 3.0 MOBO, CPU & GPU(s) I see no compelling reason to 'piecemeal' with added risk of compatibility an ASRock Gen 3. You argue the 'cost' of the i7 990X - tossing in the garbage GPU(s) and a Sandy Bridge CPU is completely foolish, a waste of money, and totally cost ineffective - makes the 990X damn cheap. Imagine if Intel decided to sell the i7 990X for the same price as the i7-2600K ** which would you buy?? ** IF you say SB then that's totally CrAzY.

a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 3:48:25 PM

jaquith said:
I know of them and I posted them prior to their release -> http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/overview.html , and I have my reservations on will/how the Ivy Bridge will 'see' {SWITCH} the PCIe 3.0 on those MOBOs. My feeling it's another 'bastardized' attempt to 'sell' MOBOs using the PCIe 3.0 with questionable Ivy Bridge support; I get the pathways.

Also, knowing the PCIe 2.x x8 -> x16 0-6FPS gains -> PCIe 3.0 {??}FPS gains ; this further requires everything to be PCIe 3.0 {MOBO, CPU & GPU(s)} to have any benefits. I'm 'hoping' to see 4-WAY SLI, but I can see the PCIe lanes division arguments holding it back.

Again, since EVERYTHING MUST be PCIe 3.0 MOBO, CPU & GPU(s) I see no compelling reason to 'piecemeal' with added risk of compatibility an ASRock Gen 3. You argue the 'cost' of the i7 990X - tossing in the garbage GPU(s) and a Sandy Bridge CPU is completely foolish, a waste of money, and totally cost ineffective - makes the 990X damn cheap. Imagine if Intel decided to sell the i7 990X for the same price as the i7-2600K ** which would you buy?? ** IF you say SB then that's totally CrAzY.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Chipsets-Detailed-Includes-Z77-Z75-and-H77-Consumer-Models-4.jpg


Maybe I'm confused but isn't everything on the asrock gen3 pcie3 compatiable - the mobo says it is, ivy bridge will be and can be used on the gen3, and of course the gpu will need to be too and can be because of the pcie3.0 slot..so what is the diff between the gen3 and what you might call "true pcie 3 compatible setups?"

a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 3:52:21 PM

tinmann said:
I guess no one told the board makers that LGA 1366 was dead because Asus, Gigabyte and Evga have all released new 1366 boards with USB 3.0 and Sata 6G. I guess they'll smarten up eventually.


Yes, you should link them to this:
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/20417/wave_goodbye_to_20_...

Actually, there are still many laptops being produced that are core duos - should I assume core duo is alive and well?

Those mobo makers are just trying to squeeze out all the money out of the 1366 before it dies..that is not a subjective opinion but a fact.

Intel is labeling it EOL - END OF LIFE. lol, if I scheduled a funeral and asked you to attend, would that make you feel better?

LGA 1155's production will not be stopped. I don;t know what else to say...
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 4:46:28 PM

Quote:
I am in need of replacing my ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. It was very effective at overclocking my CPU (I had about a 60% OC on my i7 920). I am looking the best possible motherboard for overclocking at a price around $350 or less. I have already looked at the Gigabyte G1 Sniper and Asus Rampage III but am unsure which would be better or if there is a sleeper out there I haven't found. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreicated.



Frankly, the Sandy Bridge vs 1366 debate is completely irrelevant in this case. OP already has a i7 920 -- this is a chip selling for nearly $200 on eBay and it will handle anything you will throw at it.

I recommend you stick with X58; the EVGA X58 board jaquith suggested. Given EVGA's brand reputation, it will likely have fantastic resale value when you do move on to another chipset.

In my opinion -- there was never any reason for anyone to go from 1366->1155 unless they have cash to burn. You wouldn't see much of a speed increase for today's performance-applications.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 6:04:11 PM

chillin15 said:
Maybe I'm confused but isn't everything on the asrock gen3 pcie3 compatiable - the mobo says it is, ivy bridge will be and can be used on the gen3, and of course the gpu will need to be too and can be because of the pcie3.0 slot..so what is the diff between the gen3 and what you might call "true pcie 3 compatible setups?"

Reality check, again, say you buy an LGA 1155 PCIe 3.0 MOBO - today - then what??!! Both your CPU and GPU(s) are running PCIe 2.x -- so you you trash your Sandy Bridge {eBay} and trash your GPUs {eBay} when the Ivy Bridge and PCIe 3.0 GPU(s) become available on a - then old Chipset??!! It's lunacy.

Next, you hope an pray -- after your lunacy episode -- that there isn't some oopsy compatibility issue with the ASRock. I hate to see yet another Class Action Lawsuit over potentially false claims -- there's been too many similar statements of assumed facts turning into fiction.

There's no upside other than ASRock finding some way to convince people to buy their stuff.

Simply I have to see it to know it.

The quickest path to full PCIe 3.0 is the SB-E, LGA 2011 MOBO and 'hopefully' soon a GPU that justifies PCIe 3.0; operative word 'justifies.' My money is when the first PCIe 3.0 high-end GPUs are tested -- it's going to be WTH?! 0-2FPS.
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 6:31:20 PM

jaquith said:
Reality check, again, say you buy an LGA 1155 PCIe 3.0 MOBO - today - then what??!! Both your CPU and GPU(s) are running PCIe 2.x -- so you you trash your Sandy Bridge {eBay} and trash your GPUs {eBay} when the Ivy Bridge and PCIe 3.0 GPU(s) become available on a - then old Chipset??!! It's lunacy.

Next, you hope an pray -- after your lunacy episode -- that there isn't some oopsy compatibility issue with the ASRock. I hate to see yet another Class Action Lawsuit over potentially false claims -- there's been too many similar statements of assumed facts turning into fiction.

There's no upside other than ASRock finding some way to convince people to buy their stuff.

Simply I have to see it to know it.

The quickest path to full PCIe 3.0 is the SB-E, LGA 2011 MOBO and 'hopefully' soon a GPU that justifies PCIe 3.0; operative word 'justifies.' My money is when the first PCIe 3.0 high-end GPUs are tested -- it's going to be WTH?! 0-2FPS.



It's not lunacy. Sinking more money into a dead chipset is lunacy. You call LGA 1155 an "old chipset" by the time LGA 2011 comes out then what does that make LGA 1366 - ancient? If he gets another LGA 1366 mobo and wants to upgrade to 2011, he has to dump the GPU, CPU, AND mobo. At least in my scenario, he can keep the mobo.

As far as compatibility issues - why is ASrock more likely to have compatibility issues than gigabyte or asus when they release their pcie3 boards?

"quickest path" is relative. LGA 2011 is not due out for another 4 months at least. With all the delays I've been hearing about, it is likely that will be an additional 1-2 months.

Original OP is faced with two situations

1) Buy another 1366 mobo that supports processors that intel is telling everyone has reached their End of life (intel's words, not mine) OR
2) go 1155 with some of the new mobos that support future tech ie. pcie 3.0

People are telling the OP to spend 250 on a 1366 mobo and I'm a lunatic lol
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 7:29:48 PM

You are somehow calculating in your mind that the i7 920 is worthless and has no computing power?!

To me it's all value => $ Money In -> Performance Out

Hard-line gaming approach:

Costs
$220 i5-2500K
$240 GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
=====
$460

$0 i7 920
$220 EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR
====
$220
Leaving $240 credit - Choices: 1. $240 in wallet, 2. Spending Spree.

Say the OP has a e.g. GTX 470
$190 GTX 470
$50 3x2GB
====
$460

Compare SAME MONEY:
i5-2500K + GTX 470 + 6GB vs i7 920 + 2-WAY SLI GTX 470 + 12GB ; let do some benching and gaming ;) 

The OLD POS i7 920 will, for the same outlay of $, kick the crap out of the SB. IF the OP wants PCIe then LGA 2011 - it'll kick the crap out of the SB + Gen 3 ASRock and by the time you factor in the roller coaster of ASRock Gen 3, wasted money and time - none of this makes any sence. Further, if the OP is getting >60FPS, you know this argument, then those frames are bye-bye unless you have a 120Hz monitor.

I do enjoy crazy high benching, but in the Real World it amounts to nothing.

When you start upping the AA to say 8xAA or higher the CPU is not the bottleneck, it's the GPU(s). I argued this point with Tom when he did is LGA 1366 vs LGA 1155. Who's going to look at 0xAA or 4xAA??
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 8:45:37 PM

My recommendation:
Sell i7 920 = 200 (supposedly that is the going price on ebay as one poster pointed out)
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 (160) + I5 2500k (220) = $380

380-200 = $160

EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR = $220
i7 920 = 0

None of my posts have I suggested to get a UD5. Why? Because the extreme gen3 can get to 5ghz no prob.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z68_extreme...

A z68 but there is no performance or OC diff between the z68 and p67. So I am not recommending a UD5.

What do you get with my recommendation? A chipset that doesn't have a death date that is the end of this year.
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 9:01:24 PM

You're forgetting transactions costs -- eBay takes about 10% of every thing you sell. For things you would buy, you're on the hook for sales tax and shipping. The case for upgrading from X58 to Sandy Bridge really breaks down.

There is also the hassle factor. What exactly are you getting for all your trouble? A marginally faster Sandy Bridge system? It's not going to make OP's games run at a faster frame rate; it's not going to make his OS load noticably faster.

And in terms of obsolescence -- how many more 1155 processors is Intel gonna make? The days of 775 form factor after 775 form factor are over. After the 2600k, there's no where to upgrade. Might as well stick with the processor he has now until an actual upgrade path opens...
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 9:02:57 PM

So you feel 5GHz and a vCore of 1.45v is good? Versus UD5 vCore of 1.30v. Say you have a +0.05~+0.10v CPU variance - poof goes your obtainable OC. vCore 1.45v and higher will either Thermally limit you and/or toast your SB in a year - maybe year and a half.

The going price on eBay for use i7 920 used is $130~$150.
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 9:21:22 PM

jaquith said:
So you feel 5GHz and a vCore of 1.45v is good? Versus UD5 vCore of 1.30v. Say you have a +0.05~+0.10v CPU variance - poof goes your obtainable OC. vCore 1.45v and higher will either Thermally limit you and/or toast your SB in a year - maybe year and a half.

The going price on eBay for use i7 920 used is $130~$150.


I know UD5 is better if all things were equal..I'm just saying from a price to performance perspective, the asrock gen3 is better. more features, same ability to oc, much cheaper price.

To be honest, I didn;t even check ebay, I just quoted what fullofzen said.

Even if he cannot sell his i7 920...to tell the guy to spend 220 of his hard earned cash for a 1366 mobo in this day and age should be a crime. what's the number for the police...
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 9:28:29 PM

jaquith said:
So you feel 5GHz and a vCore of 1.45v is good? Versus UD5 vCore of 1.30v. Say you have a +0.05~+0.10v CPU variance - poof goes your obtainable OC. vCore 1.45v and higher will either Thermally limit you and/or toast your SB in a year - maybe year and a half.

The going price on eBay for use i7 920 used is $130~$150.


Hey, a year to a year in half LGA 2011 should be out right? haha j/k

If your temps are good, I have been told to stay under 1.5v. I think it all depends on the temps and the quality of the processor you get. If OC'ing over 5ghz is the OP's goal, then I would go ud5. However, most people stay under 5ghz.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 9:28:35 PM

I saw that retarded "16 CPUs, One Core Each" article - it's stupid; what kind of dip$hit is going to disable 3 core much-less 5 cores.

I had this visual - like running a 5K: on your a$$ vs on your knees vs on your bare feet vs wearing shoes vs being pulled my a golf cart vs etc....

This is getting really goofy - come on...
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 9:31:57 PM

How about the second review? What fatal flaw did you find there?

a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 11, 2011 10:06:34 PM

Read my 'visual' above.

Regarding the second article, seen it before, it doesn't jive with any other tests. Hmmm :heink:  , 140FPS HD 6970 vs 109FPS 3-WAY HD 6950. In gaming at best it's 0xAA which is CPU. However, assuming that YOU DO Game then you 'should' know 8xAA or 16xAA is ALL about the GPU(s).

GPU comparisons:
Link1 8xAA - http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1085/pg10/gtx-570...
Link2 - http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-6950-6970-review/1...

This is Tom's article for believable and I argued with him because it misleads people and another 0xAA and 4xAA and not a clock-per-clock, but a good comparison to the OP's i7 920 vs i7-2600K -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-gaming-3-way-sl...

Xbit ATI Radeon SINGLE HD 6970:


Tom's 3-WAY HD 6950:
August 12, 2011 8:03:11 AM

Good points made by both of you. I'm really on the fence between going 1155 or 1366. One problem with going 1155 would be I'd also need new RAM. I currently have a triple channel kit and don't see myself using only 2 sticks of it in a new setup.

I also know I am not going to really see much of a noticable boost between my i7 920 which was at 4.2GHz and an i5-2500k at whatever OC I could manage. Sure my benches will go up, but will that be worth the couple hundred?

a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 2:23:28 PM

TheGooseyOne said:
Good points made by both of you. I'm really on the fence between going 1155 or 1366. One problem with going 1155 would be I'd also need new RAM. I currently have a triple channel kit and don't see myself using only 2 sticks of it in a new setup.

I also know I am not going to really see much of a noticable boost between my i7 920 which was at 4.2GHz and an i5-2500k at whatever OC I could manage. Sure my benches will go up, but will that be worth the couple hundred?


NO!
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 4:19:36 PM

TheGooseyOne said:
Good points made by both of you. I'm really on the fence between going 1155 or 1366. One problem with going 1155 would be I'd also need new RAM. I currently have a triple channel kit and don't see myself using only 2 sticks of it in a new setup.

I also know I am not going to really see much of a noticable boost between my i7 920 which was at 4.2GHz and an i5-2500k at whatever OC I could manage. Sure my benches will go up, but will that be worth the couple hundred?


Questions we should of asked you:

When do you plan to upgrade? If the answer is in 7 months, I would get a cheapt 1366 board (definitely not one costing 220) and stick it out for 7 months and upgrade to 2011.

If it is longer than a year, go lga 1155, sell your i7 920.

Sandy Bridge not only outperforms X58 in benchmarks...but as you can see from that second xbit article, it's a better overall processor in editing, power consumption, gaming, etc.

If 220 is not a lot of money for you, then you can get the board suggested but to me, sinking 220 into a dead chipset is not worth it...
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 12, 2011 5:00:00 PM

LGA 1366 -> LGA 2011 ; makes sense.
LGA 1366 -> LGA 1155 ; makes no sense - it's a side grade.

Xbit doesn't jive with ANY other benches I've seen.

Here's a Stock to Stock CPU comparison -> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=287 ; now if you OC say 4GHz to 4GHz the differences get blurry.

Questions:
1. What are you doing with your PC? What are you constantly doing?
2. Is your ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 - BAD? Why are you replacing? It has a 3 year warranty.
3. Do you have an SSD?
4. What are your full specs? GPU(s), PSU, RAM, Monitor(s), etc

Otherwise everyone is off chasing chickens - guessing what's best.
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 5:25:45 PM

jaquith said:
LGA 1366 -> LGA 2011 ; makes sense.
LGA 1366 -> LGA 1155 ; makes no sense - it's a side grade.

Xbit doesn't jive with ANY other benches I've seen.

Here's a Stock to Stock CPU comparison -> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=287 ; now if you OC say 4GHz to 4GHz the differences get blurry.

Questions:
1. What are you doing with your PC? What are you constantly doing?
2. Is your ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 - BAD? Why are you replacing? It has a 3 year warranty.
3. Do you have an SSD?
4. What are your full specs? GPU(s), PSU, RAM, Monitor(s), etc

Otherwise everyone is off chasing chickens - guessing what's best.


the link you posted shows the 2600k beating the 920 on almost every single benchmark....which just confirms what I've been saying. AM I read the graphs wrong?
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 5:30:15 PM

God must have wanted this argument put to rest:

Z68 vs. X58 - Which Is The Better Gaming Platform?

Conclusion:
Today, though, you can see even with the extra strong performing setup that is the GTX 580 in SLI, the Z68 platform is ultimately the faster option with it coming ahead of the X58 more often than it comes in behind it. A lot of this is due to the fact that we're able to overclock the 2600k so much higher than our 980X.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4240/z68_vs_x58_which...

a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 12, 2011 5:54:49 PM

The ARGUMENT isn't IF the Sandy Bridge is 'better' the ARGUMENT is if it's has ANY real value to the OP's use and differences.

Real World:
IF having 110FPS SB OR 104FPS 920 and spending ANY MONEY for the +6FPS is CrAzY NuTs! IF the OP's achieving >45FPS {it's playable}, or ANYTHING >60FPS it wasted on a 60Hz monitor.

Now IF you 8xAA or 16xAA the Bottleneck isn't the SB vs 920 -- It's 100% the GPU(s) Bottleneck.

Next, if the OP is CONSTANTLY Rendering 5 Hours SB OR 5.5 Hours 920 AND the daily job get finished - still no reason for SB. Frankly, this is were Xeon(s) comes into play -> 2 Hours/1 Hour/etc.

The 'problem' is when the FPS is too low for play and the cost of GPU(s) + CPU bottlenecks to the point of 'diminishing returns'.

Here's a diminishing returns Bottleneck example:

a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 6:00:17 PM

"LGA 1366 -> LGA 2011 ; makes sense.
LGA 1366 -> LGA 1155 ; makes no sense - it's a side grade."

That is what you just posted. So what you meant to say is:

UPgrade instead of side grade. It's just I'm getting conflicting messages from you. I feel like I'm dating you.

Yes, SB is better and it's up to the OP to determine whether it is better enough to upgrade to. I've linked two articles which shows gaming performance and other benchmarks which show the differences. It will be up to him if he wants to UPGRADE and whether it's worth the cost or stick with X58 and sink another 220 into something inferior.
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 12, 2011 6:40:42 PM

LGA 1366 -> LGA 2011 ; CPU ONLY ; makes sense - 45% improvement
LGA 1366 -> LGA 1155 ; CPU ONLY ; makes no sense - it's a side grade - 16% improvement

Balance - Gaming typical HD monitor, say I take a GeForce 9800 GT run it on a i7 9xx, SB, or SB-E this is totally unbalanced and the CPU won't do a damned thing to play e.g. Just Cause 2. Conversely, if I take a GTX 570 on Just Cause 2 55.4FPS SB vs 54.1FPS 920 WHERE'S the '16% improvement' poof all gone - 2%.

Take a minute and LOOK with your EYES :o  at this article -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-gaming-3-way-sl... ; read some pictures if nothing else.

DUMB CPU 'upgrade' Choice -> 110FPS SB OR 104FPS 920

You are trying to convince the OP to waste their money, in fact IMO for 'Free' RMA the ASUS is bad it has a 3 year warranty.

IF I wanted to improve overall performance: 1. 120GB SSD, 2. new/second GPU, 3. 6GB+ RAM - rendering 12GB.
August 12, 2011 7:04:20 PM

jaquith said:
LGA 1366 -> LGA 2011 ; makes sense.
LGA 1366 -> LGA 1155 ; makes no sense - it's a side grade.

Xbit doesn't jive with ANY other benches I've seen.

Here's a Stock to Stock CPU comparison -> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/47?vs=287 ; now if you OC say 4GHz to 4GHz the differences get blurry.

Questions:
1. What are you doing with your PC? What are you constantly doing?
2. Is your ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 - BAD? Why are you replacing? It has a 3 year warranty.
3. Do you have an SSD?
4. What are your full specs? GPU(s), PSU, RAM, Monitor(s), etc

Otherwise everyone is off chasing chickens - guessing what's best.


1) Gaming and high-intenisty apps like Maya/Photoshop/After Effects (which is why I am leery about losing HT)
2) It died a week ago, I am currently RMA'ing it but I can't really be out of a PC for an entire month, so I would like to buy a new mobo and eBay my board for ~$150
3) Yes, but its kingston from right when they were starting out and isnt very fast. I could definitely upgrade here...
4) Radeon HD5850 (upgrading to either 6950/GTX570...but thats another thread), Corsair 750TX, 6GB OCZ Platinum DDR1866, LG 1080p monitor
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 12, 2011 7:36:23 PM

Maya actually runs best on AMD 6-core. Adobe acceleration indeed benefits from HT, high IOPS 'SSD' for both project file(s) and scratch disk -- try it once on a RAM Drive -- yeah buddy! All three need >8GB of RAM.

Neither GPU 6950/GTX570 - you really need a Pro GPU e.g. Quadro OpenGL acceleration; the BIOS hacked consumer GPU's don't perform the same.

The problem is your OCZ RAM, they quit making RAM and my experience is OCZ is horrible RAM all by itself let alone 'mixing' e.g. OCZ + Corsair/etc. The 750W is minimum for OC the CPU + GPU.

RAM 'today's deal' I would look at (2) sets of $150 24GB!!! Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Model 998995 ; holly cow {$150 24GB} $150 24GB DDR3 1600 trumps $160 12GB DDR3 2000 MHz all day.
Side-by-Side -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|20-226-192^20-226-192-TS%2C20-226-195^20-226-195-TS

RAMDISK -> http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php

--
edit: BTW the new LGA 2011 SB-E are 6/6 (12) CPU, the LGA 1155 is limited to 4/4 in the Core i7 models.
August 12, 2011 8:43:53 PM

Wait what? I'm not going to get an AMD CPU or a Quadro GPU....sure I use those applications but gaming is still my PC's main component.

As for the OCZ RAM, it has been flawless for 2 years and allowed me to easily OC my i7 920 to 4.2GHz so I have no complaints. I would be interested in upgrading to 12GB as you mention. I am a little confused though, your posted link would be $300 for 24GB of RAM, not $150.

Also, is the eVGA board you recommended above your absolute recommendation for a 1366 board for OC'ing? That was my main question and I'm getting down to the time to decide or I might as well wait for the RMA to return, hah
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 12, 2011 10:04:55 PM

I wasn't suggesting you get an AMD, just noting it's affect with Maya only.

The Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB DDR3 1600 Model 998995 is $75 per 12GB Kit, 2*12GB = 24GB 2*$75 = $150 ; so yeah $150 = 24GB -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For Gaming on X58 more than 12GB does nothing to improve Gaming, Rendering - yep more = faster rending; it depends on the Project size.

I've had really good luck on EVGA for Gaming, and with my slue of ASUS P6X58D-E, but IF you get an example OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 550/500 MB/s then the Marvell 91xx is going to cap it at 370~390 MB/s versus Marvell 918x 570~595 MB/s cap. So if you want an OCZ Vertex 3 then get a Gigabyte G1.Guerrilla {Marvell 9182 - x2 lanes}.
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2011 10:51:15 PM

jaquith said:
LGA 1366 -> LGA 2011 ; CPU ONLY ; makes sense - 45% improvement
LGA 1366 -> LGA 1155 ; CPU ONLY ; makes no sense - it's a side grade - 16% improvement

Balance - Gaming typical HD monitor, say I take a GeForce 9800 GT run it on a i7 9xx, SB, or SB-E this is totally unbalanced and the CPU won't do a damned thing to play e.g. Just Cause 2. Conversely, if I take a GTX 570 on Just Cause 2 55.4FPS SB vs 54.1FPS 920 WHERE'S the '16% improvement' poof all gone - 2%.

Take a minute and LOOK with your EYES :o  at this article -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-gaming-3-way-sl... ; read some pictures if nothing else.

DUMB CPU 'upgrade' Choice -> 110FPS SB OR 104FPS 920

You are trying to convince the OP to waste their money, in fact IMO for 'Free' RMA the ASUS is bad it has a 3 year warranty.

IF I wanted to improve overall performance: 1. 120GB SSD, 2. new/second GPU, 3. 6GB+ RAM - rendering 12GB.


It's been fun but it's hard to argue with someone who picks and chooses reviews to form opinions while ignoring others and also who just pulls statistics from one benchmark and extrapolates it or worse yet, just makes stuff up off of hearsay without any evidence. Oh by the way, if you want to disprove an article, you do it by disproving methodology not by saying - oh well that doesn't agree with the articles that I agree with so it's wrong.

You want me to read articles, okay let's read the xbit article and let's see if we can get an idea of HOW MUCH better SB is better than X58 okay?

Is the OP even sli'ing? if not, why are you looking at tri sli, tri cf articles?

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-26...

Test config: Same testbed, different processor

i960 versus i5 2500k (just remember the 920 performance differential will be even LARGER)

sysmark 2007 - 10% difference
e-learning - 10%
video creation - 4%
productivity - 8%
3D - 11%
Far Cry 2 1680x1060 - 12%
SC2 1680x1050 - 8%
f1 2010 same res - 10%
mafia 2 same res - 5%
metro 2033 same res + physx - 30% difference
civ v same res - 10%
winrar - 8%
true crypt - 0%
adobe photoshop - 30%
adobe lightroom - 0%
itunes 10 encoding - 15%
sonar x1 producer - 16%
x264 video transcoding - -1%
adobe priemere - <1%
cinebench - -1%
3dsmax - <1%
power consumption idle - 54% improvement
power consumption load - 52% improvement

performance in OC: not tested with 960 but differential gap widens between the best i7 and the SB i7

If there is one thing I agree with jaquith about it is that you should just stick with RMA. Don't watse your money on 1366.....

Just from the above figures, a 920 versus a 2500k, you are looking at at least a 25% improvement with a jump to 1155 - especially at resolutions higher than the ones in that article.

Oh btw, from dictionary.com:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/upgrade - To raise to a higher grade or standard

yes, I would call 1155 an UPGRADE from 1366 and the dictionary would agree with me. Since the numbers are higher, it means it's an upgrade.

anyways, I'm done arguing
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 13, 2011 12:51:25 AM

TheGooseyOne said:
... but gaming is still my PC's main component....easily OC my i7 920 to 4.2GHz so I have no complaints.

@chillin15:
OC CPUs @ 4GHz clock per clock - 'SB' Intel Core i7-2600K vs 'X58' Intel Core i7-920, HD @60Hz Resolution, 4xAA & High Details, ; Gaming Results:

AVP
SB = 61.1/40.4
X58 = 61.1/40.4
0/0 ; 0% average gain

Crysis
SB = 47.2/40.2
X58 = 42.7/38.9
0.5/1.3 ; 1.9% average gain

F2010
SB = 80.9/72.6
X58 = 71.6/70.5
9.3/2.1 ; 7.0% average gain

STALKER
SB = 82.5/58.5
X58 = 82.4/58.3
0.1/0.2 ; 0.2% average gain

Average gain = 2.3% SB vs X58

Now, the millisecond you go to 8xAA & High Details - poof it's all about the GPU the frame rates would be negligible. For me to recommend to the OP to rebuild their rig for +2.3% is CrAzY.

The article included Single GPU, 2-WAY SLI/CF, and 3-WAY SLI/CF. IF I were to spend money {see above again}.

A 'Side Grade' to me is when the overall performance doesn't either justify an appreciable improvement for the 'Purposes' intended AND/OR the increase in performance can be better achieved through BETTER SUBSTITUTED components e.g. GPU. In this case +$200 or more: 1. GPU, 2. Overall SSD. Clearly, IF the OP $ per $ Maximized +$200:

Example i5-2500K + GTX 570 ($300) HDD vs i7 920 + GTX 580 ($400) + $100 SSD ; the i7 920 would be by far the better performer for the OP needs.

IF the OP was starting from scratch and needed a NEW PC NOW - then DUH I'd be recommending an i7-2600K, 4x4GB, etc.

Yeah I'm tired of this pointless argument myself ; we agree on something!
August 13, 2011 6:57:25 AM

Chillin, thanks for all of your help but I think I am going to go more in the direction of jacquith. I agree with him that move to an i5-2500k would be more of a sidegrade. I was getting great OC's with my P6T deluxe and i7 920, and while I'm tempted by a possible 5GHz OC from the 2500k along with the upgraded chipset, I just don't think it will be worth it. When I was gaming on my rig before the mobo died, it was clear that my video card was the bottleneck, not my NB and CPU. After checking on eBay I just dont think I would get enough money out of my 920 and RAM to justify switching over.

My plan atm is to get a new 1366 board and sell my P6T Deluxe on eBay (~$150). If I get one like the Guerilla, which is $220 on tigerdirect atm, I'll be out $70 but have a working PC weeks before my RMA gets back (which is critical for me for work/school coming up...I can't keep using this old heap I'm on atm). Also I will get USB and SATA 3 which my current mobo lacks. IMO thats a worthy purchase.

New question before the thread locks, whats the best SSD for $200 or under? Now that I'll have a board that can use it I'm thinking of buying one...
a c 715 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
August 13, 2011 1:05:33 PM

No question the $199.99 OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB Read 550 MB/s & Write 500 MB/s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... however it would require the G1.Guerrilla {Marvell 9182 - x2 lanes}.

SSD Installation tips:
1. Verify the latest firmware is installed; if not install firmware {if possible use a donor PC and do it prior to format/OS installation} - http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_3,_Ve...
2. Use the latest Marvell drivers on Gigabyte's site, in fact use only the drivers on GA's site {not the MOBO's CD/DVD} - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...
3. Set both SATA and Marvell, in BIOS, to AHCI prior to OS install. Once OS is installed verify that the Start values = 0 ; Microsoft - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 & see this image -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/AHCI_...
4. Bench test with ATTO {official site} - http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_B...

G1.Guerrilla - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

Let me know how it all turns-out.

Good Luck! :) 
January 13, 2012 11:59:05 PM

I have an i7 930 with a GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard, it makes me so sad that this chipset is dead, I purchased it about a year and a half ago, I didn't think 1155 out performed 1366 by all that much when both cpu's are overclocked, how much longer will 1366 be fast enough before GPU's start to get held back by the CPU?
!